IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newly added Sabal Uresana..

SailorBold

4 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I added my winter protection this afternoon. Overall...I think it grew about 4 leaves over the summer. Here it is in ground ~ 1.5 years.

Looks good!  Mine also added 4 leaves and pushing a fifth.  It's easy to count the undamaged fronds after 9°F temperatures in mid-February!  Same growth results from my slightly larger Sabal guatemalensis.  Your JxB looks awesome as well!

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, Fusca said:

Looks good!  Mine also added 4 leaves and pushing a fifth.  It's easy to count the undamaged fronds after 9°F temperatures in mid-February!  Same growth results from my slightly larger Sabal guatemalensis.  Your JxB looks awesome as well!

Thanks...I plan on protecting the trunk with xmas lights in the future as it gets larger.. i figure if it only defoliates half of the time it may still be a nice looking palm...  really want to try the mexicana tho..

Thank you.. the JxB is becoming a stunner...  I want seeds I want seeds I want seeds !!!  Ill plant these all over my property...

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

On 12/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, Josue Diaz said:

This is mine in Fresno. Like all my other sabal, it's been pretty slow. 

When did you plant your uresana??

On 1/29/2017 at 11:17 PM, Jdiaz31089 said:

Thanks, my "oregana" (uresana) went in the ground this morning! it'll be partly shaded by my neighbor's massive oak tree so I'm hoping for some really long petioles. 

20170129_202126.thumb.jpg.c609551a0470fe

On 12/18/2021 at 9:19 PM, SailorBold said:

When did you plant your uresana??

Looks like it went in the ground Jan 2017. The garden around it has grown immensely but the Sabal looks almost exactly the same haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

Looks like it went in the ground Jan 2017. The garden around it has grown immensely but the Sabal looks almost exactly the same haha

They aren't exactly rocketships are they? :lol:  Looks like yours has a gnarly heel like mine.

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

June 2023 update.. this palm was unprotected last winter.

20230613_090821.jpg

20230613_090810.jpg

20230613_090835.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

Sept. 1st 2023 update..   the palm looks green in the photos.. but I'm hoping it's the highland form!  To me it looks more blue in person...

Overall not my fastest palm.. but not the slowest..

20230901_080031.jpg

20230901_080051.jpg

20230901_080106.jpg

• Like 5

One observation to note.. as I'm watching each new frond.. they are significantly larger than each previously emerged leaf.. by like a third or slightly more. .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SailorBold said:

One observation to note.. as I'm watching each new frond.. they are significantly larger than each previously emerged leaf.. by like a third or slightly more. .

Your previous pics. from '21 & '22 seem to show much bluer leaves. I would take some new shots from about the same time of day as back then. I'm sure the wax hasn't washed off.

As I've stated numerous times in other threads about this species, my 4 largest palms have all taken 5-6 yrs. for the root system to penetrate my soil type (around 50% caliche), before the leaves pick up speed. Another observation: the 2 in the most shade are the bluest, but that also could be that they're both from PD (supposedly the high elev. strain - from all accounts).

If you get a chance, post some new pics around the time I suggested, I'd like to compare them to my shade grown palms.

Hi 89˚, Lo 73˚ - light showers

• Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to get some nice blue color on the fronds !

• Like 2

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

15 minutes ago, iamjv said:

:greenthumb: X 2^ ...Definitely see some blue showing up.. Very Nice.  Think you need one or two more, haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: X 2^ ...Definitely see some blue showing up.. Very Nice.  Think you need one or two more, haha.

I'd agree but I'm pretty sure these are gonna burn every winter.. Im only slightly concerned about overall hardiness tho... would be cool if the leaf petioles get super super long.. which it might do because of afternoon shade..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

I'd agree but I'm pretty sure these are gonna burn every winter.. Im only slightly concerned about overall hardiness tho... would be cool if the leaf petioles get super super long.. which it might do because of afternoon shade..

If they survived the Texas disaster, i think you'll be good..  and, ..by the time they get big, you may not have many winters where you experience much -if any- burn..  Regardless, they'll be fine..  LongerpPetioles are an added bonus on these for sure, though the leaf color, blue ones esp. is the biggest eye catcher.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Some more shots.. didn't get any up close...

20230910_125529.jpg

20230910_125522.jpg

20230910_125520.jpg

20230910_125510.jpg

These shots are much better for highlighting the blue aspect of this species. They are even better than your '21 & '22 images. Thanks for posting again. Here's one from 9-1:

20230901_080031.jpg

Hi 114˚, Lo 76˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

On 9/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, iamjv said:

Fingers crossed for the Highland form... how did yours fair in San Antonio?  How old was yours? Not sure if you mentioned it...

On 9/10/2023 at 9:06 PM, Tom in Tucson said:

These shots are much better for highlighting the blue aspect of this species. They are even better than your '21 & '22 images. Thanks for posting again. Here's one from 9-1:

20230901_080031.jpg

Hi 114˚, Lo 76˚

Thanks.. no problem. I enjoy keeping a record and reading others insights... I just noticed it grew pretty quick in the last 2 weeks... !

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 11:10 PM, SailorBold said:

Fingers crossed for the Highland form... how did yours fair in San Antonio?  How old was yours? Not sure if you mentioned it...

My pure blue uresana (15 years old) had zero damage on it after the historic freeze... totally surprised me.   My other SU, which isn't as blue but is larger and older (seeds from U of AZ), had about 50% frond damage...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 5 months later...

Quick update..  2/16/24

No protection this winter.

20240216_140450.jpg

20240216_140438.jpg

20240216_140437.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3