IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Viable T. spec seeds available?

www.dadluvsu.com

I germinated about 260 of the Tahina from the first batch of seeds and sold all the seedlings prior to moving to Big Island.  Seems ironic that I don't have even one to enjoy at the farm and I sure would like to have one of those palms here at the 'ulu plantation.  Is it possible to get small batch of seeds?  10 or 20?  Anyone have a connection to fresh seed?

220px-Graines_de_Tahina_5393.jpg

• Upvote 1

RPS has a listing for Tahina that is sold out currently, but who knows then the next specimen will send out it’s “death stalk”.

I had a dozen from the "first batch".  Some how I either killed them all or they didn't sprout.  Can't remember.  Would love to try again.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

On 7/7/2020 at 2:01 PM, CodyORB said:

RPS has a listing for Tahina that is sold out currently, but who knows then the next specimen will send out it’s “death stalk”.

For those interested in the RPS page Cody referenced: https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/tahina-spectabilis

According to the comments left on this page, it seems germination is fairly easy.  Best of luck to all of you Zone 11'ers when you get seeds! :D

That said, it looks as if this might have some level of cold tolerance according to cold hardiness reports:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/21772-tahina-spectabilis/

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

As I recall from a past conversation with Jeff Marcus maybe 18 months ago, he said, "Treasure your Tahinas, nobody knows when one will flower again." These palms live a very long life, at least in their native habitat, and it was the never-before-observed massive monocarpic flowering that led to the discovery of the palm in the first place. No one has followed the full life-cycle of Tahina yet, so it isn't known if they take 10 years to produce seed, or 20, or 40 years. That may change now that the palm is in cultivation, but for the moment, nothing out there. Rare Palm Seeds will be the source for any indigenous seed, you can count on that.

• Like 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A tree recently flowered and produced seed (4,5,6 months ago). Last I heard the seed was collected and we were supposed to have access to them in order to offer it here during our Fundraiser. However, the Covid Virus episode hit at about the same time the seeds arrived at whatever facility they had to navigate to get inspected, etc. We placed the Fundraiser on hold, hoping to be able to offer them in one of the packages. Then we couldn't wait any longer.

There is no telling what has happened to them at this point. They could still show up, but it's anyone's guess.. If they become available, and the Fundraiser is still active - you will be the first to know. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

I would be interested as well.

Contributing to the Tahina Project will encourage the Villagers to take extra good care of the remaining populations and make sure any seeds make it into our gardens.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.