IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating Royal Palm Seeds

chocolatethunda

So I thought I'd give Roystonea Regia also a try to germinate the seeds. I sourced a tree that was in close proximity to other Royal Palms which is this one below. I did soak the seeds in water for 5 days while cleaning up every day a little bit to remove the fruit and skin (And yes please wear gloves, this seed contains a skin irritant that makes you itch).

Did two different setup, community pot in half barrel with local fertilizer together with perlite and storage bin with 1:1 peat moss & perlite. They were all planted on August 1st and started sprouting August 24th! 

3E63BF81-F671-4548-9300-915C6C94776A.JPG

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_0154.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

can anyone give me any pointers on when would be recommendable to transplant these royal palm seedlings? As can see in the picture below, they are becoming a lot in this community bin and I do not know when is a good time to start transplanting and neither into what a good size pot is good for them. Any insight on this is appreciated.

IMG_9524.thumb.JPG.caf11300f898a9f63cf4726443f892b6.JPG

• Like 4

Think of popcorn wait till most have popped to minimise disturbance of late germination.

Im no expert, but you could wait to each have a leaf.. or see the 2 similar height ones on front left. Ill prob wait to most that size or bigger.

• Like 2

They'll transplant at almost any time with little loss so it just depends how many you really want, have enough pots and soil for, or have a use for.  They do like to send a root down deep so deeper pots seem to work out better. Don't let the soil dry out and don't put them in direct sun.

• Like 1

Could do it now or in a year from now, either way it would be fine, they are tuff palms.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

An unstoppable palm. I can testify to that.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

When they get a little older and develop true leaves, it is better not to overhead irrigate.  They get a leaf spot disease and croak at an alarming rate.  

Take plastic sheeting and line a frame of 2x4s, making a water bath.  Put your pots in the bath and refill the bath after all the pots absorb all the water.

• Upvote 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

They keep popping up like crazy, we've been having some rain these last days here on the island (Aruba) due to hurricane season:

IMG_4583.JPG

• Like 5

Can anyone help me ID these (to what I believe) insect eggs? They seem to appear only at night and I don't know if they are harmful to the seedlings or not and how to treat itIMG_8716.thumb.JPG.ac6e75d1418819f9f450044f8702a8ff.JPG

IMG_6541.thumb.JPG.9535fe153a5e21fe4c3ec8ab63c146a8.JPGIMG_0975.thumb.JPG.4c104150e2b0a46c6c093cf710443134.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Royal Palms. Transplanted 75x little babies, and the community pot is the "after". The transplanted ones are doing good and kept growing without any issues.

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_9098.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Wow, they germinated so quickly!  I'm currently trying to germinate some Queen palm seeds.  Send me some of your seeds!! Great job.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shminbabe said:

Wow, they germinated so quickly!  I'm currently trying to germinate some Queen palm seeds.  Send me some of your seeds!! Great job.

Hi @shminbabe,

Thanks! I would send, but the first mistake I made was throwing all the seeds in these community "pots" because I didn't have any experience with palms. I didn't think they'd all start sprouting like this! Plus I am not sure if US customs would let them through with out a certain certificate and I don't know if they do that here.

Sunny regards from Aruba!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/15/2020 at 11:19 AM, chocolatethunda said:

Things are escalating quickly with these community pots, even after repotting 175x of them

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

2 year update?

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

21 minutes ago, DTS1 said:

2 year update?

He hasn't visited the site in over two months.

Lucas

On 5/10/2022 at 10:45 PM, Little Tex said:

He hasn't visited the site in over two months.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, ZPalms said:

Maybe he will get a notification to his email if it's set up that way B)

Hey everyone,

Here's an update on the royal palms. Unfortunately couldn't keep all of them. Here are some pics of the ones that were repotted and are still in my possession and one seed that rolled into the soil, will have to take it out as it will ruin the floor at some point. You can see the growth difference of the potted ones and the one directly in the ground.

Cheers

CheersIMG_1885.thumb.JPG.3f5f5977d0aff59fcd399b0601249341.JPGIMG_1883.thumb.JPG.ff3e1174de7b8d0d5a13ba1afcde4b49.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chocolatethunda said:

IMG_1883.thumb.JPG.ff3e1174de7b8d0d5a13ba1afcde4b49.JPG

That's some wild growth! They look awesome! Is the bin the pots are in, do you fill it with water?

Edited by ZPalms

7 hours ago, ZPalms said:

That's some wild growth! They look awesome! Is the bin the pots are in, do you fill it with water?

Yes, easier to water from the bottom! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, chocolatethunda said:

Yes, easier to water from the bottom! 

I'm definitely gonna do this, Thanks! B):greenthumb:

• Like 1

I planted 10 seeds about 7 days ago, from RPS. Based on my experience with palm seeds from RPS none will sprout :D

• Like 1

previously known as ego

• 7 months later...

I have some small seedlings (thanks @PalmatierMeg!) that I am currently growing in partial sun. They are only a few inches tall and still developing roots. My question is when should I start putting them in full sun? I’ve tried to slowly acclimate them to more sun over the past few weeks. 
A couple of them are pushing new spears  

I accidentally roasted a handful of them by putting them in full sun after transplanting, and I’d like to avoid doing that again, but I also want them to acclimate to light as soon as possible so they get nice and big. 

thanks for the help! 

Royals will take full sun if you acclimate them gradually, starting with morning sun and graduating to all day sun. But you need to keep them well hydrated when they are tiny. If the sun dries them out they will die. If they weren't so beautiful they could classified as weeds because they are so prolific.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.