IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weird Sabal Frond

Dartolution

So my Sabal blackburniana threw a weird looking leaf. Its like the spear got stuck in the center while it was pushing out and bent the frond. 

Has anyone seen this before, and is this anything I need to worry about? Its been pushing out about a frond a month since the heat kicked in, and has another spear emerging now. 

Just want to make sure. Its on drip irrigation, gets bi-monthly liquid fertilizer with the rest of the yard, and every 2 months gets PalmGain at the base. 

Thanks.

SabalB109JUL2020.thumb.jpg.2d29ab79e78dde17c969b6768b327688.jpg

SabalB209JUL2020.thumb.jpg.4aef18b9b29abba7f662752349196def.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, my minor has a wacky frond like that currently.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

My in-ground S. Mexicana does that weird hook thing when it gets low on Boron, but it happens right at the tips of the leaf segments. A Borax treatment fixes it

• Like 2

All palms get crimped looking leaves then they are deficient in boron. That is one element you won't find in general purpose fertilizer, but palm fertilizers almost always have it.

• Like 1

Palmgain has Boron, I believe. Since these deficiencies can show up as a result of a lack of Boron several months ago, how long have you had this Palm?

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 1

@Swolte Just since december. It was sent to me in a 5 gallon pot that was broken open. It was planted early march, and has thrown out 2 leaves since, this weird was is the 3rd. 

We did have a weird cool long wet spring, so I thought maybe that was it. 
I fertilize consistently with palmgain, and a liquid cocktail of water soluble fertilizers like seaweed, humic and fulvic acids, molasses, organics etc... on a 2 week basis. 

No other palms have shown anything like this. its putting up another spear now, should I just watch it? 

I haven't had this on my own palms but from what I have read I'm pretty sure its temporary. Since you are fertilizing with Palmgain, I assume that you will only be able to admire the unique leaf for a short while. I found it interesting to read you had an unusually wet spring as that might have been the reason indeed. One of the causes for temporary boron deficiency is boron leaching after a heavy watering or rain event. Boron apparently quickly leaches through the soil and if the soil does not have time to restore its boron levels, by decomposing organic material, it can negatively affect the palm. So yeah, I'd say, keep your fertilization schedule and make sure you're not over-watering. 

Source: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep264#:~:text=Boron deficiency in its acute form produces yet other symptoms.&text=Boron-deficient palms often abort,species affected by that disease.

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 1

Ugh. I have this on 3 of my 4 butia x parajubaea. I use Osmocote with micros which has boron and I have treated with Borax. Still have not been able to get a frond without the issue. I think its from heavy micro irrigation in Spring drought. Either that or an imbalance from using Ironite. The palms are growing extremely fast so maybe the Boron supply cannot keep up?

@Tropicdoc Im not sure. The rest of the leaf that has been produced appears normal, with no folds. There is a new spear emerging that does not appear affected by anything. In a few weeks I'll be able to tell more.