IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Patience = Reward

realarch

How long does that color last? Its spectacular!

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Locking the door so I don't run screaming down the street . . . .

Yike a rooney, @realarch you've made my day! My Week!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Shocking beauty, unreal!image.png.fb8dbd32b03adf8e42a8a70646161c2b.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Just incredible!!!!!

:o:greenthumb::yay::greenthumb:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

That is beautiful mate! Really spectacular,  I hope it holds that colour for a long time!

Where's that "world's most beautiful palm" topic? That is what is known as a show-stopper.

There is a reason "Palms of Madagascar" declared Lemurophoenix "probably the grandest palm of the whole island."

And it is just getting started.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Spectacular,Tim

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Tim,

That is beyond dramatically spectacular! :o Mine are a couple of years behind yours, growth wise, so clearly something to look forward to! :)

Bo-Göran

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Tim,your palm is simply spectacular congratulations I wish these were an easier grow here I don't know of any success stories in so cal.  If so please post a picture aloha

Wow, the greatest crownshaft of them all and #1 showstopper!  thanks for the pics!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Yeah, they won't make here in California.

I even went and got a few and passed them around to various folks by the beach. Hoping that maybe they'd make it there.

Nope. Sob.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A real eye-opener, Tim. I'll have to take a closer look at my biggest one. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Such a beautiful palm.  :drool: Your photos are giving me hope for the future of my little palm collection!  Now if this little untimely wind will die down, I’ll go put these beauties in the ground... :greenthumb:  (edit: just realized Douglas broke the steel cable holding my shadecloth down :rant:)

1E188357-FD92-40BC-AFD3-76F887862B35.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Well done - really really spectacular!!

Thank you for sharing!

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the comments, I was grateful to be able to share this incredible palm from the garden. 

Here are a few more photos.

My neighbor Jason social distancing. :D

The same palm back in October 2008 right after planting. For folks with palms this size.....keep the faith. 

A real blast from the past, The day I acquired the palm from Bo, along with a truckload of other stuff. BTW, we look exactly the same today!

Tim  

IMG_5703.jpg

10lemurplant.jpg

7bounty.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, realarch said:

Thanks everyone for the comments, I was grateful to be able to share this incredible palm from the garden. 

Here are a few more photos.

My neighbor Jason social distancing. :D

The same palm back in October 2008 right after planting. For folks with palms this size.....keep the faith. 

A real blast from the past, The day I acquired the palm from Bo, along with a truckload of other stuff. BTW, we look exactly the same today!

Tim  

I could practically see the pink / purpleish glow from this palm from my place, so I had to go and see it up close and in person.  

Oh and you guys practically do look exactly the same today!  Hawaii ages you both well.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Such a beauty! Thanks for sharing. I also love the look of that Kerriodoxa right behind it.

All I can say is...

E426CF00-9045-4474-815F-E6531A7C97D3.jpeg.756411c7df3e8195c2d7d97e8eeaa126.jpeg

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 1 year later...

Dropped a leaf sheath this morning…’ INCOMING’! Not nearly as colorful as the first sheath and not sure why. Time of year maybe?

Anyway, it’s growing pretty dang fast since it started trunking. The sheath alone weighs a ton, not easy dragging that thing to the truck. 

Tim

002EE1F2-E483-40BE-98CA-EAEE2B187F76.jpeg

EC700357-5550-464F-8F5E-E5BBCADBE13F.jpeg

1069175C-2385-45B5-AF5D-716A5C7CC46B.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

11 minutes ago, realarch said:

Not nearly as colorful as the first sheath and not sure why.

Spectacular all the same Tim!  Its great to see this species doing what it is supposed to.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:07 AM, DoomsDave said:

Yeah, they won't make here in California.

I even went and got a few and passed them around to various folks by the beach. Hoping that maybe they'd make it there.

Nope. Sob.

I know first hand that this species didn't survive in my garden.  I got one in late 2014 and tried it here in Leucadia.  It didn't make it a full year.  The size of that dropping crownshaft would have been a problem where I had it, but I would have been happy to accommodate it had it survived.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

18 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

What a beauty!
With a little bit of Flex-Seal you could make a canoe out of that leaf sheath! 

Dean, I could even put some plexiglass in the bottom and paddle around the bay.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 3 months later...

A couple of update photos. This thing has grown 30” ( 760mm) since the first post of this thread.

Here the sheath is splitting and ready to come off. 

Tim

90F3D0DF-4A3C-49A8-A7C2-8BF758351D33.jpeg

2A9CB75F-6243-4C75-B5DD-8DEAB70EB61E.jpeg

• Like 9

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Not sure if it could get more perfect!! Well done. 
You Hawaii folk making everyone jealous :(

-dale

• Like 1

I bought several Lemurs at Bo's going out of business sale. Here is the largest one that, unfortunately, has not shown any color on the crownshaft. (Why?) Lawn chair for scale.

1781016768_Lemurophoenixhalleuxii_east_MLM_032122.thumb.JPG.015c84f11da5f6ca19e867861874e132.JPG

Edited by mike in kurtistown
correcting grammer
  • Like 4

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I wonder if it's because of the difference in sun-exposure? Tim's seems to have more cover. Just speculation.

2 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

I wonder if it's because of the difference in sun-exposure? Tim's seems to have more cover. Just speculation.

Yeah as it turns out natural chromophores can be oxidized by sunlight and lose their color.  The most colorful satakentias are also in part shade.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

And Tim's colorful leaf sheaths were revealed after the tree dropped a previous sheath that covered it.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Obtained about the same time and size as Tim's.  Just now starting to trunk. - gmp

DSCF4431.JPG.47b4da8f923a903cf875c765a21de27f.JPG

DSCF4433.JPG.1de587df61afa816293d42933fafdf39.JPG

DSCF4441.JPG.2c81e67262a52bdeacc7f15916715f9b.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Still plugging along……..frond, leaf sheath drop still quite the event. Perfect timing for Valentines Day.

Tim

923E5266-CB03-4C0D-A221-68E4EF89C6BD.jpeg

9A0AD97E-A783-4493-A606-0C1F0FCF7A2F.jpeg

96147103-2278-45AB-BDA9-E9318282D607.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Just stunning!

Thanks so much for the updates, Tim.

Sadly mine were killed by rhino beetles while still small. 

One day perhaps I can try again and be more diligent.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair