IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lethal bronzing in Florida

BlueMarlin226

As a lover of palms, I’m stressing about the future of our palms in the state of Florida. From what I’ve read, it’s been in Florida since 2006 and in Yucatan Mexico and Texas before that. Even so, I haven’t noticed it until earlier this year. I’m in Lakeland, and I’ve noticed that a ton of palms of multiple varieties are dead or dying. What is it that caused the massive acceleration of lethal bronzing in the past year, and what could be lasting effects of this horrible blight?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The insect that spreads lethal bronzing makes it's home in turfgrass. It is speculated that it is being spread all across the state because of the sod farm industry. There is no way to stop it, it just needs to run it's course just like the coconut lethal yellowing a few years back. All you can do is plant palm species that the insect doesn't prefer like Livistonia.

• Like 3

Ok. Good place to post this question. I have a 4 stem Adonidia planted in my yard. Was started as a 2 or 3 gallon pot in the summer of 2018. This year was a little cooler than the past couple of years so I thought I was seeing cold damage. I think my lowest low was 36F this year but lots of nights in the 40s and probably some frost/frozen dew on these a couple of times. We did have a warm February though overall. Two of the four palms look decent, two have lost a lot of older leaves. They have zero overhead canopy. The emerging spears are still solid and the trunks and crownshafts feel solid. Is this lethal bronzing or cold damage? If it is lethal bronzing, can it spread from the two shabby looking palms to the two healthier ones? I recently yanked out a bunch of bird of paradise from this landscape bed so there was a lot more competition here up until a week ago.

5A29E463-5246-4F36-9083-680BF6ED2DC2.jpeg

7AD7956A-0318-4038-8599-153938043DEE.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

And then there were two... I went ahead and cut out the two questionable ones. I think it was prolonged cold/cool damage that did them in. The outer parts of the trunks were brown on the cross section once cut and one had definite secondary fungus starting to grow. The other two are opening new spears and look fine but unfortunately I put a quarter inch deep cut into one of the healthy ones while trying to cut a dead one out. We will see if I passed some sort of pathogen to the healthy one. I bleached all my tools afterward and I sprayed the cut trunks and my oops cut on the healthy one with 1:10 bleach solution. If the other two die I won’t be upset. Opens up a prime spot for something new!! 

BC4DFB7E-C7D8-48C4-BC42-271C4CA7BC90.jpeg

30C52CA1-058C-43EA-97E2-BF71707577D3.jpeg

2CCE761A-1C1F-4698-98A8-937DE249A303.jpeg

335CBD43-850C-4233-B6A9-3EEC382D5E5E.jpeg

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

2 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

And then there were two... I went ahead and cut out the two questionable ones. I think it was prolonged cold/cool damage that did them in. The outer parts of the trunks were brown on the cross section once cut and one had definite secondary fungus starting to grow. The other two are opening new spears and look fine but unfortunately I put a quarter inch deep cut into one of the healthy ones while trying to cut a dead one out. We will see if I passed some sort of pathogen to the healthy one. I bleached all my tools afterward and I sprayed the cut trunks and my oops cut on the healthy one with 1:10 bleach solution. If the other two die I won’t be upset. Opens up a prime spot for something new!! 

I had the same thing happen to me over the summer.  2 of my 3 Adonidia trunks started looking crappy, and fronds died off way too fast.  I chopped them all down, after the top of one trunk practically fell apart.  It looked like Thielaviopsis on mine, so I dug out the stumps and Banrot drenched the area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I had the same thing happen to me over the summer.  2 of my 3 Adonidia trunks started looking crappy, and fronds died off way too fast.  I chopped them all down, after the top of one trunk practically fell apart.  It looked like Thielaviopsis on mine, so I dug out the stumps and Banrot drenched the area.

Thanks for the input. Is the third trunk still alive?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

8 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

Thanks for the input. Is the third trunk still alive?

I chopped down 2, then lopped off the third a week later.  I decided that I don't like Adonidia enough to risk spreading fungi to other palms.   The third did not have any obvious signs of fungus, but might have had some discoloration.  It was hard to say for sure.

• 2 months later...

Well. The disease continues in my yard. Here is what my coconut looked like in March after winter 

image.thumb.jpeg.f4eab3f4b0fe439db15f308aff1c242d.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Here is today

sorry pics aren’t great. I cut off the dead fronds, poured a bunch of peroxide down the crown, then bleached my tools. Central spear is not pulling, it gets til the end of summer to recover before I cut it down. I don’t think it was cold damage as nothing else had any hint of frost or cold damage this year.

D8C418CE-83A3-47F6-B67F-ED7C839C762A.jpeg

1F68499A-B6A3-4FCE-8B82-B2C5AF4DF544.jpeg

0D6DB09C-0220-4538-81D6-ADFC542CFF3E.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Oh yeah, a pot planted Adonidia is undergoing rapid decline like the other two did earlier in this thread. So far it is random, like my other Adonidia are fine, even the one I sliced the trunk on while cutting out the diseased ones earlier this year. 

7BA34C13-0C3C-4BD9-AF5E-7A006CE3E8CF.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

So, so many things kill coconuts and adonidia around here. I don’t think I am planting anymore. I do have one small yellow variety coconut planted it will probably be my last. Really it is ok if my big coconut bites the dust as it is planted too close to my house and the property line and I was probably going to have to cut it down anyway. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Sad to see @ruskinPalms .  What are you going to use as substitutes?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Sad to see @ruskinPalms .  What are you going to use as substitutes?

Well… like the rest of you I am always growing something as a backup..lol. This part of my landscape is more functional rather than esthetic. I am trying to block my neighbors house so D. lutescens for the win. The Dypsis have dropped seeds here and they are growing so I’m going or see what happens with that. 

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Parrish is too far inland for long term adonidias or cocos.   The next level of cold hardiness would be archontophoenix cunninghamiana, dypsis pembana and dypsis leptocheilos for crownshafted palms.  For a coconut look, beccariophoenix alfredii should be a solid palm for parrish.  My alfredii are  far better looking than all the local cocos which always come out of winter yellowish and spend half the grow season greening up.  Most of us have dabbled in zone pushing and the longer you push zones, the hardiness becomes more clear.   You will hear people very happy that their cocos survived a few winters but that story often does not end well.  Cocos have survived in my area since the 2010 cold event, but that one killed off just about all of them east of the 41.  In 2010 parrish a few miles inland from me hit 25F while my place hit 28F x  consecutive 2 nights, a coco and adonidia killer.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

6 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Parrish is too far inland for long term adonidias or cocos.   The next level of cold hardiness would be archontophoenix cunninghamiana, dypsis pembana and dypsis leptocheilos for crownshafted palms.  For a coconut look, beccariophoenix alfredii should be a solid palm for parrish.  My alfredii are  far better looking than all the local cocos which always come out of winter yellowish and spend half the grow season greening up.  Most of us have dabbled in zone pushing and the longer you push zones, the hardiness becomes more clear.   You will hear people very happy that their cocos survived a few winters but that story often does not end well.  Cocos have survived in my area since the 2010 cold event, but that one killed off just about all of them east of the 41.  In 2010 parrish a few miles inland from me hit 25F while my place hit 28F x  consecutive 2 nights, a coco and adonidia killer.

Yes. A lot of the things I have planted would not survive another 2010. Really it is ok for my coconuts and adonidia to die off before they get to big to remove. You are correct about A. cunninghamiana being a good palm for here. I have one that is doing great and is a very beautiful palm. I wish they were sold more at the big box stores. My majesty palms are doing good and seem to have no trouble with the cold here or disease yet. I’m hoping I can get my royal palm big enough before the next real freeze comes. I have a small C. macrocarpa seedling that I hope to try in the future once it gets a little bigger. I have heard conflicting reports on their hardiness though. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 7 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, SouthFLA said:

The insect that spreads lethal bronzing makes it's home in turfgrass. It is speculated that it is being spread all across the state because of the sod farm industry. There is no way to stop it, it just needs to run it's course just like the coconut lethal yellowing a few years back. All you can do is plant palm species that the insect doesn't prefer like Livistonia.

Interesting. By the time it’s run it’s course, do you think that we’ll be beyond the point of no return? I recently moved to Jacksonville, and every time I go back to Lakeland/Tampa it’s even worse. Thankfully I can practically count on my fingers all of the possibly infected palms in the Jacksonville area. Fingers crossed it doesn’t get any worse here

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, BlueMarlin226 said:

Interesting. By the time it’s run it’s course, do you think that we’ll be beyond the point of no return? I recently moved to Jacksonville, and every time I go back to Lakeland/Tampa it’s even worse. Thankfully I can practically count on my fingers all of the possibly infected palms in the Jacksonville area. Fingers crossed it doesn’t get any worse here

I just got back from Gainesville.  Coming back, just about every Phoenix sylvestris on I-75 through Ocala had symptoms of Lethal Bronzing or was already dead.  When this disease gets to an area, it tends to explode exponentially because of all of the available host palms.  Orlando is experiencing this as well.  Counting dead Phoenix palms on I-4 from Daytona to Davenport gets you into the hundreds pretty quickly.  Time to invest in a Livistona decora farm.

At our meeting this fall, the city staff here confirmed that Lethal Bronzing was a big factor in their planting choices.  There was no sense planting any more Phoenix canariensis/dactylifera/sylvestris since they typically die in 6-9 months.  The default replacement is Livistona decora.  In the downtown area, they use Archontophoenix species a lot instead to give it a more tropical look.  I'd say this is a permanent change - definitely a point of no return here. 

It's unfortunate since the Phoenix species (as well as others in the list) were bulletproof to the cold here, and some of the susceptible palms are native palms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

5 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

I just got back from Gainesville.  Coming back, just about every Phoenix sylvestris on I-75 through Ocala had symptoms of Lethal Bronzing or was already dead.  When this disease gets to an area, it tends to explode exponentially because of all of the available host palms.  Orlando is experiencing this as well.  Counting dead Phoenix palms on I-4 from Daytona to Davenport gets you into the hundreds pretty quickly.  Time to invest in a Livistona decora farm.

At our meeting this fall, the city staff here confirmed that Lethal Bronzing was a big factor in their planting choices.  There was no sense planting any more Phoenix canariensis/dactylifera/sylvestris since they typically die in 6-9 months.  The default replacement is Livistona decora.  In the downtown area, they use Archontophoenix species a lot instead to give it a more tropical look.  I'd say this is a permanent change - definitely a point of no return here. 

It's unfortunate since the Phoenix species (as well as others in the list) were bulletproof to the cold here, and some of the susceptible palms are native palms.

What city are you in / do you work for?   

the same thing is happening here in pockets in Pineallas/ St Pete.   When I moved here going on 6 years ago, 275 around DTSP / Tropicana field had many (hundred or more) P dactylifera planted all along it and the interstate spurs running into DTSP.   Nearly all of them have since all succumbed to TPPD / Lethal Bronzing.    It is sadly the take along Central Avenue where there were dozens of old, stately very tall (70-90 feet) P Dactylifera.  Now less than a third of them remain.   

I had offered my suggestion for replacement species to someone I knew that worked for the city of at Pete and they are doing that it appears.  Royal palms are now replacing the Phoenix palms on city land.     

He said that only FDOT makes the decisions about what gets planted along the interstates but that the city does have input and can ask for things.    Now, where most of those dead Phoenix Dactylifera used to be, are mostly Royal palms along with Livistona Decora in some places.     It appears they have gotten the message / now fully understand that Phoenix are no longer really a viable species for these uses.    I will say I’m very glad they chose to go native for most of the replacements.   

it’s been  sad to me watching all of these old beautiful palms just die off.   You always know when it is going to happen as you can see the crown stops producing new fronds from  the center.   It may look good to most people for a while but once you see that you know it is dying and won’t last too much longer. 

attached photos are over the last year or so along central Avenue and Tropicana Field.      One of them is one that stated declining about 5 months ago and is now pretty much dead.   Central used yo be absolutely lined with these gorgeous palms.  Now there are not even as many left as you see in my photos.   

oddly enough almost all of the Phoenix at Tropicana field are untouched by any of this.    I can’t think of one on that site that has succumbed to this.   

EF55AD6C-3AF6-497E-B0AF-FB4FFF2E44FF.jpeg

5D15DDA5-2883-479D-9636-BBDDD817D53B.jpeg

3ED6C380-4056-4F82-BA0C-38EA3598DB18.jpeg

46DC1A60-257B-46A1-91F5-D535E7075590.jpeg

• Like 1

@DCA_Palm_Fan I'm in Lakeland.  Phoenix dactylifera used to line US-98, but almost all of them are dead now.  The one area that had not been hit until this year was the portion of South Florida Avenue from Memorial Boulevard down to Ariana Street.  At this point, a lot of those are going into decline and dying.  Phoenix canariensis used to be a staple palm at Tigertown, but unfortunately, most of those are dead as well.  One of the educational aspects of the CFPACS 2022 Fall Tour was the changes made in urban landscaping due to the standard cold hardy palms dying of Lethal Bronzing and Fusarium Wilt.

I don't work for the city, but was able to arrange for two of the city's best to guide parts of the tour this fall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

Just now, kinzyjr said:

@DCA_Palm_Fan I'm in Lakeland.  Phoenix dactylifera used to line US-98, but almost all of them are dead now.  The one area that had not been hit until this year was the portion of South Florida Avenue from Memorial Boulevard down to Ariana Street.  At this point, a lot of those are going into decline and dying.  Phoenix canariensis used to be a staple palm at Tigertown, but unfortunately, most of those are dead as well.  One of the educational aspects of the CFPACS 2022 Fall Tour was the changes made in urban landscaping due to the standard cold hardy palms dying of Lethal Bronzing and Fusarium Wilt.

I don't work for the city, but was able to arrange for two of the city's best to guide parts of the tour this fall.

Ahhhh that’s right.   I remember now.   Sorry it’s been a while.      Yeah it’s so sad watching them all die.   

I uploaded photos in my last post in an edit so you may have missed them.    

• Like 2

Just now, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

I uploaded photos in my last post in an edit so you may have missed them.  

Yes, I missed the photos the first time.  I hate watching the palms head to the mulch pile as well.  Reading the list of palms that are susceptible to this disease is like reading my favorites list, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

Yep, on a bike ride today I checked out two clusters of Phoenix Sylvestris that are dying of TPPD/LB.  One is at an entrance to an apartment complex.  They planted 7 Sylvestris last year flanking the entryway...they all promptly died.  So they replaced them...with 7 MORE Sylvestris.  And they all died except for the center one, which is still reasonably healthy.  I check on it every once in a while just to see if it's showing significant signs of decline.

The other spot used to have 3 large Sylvestris, and it now has two.  The center one died of apparent TPPD/LB over the summer, and now the left one is showing clear signs of disease.  The oldest fronds died off in mid-December and the new center fronds are failing to open.  Arguably the right one has it too, but it isn't as obvious yet.

1393493600_20221231_094828Sylvestrisdying.thumb.jpg.001a2be28240bb2b01bce62241ba19ee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How much of a threat is LB to other palm genera outside of Phoenix?  I see documented photos include a Queen, a Butia, even the ubiquitous native Sabal cabbage palm.  Are these latter genera likely to suffer broadly or are they far less vulnerable than Phoenix?  I sure hope the latter! 😬.

Steve

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, swolf said:

How much of a threat is LB to other palm genera outside of Phoenix?  I see documented photos include a Queen, a Butia, even the ubiquitous native Sabal cabbage palm.  Are these latter genera likely to suffer broadly or are they far less vulnerable than Phoenix?  I sure hope the latter! 😬.

Steve

From the results I see here and in Bartow, I'd say the former.  There isn't a day I visit Bartow where I don't see another dead Sabal palmetto, courtesy of Lethal Bronzing.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

I see the occasional Sabal get hit here and there. But I'm convinced every Phoenix sylvestris will disappear from FL because of this disease. The other phoenix varieties are vulnerable but aren't getting hit as hard. Driving around central Florida, all I see is a graveyard of dead or dying Sylvester palms. It seems they have zero resistance to the disease, or they are highly preferred by the insect that carries it (or both). The Sylvester in my yard began showing symptoms a few months ago and I immediately removed it. I'm watching my canary now.

• Like 2

Interesting that it seems there’s different species more affected in different areas.  Here in St Pete it’s Phoenix Dactylifera far and away taking the brunt.   Sylvestris are getting it but I don’t seem them dying at quite the same pace / numbers.     In sabals it only seems to be sporadic and not widespread.     

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Not sure if these Adonidia are going to make it after all. The one that is heavily flowering right now dropped two fronds since Idalia moved through, working on dropping a third…It is not dying in the same fashion as the others I posted earlier in this thread. Maybe it has something to do with all the rain at once or even something to do with sacrificing leaves trying to grow flowers? The inflorescences haven’t turned necrotic yet so I’m not sure if it is lethal bronzing. Any thoughts? These are the same ones that did the weird breaking frond thing earlier in the year and it is working it’s way close to the first frond that broke off. Just have to wait and see I guess. Way too tall for me to try to pour any peroxide in the crown at this point and no way I’d pay for antibiotic treatments for these if it is lethal bronzing anyway. 

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4175.jpeg

IMG_4174.jpeg

IMG_4178.jpeg

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Oh and by the way, the coconut I put earlier in this thread did survive and is actually opening a new spear now but is getting massively outcompeted by a bunch of C. lutescens. 

IMG_4176.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I did pour peroxide down the crown of the coconut a few times when it got sick back then. It has about 4 feet of clear trunk now.. hard to get decent pics of it. 

IMG_4177.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

This summer, two of the Sabal palmetto at the end of the street went into quick decline and died inside of a two month period.  It was a classic case of Lethal Bronzing right after they were trimmed.  There are a lot of Sabal palmetto dying from this in Bartow.  Pretty discouraging sign for those who like landscaping with native palms.

@ruskinPalms

In regard to the Adonidia:

I see this happen with closely related Veitchia sometimes.  I don't think it is Lethal Bronzing as I've seen some of the family (Adonidia/Veitchia/Carpentaria) do this and recover.  Getting all that rain at once and then having it go hot and dry seems to be the catalyst.  It is one of those things they either grow out of or they don't.  Other than just maintaining optimal growing conditions so they can grow their crown out again, there doesn't seem to be a cure.  I'm sure the cold snap this winter didn't help, even if it doesn't appear to be the root cause.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

24 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

This summer, two of the Sabal palmetto at the end of the street went into quick decline and died inside of a two month period.  It was a classic case of Lethal Bronzing right after they were trimmed.  There are a lot of Sabal palmetto dying from this in Bartow.  Pretty discouraging sign for those who like landscaping with native palms.

@ruskinPalms

In regard to the Adonidia:

I see this happen with closely related Veitchia sometimes.  I don't think it is Lethal Bronzing as I've seen some of the family (Adonidia/Veitchia/Carpentaria) do this and recover.  Getting all that rain at once and then having it go hot and dry seems to be the catalyst.  It is one of those things they either grow out of or they don't.  Other than just maintaining optimal growing conditions so they can grow their crown out again, there doesn't seem to be a cure.  I'm sure the cold snap this winter didn't help, even if it doesn't appear to be the root cause.

I can’t imagine this area without Sabal palmetto everywhere (and Serenoa repens). I guess we take it for granted that there are copious amounts of large, trunking palms growing natively just about everywhere here.  They really are part of the natural environment here and I’m sure there are plenty of organisms that rely on their existence. I too see plenty of Sabals succumbing to lethal bronzing in this area which is worrisome. 

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

22 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

I can’t imagine this area without Sabal palmetto everywhere (and Serenoa repens). I guess we take it for granted that there are copious amounts of large, trunking palms growing natively just about everywhere here.  They really are part of the natural environment here and I’m sure there are plenty of organisms that rely on their existence. I too see plenty of Sabals succumbing to lethal bronzing in this area which is worrisome. 

This is probably more of what the future holds, especially for mild microclimates.  The dead Sabal palmettos with any boots becoming Ficus aurea nurseries.

20230908_171107_Sabal_Ficus_aurea.jpg.98ae36d7d26c6df1c8727d8c9229dcaf.jpg

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

Around here the dead Phoenix are almost exclusively recent plantings or ones on highway exits.  And right next to dying Dactylifera are apparently healthy Sabals.  I have been watching a cluster of Sylvestris along 417 for 6 months or so.  Out of about 10 of them 8 are nearly dead...but 2 have giant completely full crowns with a bit of magnesium deficiency in the oldest fronds.  It's very odd.

One nearby spot had a whole bunch of Sabals that were dying quickly with signs similar to Lethal Bronzing.  One by one a clump of 8 or so died off, and there are two left.  Also oddly enough, I went by there a couple of weeks ago and there was a brand new plumbing line dug up that went right through the middle of the dead Sabals.  So in that particular spot maybe it was a broken pipe drowning the palms.

50 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

Around here the dead Phoenix are almost exclusively recent plantings or ones on highway exits.  And right next to dying Dactylifera are apparently healthy Sabals.  I have been watching a cluster of Sylvestris along 417 for 6 months or so.  Out of about 10 of them 8 are nearly dead...but 2 have giant completely full crowns with a bit of magnesium deficiency in the oldest fronds.  It's very odd.

One nearby spot had a whole bunch of Sabals that were dying quickly with signs similar to Lethal Bronzing.  One by one a clump of 8 or so died off, and there are two left.  Also oddly enough, I went by there a couple of weeks ago and there was a brand new plumbing line dug up that went right through the middle of the dead Sabals.  So in that particular spot maybe it was a broken pipe drowning the palms.

It's surprising that given the bulletproof cold tolerance and 99% Lethal Bronzing resistance of Livistona decora that they don't plant those instead of susceptible species.

Lakeland, FL

@kinzyjr here's the cluster on street view.  The two center and far right ones still look pretty solid today, but the others are D-E-D.  They were planted around July 2016.

image.thumb.png.63b9c314e5c722777b17aff482e49128.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7991741,-81.3066873,3a,75y,217.4h,92.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOs8yB4WDkl9pdfWgLlXkVA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

7 hours ago, Merlyn said:

The two center and far right ones still look pretty solid today, but the others are D-E-D.  They were planted around July 2016.

Lakeland has had to adapt quite a bit.  It's Livistona species as the default, Archontophoenix in the downtown area for aesthetics.  The Livistona don't look bad, but I do miss driving down avenues lined with 50 ft. Phoenix dactylifera.  It's probably best for other locales to adopt a similar substitution, dependent upon their particular climate.

I-4/US-98 interchange:

20220901_Livistona_decora_I4_US98.jpg.a3c5ff70e64e5dd1be8dd078480d1f17.jpg

Polk Pkwy/Lakeland Highlands Interchange:

20220901_Livistona_decora_PolkPkwy.jpg.3c194a193a805bf046801ea49816d265.jpg

South Florida Ave.:

20220901_Livistona_decora_SouthFloridaAve.jpg.fda161acfb87dd0c958b7c105cd1bdf1.jpg

US-98 through Grove Park:

20220901_Livistona_decora_US98_GrovePark.thumb.jpg.7945b7134a940441492bbbc87ad021af.jpg

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

• 2 months later...

City Hall complex in North Miami. Healthy Phoenix on the right for perspective. These palms were healthy a few weeks ago but it looks like they're all on their way to the mulch pile now.

IMG_20231111_164105754.jpg

• Upvote 1