IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Different palm suggestions for Houston

Keys6505

5 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Oh there is plenty of great palm survival stories. Sabals should be everyone's anchor palms for 9a 

T J 

I know, just trying to offer feedback out of the ordinary responses. Sabal are solid but 9a you could go with Livistona nitida , Acrocomia totai, Copernicia alba or a few others that will survive sub 15°F and are a little different .

I think Jeff got burned out on here. I talked to him recently, his yard is looking great.

Any pictures of your new yard?

29 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Copernicia alba

Do you know of any living C. alba around? I wonder if the ones at the zoo survived? 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

Do you know of any living C. alba around? I wonder if the ones at the zoo survived? 

They were probably borderline for South Houston during that event, where as a Sabal, Butia, Phoenix canariensis, etc. would have been bullet proof.

Im not sure on the zoo. The specimen in my parents yard that was barely forming a trunk survived with a blanket over it. I added a second one to their yard after that. In the hardiness section there’s reports of larger specimen coming back from 14°F in North Florida 

56DB6B2B-2523-4703-8ABA-0785869E66FF.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Any pictures of your new yard?

I got a couple pics with my Patric hybrids taking up all the prominent spots in the front yard. I haven't talked to Jeff in awhile myself dont think he has been on PT in some time =/ I still have 2 C.Albas ready to get in the ground this spring. 

T J 

20220913_170342.jpg

20220727_180734.jpg

20220727_180724.jpg

20220727_180707.jpg

• Like 2

T J 

19 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow how 4 months later changed everything. Gotta love reading old threads basically only Sabals and CIDPs survived. Now we know we got 30 years before the next one haha @Jeff985

T J 

Amazing how prophetic those 2020 warnings were. Scary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeanK said:

Amazing how prophetic those 2020 warnings were. Scary. 

Seriously , mother nature does what she wants. When I moved to South Houston i literally was thinking I had moved to 9b/10a haha a bunch of 9a winters later im scared to plant foxtails =/

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Seriously , mother nature does what she wants. When I moved to South Houston i literally was thinking I had moved to 9b/10a haha a bunch of 9a winters later im scared to plant foxtails =/

T J 

I think as long as you don’t get out of hand you can plant a few out of zone palms and just plan on protecting them. Just wrap in Christmas lights in advance. I think that and a canvas tarp, with a plastic tarp on top is enough for almost any event. Even if you lose power it will make a surprising difference .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, Meangreen94z said:

I think as long as you don’t get out of hand you can plant a few out of zone palms and just plan on protecting them. Just wrap in Christmas lights in advance. I think that and a canvas tarp, with a plastic tarp on top is enough for almost any event. Even if you lose power it will make a surprising difference .

The problem is that as you get older, you get tired of babying plants. At least plant small species so it's a reasonable task.

1 hour ago, SeanK said:

The problem is that as you get older, you get tired of babying plants. At least plant small species so it's a reasonable task.

That would really depend on the individual, like anything. Obviously I probably won’t be climbing ladders in my 80’s