IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID Dypsis "Vonitra" group crinita, fibrosa, utilis and pusilla

Tracy

My fellow San Diego county resident and palm collector with a great deal of knowledge about Dypsis shared with me that the plant I acquired as Dypsis crinita is probably fibrosa.  Without posting a photo, the reasons are twofold for believing this, first is that Dypsis crinita are a challenging grow here in Southern California and second that there were some Dypsis fibrosa labeled as crinita being distributed a few years back close to the time I got mine.  I thought I would share pictures though and get some feedback based on the plant.  I'm happy with it whichever of the hairy trunked Dypsis it is, but it will be a good thing to have it labeled accurately, which I know it isn't now.  I misspelled the name when ordering the label or they misspelled it when printing it, but either way, it isn't Dypsis "crinata".

The full monty shot first but beware there is a Dypsis onilahensis hybrid behind it which has the highest fronds above it.

A leaflet detail shot showing typical spacing between leaflets and leaflet width and a few trunk shots follow.

Last shot is liver color typical of new leaf opening.

So based on what you see, which of the Vonitra group of Dypsis do you think it is, crinita, fibrosa, utilis or pusilla?

20200723-BH3I0640.jpg

20200723-BH3I0628.jpg

20200723-BH3I0644.jpg

20200723-BH3I0643.jpg

20200723-BH3I0642.jpg

20200314-104A5831.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I should clarify that this has been an easy and fast growing palm while I'm told that Dypsis crinita tend to be temperamental here in San Diego.

I like the Vonitra group Dypsis even though they aren't as "glamorous" as other Dypsis. I had a D. crinita in my jungle once but after a few years it passed away. However, I have two Dypsis pusilla that do great for me. Both are perhaps 4' tall, split into two trunks and have bronzy red new leaves. I'd love to get more of them but they've been unavailable for years.

Dypsis pusilla, Cape Coral, FL

1948177750_Dypsispusilla0110-11-18.thumb.jpg.9c072111dcb42071cd792d0f63ccee27.jpg449631253_Dypsispusilla0210-11-18.thumb.jpg.68999f686f93370745fddd3f1d82d2dc.jpg

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Tracy,

How long ago did you source this plant?

I purchased this plant about 7 years ago as crinita. Below are pictures taken today.  This plant for me has been very challenging......wants to yellow, very slow but has split as you can see. Overall just not a robust plant IMO, at least for me.  It gets filtered sun all day and maybe it wants more.

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Tracy,

I purchased this plant about 7 years ago as crinita. Below are pictures taken today.  This plant for me has been very challenging......wants to yellow, very slow but has split as you can see. Overall just not a robust plant IMO, at least for me.  It gets filtered sun all day and maybe it wants more.

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

Well Jim, at least it's alive :). I lost my two attempts. One from JD Andersen and a really nice one from Soledad. Done trying.

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

3 hours ago, LJG said:

Well Jim, at least it's alive :). I lost my two attempts. One from JD Andersen and a really nice one from Soledad. Done trying.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Jim, I did a quick photo search and didn't see any potted photos, but both photos below were in 2016 (looking down on it, July 2016 and the second shot with the Dypsis onilahensis hybrid behind it, was taken in late November 2016).  I think I got it within a few months of the first July 2016 photo.  Both palms were small and have been vigorous growers.  The Vonitra group plant was acquired from Phil at Jungle Music, the D onilahensis was from Josh, which he brought in from Floribunda.  Not bad growth for 4 years in my book.

20160706-104A3887.jpg

20161119-104A4626-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Jim, I did a quick photo search and didn't see any potted photos, but both photos below were in 2016 (looking down on it, July 2016 and the second shot with the Dypsis onilahensis hybrid behind it, was taken in late November 2016).  I think I got it within a few months of the first July 2016 photo.  Both palms were small and have been vigorous growers.  The Vonitra group plant was acquired from Phil at Jungle Music, the D onilahensis was from Josh, which he brought in from Floribunda.  Not bad growth for 4 years in my book.

20160706-104A3887.jpg

20161119-104A4626-1.jpg

Exceptional growth!

• 1 year later...

The trunks on these "Vonitra" family Dypsis are so different than the other clumping Dypsis.  I was out in the garden doing some projects today and was admiring the stringers hanging down from this.  I'm hanging a couple of orchids on a stick from mine too.  Hoping it creates a nice filtered light for the orchids to prosper as well.  This is also proving to be a very vigorous grower.

20220306-BH3I7052.jpg

20220306-BH3I7053.jpg

20220306-BH3I7059.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Still no inflorescence on this Vonitra complex Dypsis but other clumping Dypsis species of similar size and age in my garden are all flowering or have been for a couple of years now.  Anyone else want to share their Vonitra species Dypsis and any details on the age at which they began to produce inflorescence?

20220816-BH3I8637.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:55 AM, Tracy said:

Which of the Vonitra group of Dypsis do you think it is, crinita, fibrosa, utilis or pusilla?

Time to update this question to reflect the current name:

Which of the Vonitra genus do you think the plant below is:  a) Vonitra crinita b) Vonitra fibrosa c) Vonitra utilis or d) Vonitra pusilla?

20220128-BH3I6722.jpg