IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chris is Coming

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Tropical Storm Chris is going to whack the Bahamas, which, if my memory serves, puts it at least a bit in line to hit our cherished colleagues in South Florida, as things stand now.

It could strengthen into a 'Cane fast, and not sugar.

Hmm.

Maybe Dr. Robert can pin a sign-off place, for those of you who must?  

Just a thought.

Let the games begin . . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Can we move the weather posts to the weather section ? I like to follow these hurricanes and cyclones and rain patterns. I'm a weather nut

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Aug. 02 2006,21:18)

Can we move the weather posts to the weather section ? I like to follow these hurricanes and cyclones and rain patterns. I'm a weather nut

You too?

I've been following Chris' development since it was a "blob" (technical tropical-meteorology term, uh-huh), that "wasn't expected to develop."  Yeah, right.  

Ain't lookin' too good for the islands right now, maybe even the US.  

South FL does NOT need more battering; neither does any part of the gulf coastline - TX included.

See - this is one reason I like to keep my ultra-favorite palms in pots - so I can bring 'em in!   It's gotten to be worse in summer than winter :angry:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I am not worried about the storm. Even though if it comes this way it will ruin a palm meeting and cause me to move all my plants into my garage.

Ryan

South Florida

(SunnyFl @ Aug. 02 2006,22:32)

; neither does any part of the gulf coastline - TX included.

Actually the south texas coast needs rain BAD BAD BAD, I would say from Victoria south.  Houston doesn't they have gotten plenty of rain.  I would actually hope this hits S TX as a Tropical Storm or very weak hurricane (Not a major hurricane) to give us some drought relief, which we seriously need.

On the current forecast track, this small storm will miss the Bahamas.  There is also a good chance the mountians of Cuba will weaken the storm considerably.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Kathryn

Ah yes, "just" that little tropical storm Allison that dumped 36" of rain in 24 hours (as measured about a  mile from my house).

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

(syersj @ Aug. 02 2006,23:35)

(SunnyFl @ Aug. 02 2006,22:32)

; neither does any part of the gulf coastline - TX included.

Actually the south texas coast needs rain BAD BAD BAD, I would say from Victoria south.  Houston doesn't they have gotten plenty of rain.  I would actually hope this hits S TX as a Tropical Storm or very weak hurricane (Not a major hurricane) to give us some drought relief, which we seriously need.

Hey Jim,

Yes, droughts are awful - and you all do need the rain.  Something like a (relatively) fast-moving TD would be best - and not something that causes hellacious flooding like Allison.

Also, gotta be concerned about the reaction of many, who remember the evac disaster during Rita and might not leave in time.  Could be very dangerous if a storm causes flooding - and people in flood zones get stuck there.  Just my op.

St. Pete

Its not looking like much at the current time, but who knows how things will change.

wfla_tropic1.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 03 2006,23:39)

Its not looking like much at the current time, but who knows how things will change.

Yeah, I think the graphic is a little overboard.  Doubt Chris will survive till Saturday - you see that mass of shear?

Pressures have been climbing slowly and steadily since yesterday - pretty good indicator of continued weakening.

St. Pete