Different palm suggestions for Houston

Keys6505

5 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Oh there is plenty of great palm survival stories. Sabals should be everyone's anchor palms for 9a 

T J 

I know, just trying to offer feedback out of the ordinary responses. Sabal are solid but 9a you could go with Livistona nitida , Acrocomia totai, Copernicia alba or a few others that will survive sub 15°F and are a little different .

I think Jeff got burned out on here. I talked to him recently, his yard is looking great.

Any pictures of your new yard?

29 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Copernicia alba

Do you know of any living C. alba around? I wonder if the ones at the zoo survived? 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

Do you know of any living C. alba around? I wonder if the ones at the zoo survived? 

They were probably borderline for South Houston during that event, where as a Sabal, Butia, Phoenix canariensis, etc. would have been bullet proof.

Im not sure on the zoo. The specimen in my parents yard that was barely forming a trunk survived with a blanket over it. I added a second one to their yard after that. In the hardiness section there’s reports of larger specimen coming back from 14°F in North Florida 

56DB6B2B-2523-4703-8ABA-0785869E66FF.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Any pictures of your new yard?

I got a couple pics with my Patric hybrids taking up all the prominent spots in the front yard. I haven't talked to Jeff in awhile myself dont think he has been on PT in some time =/ I still have 2 C.Albas ready to get in the ground this spring. 

T J 

20220913_170342.jpg

20220727_180734.jpg

20220727_180724.jpg

20220727_180707.jpg

• Like 2

T J 

19 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow how 4 months later changed everything. Gotta love reading old threads basically only Sabals and CIDPs survived. Now we know we got 30 years before the next one haha @Jeff985

T J 

Amazing how prophetic those 2020 warnings were. Scary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeanK said:

Amazing how prophetic those 2020 warnings were. Scary. 

Seriously , mother nature does what she wants. When I moved to South Houston i literally was thinking I had moved to 9b/10a haha a bunch of 9a winters later im scared to plant foxtails =/

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Seriously , mother nature does what she wants. When I moved to South Houston i literally was thinking I had moved to 9b/10a haha a bunch of 9a winters later im scared to plant foxtails =/

T J 

I think as long as you don’t get out of hand you can plant a few out of zone palms and just plan on protecting them. Just wrap in Christmas lights in advance. I think that and a canvas tarp, with a plastic tarp on top is enough for almost any event. Even if you lose power it will make a surprising difference .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, Meangreen94z said:

I think as long as you don’t get out of hand you can plant a few out of zone palms and just plan on protecting them. Just wrap in Christmas lights in advance. I think that and a canvas tarp, with a plastic tarp on top is enough for almost any event. Even if you lose power it will make a surprising difference .

The problem is that as you get older, you get tired of babying plants. At least plant small species so it's a reasonable task.

1 hour ago, SeanK said:

The problem is that as you get older, you get tired of babying plants. At least plant small species so it's a reasonable task.

That would really depend on the individual, like anything. Obviously I probably won’t be climbing ladders in my 80’s