IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Missed Puya alpestris Bloom, Crushed

freakypalmguy

Out clearing the overgrowth of weeds and brush around my plants and found this, I had been monitoring my bigger plant thinking it would flower first, but had no idea that this small of a plant might put out a flower, I missed the entire thing, what a disappointment. That’s what I get for letting the weeds get out of hand.

037554A2-FB7D-475D-8BA4-264366F9B361.thumb.jpeg.b9b81ac93806a9e64c7ffffae4193a89.jpeg

• Like 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

On 8/19/2020 at 5:55 PM, freakypalmguy said:

Out clearing the overgrowth of weeds and brush around my plants and found this, I had been monitoring my bigger plant thinking it would flower first, but had no idea that this small of a plant might put out a flower, I missed the entire thing, what a disappointment. That’s what I get for letting the weeds get out of hand.

037554A2-FB7D-475D-8BA4-264366F9B361.thumb.jpeg.b9b81ac93806a9e64c7ffffae4193a89.jpeg

Major bummer.  My P alpestris last flowered in 2014.  Neighbors still ask about it when they see my Puya miribilis pushing up new inflorescence every year.  I have to say, no wrong species, just a few yellow flowers, not the spectacular display of alpestris.  Hope you don't end up waiting too long for a new display from your other larger planting.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thank you, It was something I had been so looking forward to, next time. 

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

8 hours ago, freakypalmguy said:

Thank you, It was something I had been so looking forward to, next time. 

Don't forget to post photos as well!  A decade later and I'm still waiting for my No ID Puya to flower... In another recent Puya thread I was advised it looks like Puya berteroniana.  Mine is right up front in the garden so when it does finally push out some inflorescence I will have a tough time missing it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2020 at 5:55 PM, freakypalmguy said:

Since you haven't posted any flower shots, I assume you have not had a new spike on either this smaller clump or your bigger one.  Quail Botanical Garden, now San Diego Botanical Garden was sharing with members that they had one in bloom, so my wife and I headed over yesterday to see that and their annual orchid exhibit (local orchid societies bring in plants for the month long displays).  Their clump has 3 flower spikes, one had completely finished blooming now, one is in full flower and the third had yet to open buds.  It wasn't as tall a spike as I had on mine back in 2014, but still beautiful flowers.  I was there mid-day so direct overhead sun which isn't the best lighting to get detail of the flowers, but here is a teaser.  You should head down, but you do need to pre-book reservations to visit the gardens.  They were selling a few tickets yesterday to those without reservations, but only had limited slots open.  Probably not a problem to buy tickets on the spot weekdays with only weekend traffic being heavier.

20220507-BH3I7477.jpg

20220507-BH3I7478.jpg

20220507-BH3I7479.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 6:21 AM, Tracy said:

Since you haven't posted any flower shots, I assume you have not had a new spike on either this smaller clump or your bigger one.  Quail Botanical Garden, now San Diego Botanical Garden was sharing with members that they had one in bloom, so my wife and I headed over yesterday to see that and their annual orchid exhibit (local orchid societies bring in plants for the month long displays).  Their clump has 3 flower spikes, one had completely finished blooming now, one is in full flower and the third had yet to open buds.  It wasn't as tall a spike as I had on mine back in 2014, but still beautiful flowers.  I was there mid-day so direct overhead sun which isn't the best lighting to get detail of the flowers, but here is a teaser.  You should head down, but you do need to pre-book reservations to visit the gardens.  They were selling a few tickets yesterday to those without reservations, but only had limited slots open.  Probably not a problem to buy tickets on the spot weekdays with only weekend traffic being heavier.

20220507-BH3I7477.jpg

20220507-BH3I7478.jpg

20220507-BH3I7479.jpg

Beauties, thank you Tracy, the Quail is where I got hooked on these, didn’t know anything about them but was walking around and spotted one in full bloom. My search began…..

I have three in the ground, and none of them have showed any signs of flowering since that one missed bloom, sadly. 

Matt in Temecula, CA

16 hours ago, freakypalmguy said:

I have three in the ground, and none of them have showed any signs of flowering since that one missed bloom, sadly. 

I know the patience game all too well.  I planted this as a single one gallon acquired as Puya alpestris, but it is in fact one of the other larger species from the Puya family.  In the ground for 12 years now and once again this spring, no blossoms.

20220320-BH3I7210.jpg

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

I know the patience game all too well.  I planted this as a single one gallon acquired as Puya alpestris, but it is in fact one of the other larger species from the Puya family.  In the ground for 12 years now and once again this spring, no blossoms.

20220320-BH3I7210.jpg

Here’s one I purchased as alpestris about the same time as yours, they appear to be similar. Also my two others that are definitely different, one is chilensis, and I thought one was berteroniana, but the tags have long since disappeared and I don’t remember for sure.

829FA3B4-B408-4672-B2E1-F193568AEF7A.jpeg

C6776829-3EA6-4DD2-B336-DEEDBCA7D042.jpeg

2D491820-BAB5-4D78-9311-7988CFC3F356.jpeg

Edited by freakypalmguy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

10 minutes ago, freakypalmguy said:

Here’s one I purchased as alpestris about the same time as yours, they appear to be similar. Also my two others that are definitely different, one is chilensis, and I thought one was berteroniana, but the tags have long since disappeared and I don’t remember for sure.

829FA3B4-B408-4672-B2E1-F193568AEF7A.jpeg

C6776829-3EA6-4DD2-B336-DEEDBCA7D042.jpeg

2D491820-BAB5-4D78-9311-7988CFC3F356.jpeg

The top and middle one look more like the one I posted, while the last photo resembles my more shade grown alpestris.  I had a couple of Puya venusta in my Carlsbad garden, but think they have all come out over the years since I moved out.  Our gardener to maintain the garden wasn't a big fan of weeding around them so it became a battle of attrition with the P alpestris and venusta.  I might still have a couple hiding in the upper planter.  I'm not very hopeful for my P alpestris blooming here in Leucadia as the remaining ones are in pots, so constrained in space.  Only the unnamed pictured above and some smaller P mirabilis remain in ground here.  Yours look healthy.  I sure wish I could figure out what they need to bloom for us!

On 5/18/2022 at 1:29 PM, Tracy said:

The top and middle one look more like the one I posted, while the last photo resembles my more shade grown alpestris.  I had a couple of Puya venusta in my Carlsbad garden, but think they have all come out over the years since I moved out.  Our gardener to maintain the garden wasn't a big fan of weeding around them so it became a battle of attrition with the P alpestris and venusta.  I might still have a couple hiding in the upper planter.  I'm not very hopeful for my P alpestris blooming here in Leucadia as the remaining ones are in pots, so constrained in space.  Only the unnamed pictured above and some smaller P mirabilis remain in ground here.  Yours look healthy.  I sure wish I could figure out what they need to bloom for us!

I agree, I feel like both of our larger plants should be blooming?? Not sure what it takes. The one you mentioned as shade grown definitely gets more shade, probably only half day sun, and that is the plant that flowered. I still can’t believe I missed it. Still Crushed. 

At first glance, Puya aren’t the most attractive plants until they flower, so I can see why someone might remove them. I worry if I ever move, very few would be able to appreciate the plants here and many would probably get bulldozed. 

Matt

• Like 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 3:54 PM, freakypalmguy said:

The one you mentioned as shade grown definitely gets more shade, probably only half day sun, and that is the plant that flowered. I still can’t believe I missed it. Still Crushed. 

Matt have you tried growing Puya mirabilis?  I thought of you when I noticed that these were blooming again.  Not nearly as dramatic as some of the other Puya, but they are very dependable bloomers once a year without fail.  They are much smaller plants than some in the genus which can also be a positive, but they will give you a dependable Puya fix as you wait for the other species to bloom.

20220723-BH3I8347.jpg

20220723-BH3I8350.jpg

20220723-BH3I8348.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 8:14 AM, Tracy said:

Matt have you tried growing Puya mirabilis?  I thought of you when I noticed that these were blooming again.  Not nearly as dramatic as some of the other Puya, but they are very dependable bloomers once a year without fail.  They are much smaller plants than some in the genus which can also be a positive, but they will give you a dependable Puya fix as you wait for the other species to bloom.

20220723-BH3I8347.jpg

20220723-BH3I8350.jpg

20220723-BH3I8348.jpg

I have not but I’m going to look them up and pick up a few for sure. Any good local sources?

Matt in Temecula, CA

I picked them up years ago at either Anderson's La Costa or Walter Andersen's off Midway and PCH in San Diego.  If you are in the area ever I would be happy to extract a pup and share it also.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I picked them up years ago at either Anderson's La Costa or Walter Andersen's off Midway and PCH in San Diego.  If you are in the area ever I would be happy to extract a pup and share it also.

Thank you, I’ll definitely hit you up when I’m in the area next time, love to take a tour someday

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

• 9 months later...

@Tracy Doing my yearly weeding, and look what I found

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

1 hour ago, freakypalmguy said:

@Tracy Doing my yearly weeding, and look what I found

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

Sweet, such a spectacular event when the flowers open.  Can't wait to see the colors again!  Please share updates. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:25 PM, Tracy said:

Sweet, such a spectacular event when the flowers open.  Can't wait to see the colors again!  Please share updates. 

Will do👍

Matt in Temecula, CA

On 5/23/2023 at 7:25 PM, Tracy said:

Flowers starting to open.

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

Now get in there w/ the macro.. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freakypalmguy said:

Nice Matt.  It looks like the one I had bloom back almost a decade ago, but hasn't bloomed since.  Nice deep color to those flowers.

My wife was just reading that they have a record number blooming at Quail Botanical Gardens this year.  I'm guessing they must have liked all the rain this spring.

Ironically, I was just going through my emails and saw the Member Newsletter for June and one of the blurbs is below:

Around the Garden

This is Puya alpestris, commonly known as Sapphire Tower, due to its unique flowering behavior. This year at the Garden, we have documented an incredible 26 Sapphire Tower flower spikes, breaking our previous record of 16. See this incredible plant for yourself in our South American Garden and be sure to bring sturdy shoes and watch your step, as the Puya Pathway is unpaved.

If you live in San Diego, particularly the North Coastal area head to the San Diego Botanic Garden for this display while they are all still in bloom!  It's just a short drive off the 5 freeway in Encinitas.

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

Nice Matt.  It looks like the one I had bloom back almost a decade ago, but hasn't bloomed since.  Nice deep color to those flowers.

My wife was just reading that they have a record number blooming at Quail Botanical Gardens this year.  I'm guessing they must have liked all the rain this spring.

Ironically, I was just going through my emails and saw the Member Newsletter for June and one of the blurbs is below:

Around the Garden

This is Puya alpestris, commonly known as Sapphire Tower, due to its unique flowering behavior. This year at the Garden, we have documented an incredible 26 Sapphire Tower flower spikes, breaking our previous record of 16. See this incredible plant for yourself in our South American Garden and be sure to bring sturdy shoes and watch your step, as the Puya Pathway is unpaved.

If you live in San Diego, particularly the North Coastal area head to the San Diego Botanic Garden for this display while they are all still in bloom!  It's just a short drive off the 5 freeway in Encinitas.

Very cool, I might have to make a trip down there to see the show. Since this is the first one I’ve ever watched bloom, how long will the flowers last?

Matt in Temecula, CA

16 minutes ago, freakypalmguy said:

Very cool, I might have to make a trip down there to see the show. Since this is the first one I’ve ever watched bloom, how long will the flowers last?

Matt the individual flowers only last a day or two, maybe three if you are generous with your expectations.  The thing is that those lateral branches on the inflorescence are loaded with buds which open sequentially.  So you can expect this to last two to three weeks based on my prior experiences (only two blooms and only one of the standard form which you are showing).  Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest pics

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_5004.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg

IMG_5006.jpeg

IMG_5007.jpeg

IMG_5008.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

• 2 months later...

@Tracy well I guess it’s a 3fer for this year, just saw this out in my garden. It’s on the bigger plant like the one you mentioned at your house. It definitely has a bigger stalk pushing.

IMG_4312.jpeg

IMG_4314.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

On 8/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, freakypalmguy said:

It could have been worse you may have noticed it then the animals could have eaten it but such an amazing beautiful flower I have never seen one 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, happypalms said:

It could have been worse you may have noticed it then the animals could have eaten it but such an amazing beautiful flower I have never seen one 

Animals aren't much of a problem around these bromeliads.  They take vicious to a new level. 

it’s a 3fer for this year, just saw this out in my garden. It’s on the bigger plant like the one you mentioned at your house. It definitely has a bigger stalk pushing.

Matt, you will enjoy seeing the interesting color difference between your Puya alpestris and the Puya alpestris subsp. zoellneri .   Get ready for a massive and tall inflorescence that you will need a ladder to get up close to see the top flowers.   Just an aside on the spent stalks, if you can leave them up, the flowers turn into dried seed pods.  I had to remove my last one, which was the one that collapsed under it's own weight and fell into the parking area in front of my house.  On a different species, Puya mirabilis, I have left up the old inflorescence until the seed pods dried out and eventually burst open spilling seed.  I have seed grown volunteer offspring from that now.  If you get offspring from yours, you can put a multi-layer barrier up around your property's edge, starting with Puya and backed up with some Encephalartos horridus as a second line of defense.... better than barbed wire in keeping everything out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

Animals aren't much of a problem around these bromeliads.  They take vicious to a new level. 

Matt, you will enjoy seeing the interesting color difference between your Puya alpestris and the Puya alpestris subsp. zoellneri .   Get ready for a massive and tall inflorescence that you will need a ladder to get up close to see the top flowers.   Just an aside on the spent stalks, if you can leave them up, the flowers turn into dried seed pods.  I had to remove my last one, which was the one that collapsed under it's own weight and fell into the parking area in front of my house.  On a different species, Puya mirabilis, I have left up the old inflorescence until the seed pods dried out and eventually burst open spilling seed.  I have seed grown volunteer offspring from that now.  If you get offspring from yours, you can put a multi-layer barrier up around your property's edge, starting with Puya and backed up with some Encephalartos horridus as a second line of defense.... better than barbed wire in keeping everything out.

Ha ha, I like the way you think, that would be awesome. So far the dried flower stalk on my other two are still intact

I’m looking forward to this being a larger flower.

Matt in Temecula, CA

On 8/29/2023 at 1:20 PM, freakypalmguy said:

It definitely has a bigger stalk pushing.

I am sure you are watching it grow immensely by the day now.  I'm at the end of my Puya mirabilis blooms, with just a couple more flowers yet to open.   I had several flower stalks emerge this year on this species, so can't complain about the show they have provided.  Nothing on my Puya alpestris though.  How many more years will I wait for it???

20230901-BH3I2491.jpg

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

I am sure you are watching it grow immensely by the day now.  I'm at the end of my Puya mirabilis blooms, with just a couple more flowers yet to open.   I had several flower stalks emerge this year on this species, so can't complain about the show they have provided.  Nothing on my Puya alpestris though.  How many more years will I wait for it???

20230901-BH3I2491.jpg

Those mirabilis flowers are very nice, is the mother plant as vicious as the other Puya we have? They are a bit frustrating to wait for but I definitely got lucky and had a bumper crop this year, I’m not expecting much for a while after this.

yes, it’s is growing very fast, here’s a fresh picture 

IMG_4352.thumb.jpeg.5c3d059dc42792cf6159d0651de02679.jpeg

Matt in Temecula, CA

23 minutes ago, freakypalmguy said:

Those mirabilis flowers are very nice, is the mother plant as vicious as the other Puya we have?

Matt, not quite as vicious, but still mean.  It is a more dainty plant overall and barbs are consequently much smaller.  It makes it tempting to reach in and extract weeds that may decide to grow in the area of the foliage.  It bites with or without gloves.  Without, you get small barbs that are hard to remove but don't bleed.  They create small swelling making it harder to dig the barbs out.  If you wear gloves, they get on the gloves and later when you handle the exterior of the gloves you may get a barb that transfers to your hands.  So the hazards are a little different but still there.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:51 AM, Tracy said:

Matt, not quite as vicious, but still mean.  It is a more dainty plant overall and barbs are consequently much smaller.  It makes it tempting to reach in and extract weeds that may decide to grow in the area of the foliage.  It bites with or without gloves.  Without, you get small barbs that are hard to remove but don't bleed.  They create small swelling making it harder to dig the barbs out.  If you wear gloves, they get on the gloves and later when you handle the exterior of the gloves you may get a barb that transfers to your hands.  So the hazards are a little different but still there.

Ok, sounds like it would fit right in with the rest of my plants 😁

Matt in Temecula, CA