Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

spread the disease


waykoolplantz

Recommended Posts

Let us step back and look at our palm addiction and discuss possible ways of infecting others with this illness

In the past i have suggested we look at those visiting tropical locations as most vunerable

We missed the opportunity of the 'Green Wave' with both resorts and cruise lines but feel as a educational society we should find little resistance to co-operation.  In the resort world a single sheet flyer on the palms on site could bring awareness. I picture it as a yellow sheet with sepia drawings...left in the room at the resort.. the diff tween fan and feather is new and eye opening and suddenly theyre not just palm trees  WOW.

Please be creative..think about what sparked your passion and how we can ignite it in others.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

Let us step back and look at our palm addiction and discuss possible ways of infecting others with this illness

In the past i have suggested we look at those visiting tropical locations as most vunerable

We missed the opportunity of the 'Green Wave' with both resorts and cruise lines but feel as a educational society we should find little resistance to co-operation.  In the resort world a single sheet flyer on the palms on site could bring awareness. I picture it as a yellow sheet with sepia drawings...left in the room at the resort.. the diff tween fan and feather is new and eye opening and suddenly theyre not just palm trees  WOW.

Please be creative..think about what sparked your passion and how we can ignite it in others.

Those are good suggestions.

Certainly the Orlando and Miami Beach areas where people tend to vacation are great starts.  Daytona Beach perhaps?  Gaylord Palms in Orlando would be a great place to start since it is effectively a captive audience and they have an atrium full of exotic palms.  Guaranteed people who are not palm nuts look at some of that and want to know more.

Waiting rooms for doctors and dentists?  Public parks?

  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Guaranteed people who are not palm nuts look at some of that and want to know more.

exactly...and a Gaylord Palms flyer in each room can be a take home momento & the intro we need.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i dont know if IPS has a outreach program to include educational institutions but obviously AG programs could easily include palms.

Maybe give a abbreviated membership as a graduation gift to the students in the program.

Fund a travelling lecturer. Dont know if Paul Craft has the time but doubt we could find a better rerpresentative here in S Florida.  

Donate plants to school campus'. Kyle documented his efforts on campus in Gville here on PalmTalk

I gave a Tahina to University of Miami 's garden...would donate another to where its impact would make a difference

the IPS bylaws state 'solely and exclusively for scientific and/or educational purposes' and if we refocused the society toward its stated purpose instead of self-aggrandisement the IPS's obituary may be premature

  • Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I checked and they do have a YouTube channel. A total of 73 subscribers and 10 videos, all posted 4 years ago, and most of which have well under 1,000 views. Maybe somebody could start posting more content, members on here could submit videos. I would limit it to maybe higher quality gardens and localities.  More content will equal more search hits, leading to more subscribers. Maybe edit the video to include the IPS logo and information at the beginning?


https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkcr0EhbVXmIp80dtFdqhjA

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Well I checked and they do have a YouTube channel. A total of 73 subscribers and 10 videos, all posted 4 years ago, and most of which have well under 1,000 views. Maybe somebody could start posting more content, members on here could submit videos. I would limit it to maybe higher quality gardens and localities.  More content will equal more search hits, leading to more subscribers. Maybe edit the video to include the IPS logo and information at the beginning?


https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkcr0EhbVXmIp80dtFdqhjA

Thanks for mentioning the YouTube channel Daniel. I’m am in total agreement of the value of YouTube. When it was first set up (along with Facebook and Instagram at the same time- we didn’t have all three), a notice was sent out for content. I loaded some simple videos to start the process. My friend Jim gave me the video of the drone coverage of a famous palm garden. A few others sent videos too. But it really died not long after as you see. It really is another job just trying to solicited content for YouTube. The good news is there is some interest from a few other directors to try and expand our YouTube channel. As an example, we should have the two great webinars Robert did online shortly. I’m also happy to load as many good videos as I get of palmy content. But I don’t have the time to coordinate the ongoing solicitation of content and no one else appears to either. It really is one of the greatest weaknesses right now for the IPS - lack of volunteers. Even if we had someone that videos on a regular basis the many gardens or habitats they see and sent us their videos, it would be a great a start. 

  • Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, LJG said:

Thanks for mentioning the YouTube channel Daniel. I’m am in total agreement of the value of YouTube. When it was first set up (along with Facebook and Instagram at the same time- we didn’t have all three), a notice was sent out for content. I loaded some simple videos to start the process. My friend Jim gave me the video of the drone coverage of a famous palm garden. A few others sent videos too. But it really died not long after as you see. It really is another job just trying to solicited content for YouTube. The good news is there is some interest from a few other directors to try and expand our YouTube channel. As an example, we should have the two great webinars Robert did online shortly. I’m also happy to load as many good videos as I get of palmy content. But I don’t have the time to coordinate the ongoing solicitation of content and no one else appears to either. It really is one of the greatest weaknesses right now for the IPS - lack of volunteers. Even if we had someone that videos on a regular basis the many gardens or habitats they see and sent us their videos, it would be a great a start. 

A few contributors on PalmTalk have YouTube channels that are choc-full of good content.  Here are a few channels as examples:

The Palmfather : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1GEYs8c4xvOo5jH52a8y7Q

Southern Ontario Palms and Tropicals : https://www.youtube.com/user/EhTeamRacing/videos

Earthworks Jax ( PalmTips playlist - Narrated by David Cassella - an IPS member ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQD43nkOADU&list=PLuXavi62l-9_I8jk1Wk4aKxfyrYMU6MG5

Banana Joe: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKuw8vZL_BS7vOtvCUjCefQ

Plantspotter69: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8mB5NEgjTnW0fNvB0mrqiQ

PalmTreeDude : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQx9xmL1DuMpNuDjmzuzD0A/featured

1royalpalm : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKel6w1EWJgvCbe8fEdGNw

Tom Broome  : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChvLjfhL48q-Ub8hsvhkb5w

Tennessee Palms  : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkJX-mhBRjOhIKZ5RAXQGLQ

TropicalPDX : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggoFyiUOrl-1047MBD_w0Q

Keith Zimmerman : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCInEiBz9feuGDgL9t8KdQkw

This list is a pretty geographically diverse list and represents some of the better content available.  Perhaps one, some, or all of these content channels could help you out?

  • Upvote 5

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

A few contributors on PalmTalk have YouTube channels that are choc-full of good content.  Here are a few channels as examples:

The Palmfather : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1GEYs8c4xvOo5jH52a8y7Q

Southern Ontario Palms and Tropicals : https://www.youtube.com/user/EhTeamRacing/videos

Earthworks Jax ( PalmTips playlist - Narrated by David Cassella - an IPS member ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQD43nkOADU&list=PLuXavi62l-9_I8jk1Wk4aKxfyrYMU6MG5

Banana Joe: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKuw8vZL_BS7vOtvCUjCefQ

Plantspotter69: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8mB5NEgjTnW0fNvB0mrqiQ

PalmTreeDude : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQx9xmL1DuMpNuDjmzuzD0A/featured

1royalpalm : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKel6w1EWJgvCbe8fEdGNw

Tom Broome  : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChvLjfhL48q-Ub8hsvhkb5w

Tennessee Palms  : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkJX-mhBRjOhIKZ5RAXQGLQ

TropicalPDX : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggoFyiUOrl-1047MBD_w0Q

Keith Zimmerman : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCInEiBz9feuGDgL9t8KdQkw

This list is a pretty geographically diverse list and represents some of the better content available.  Perhaps one, some, or all of these content channels could help you out?

I follow or have seen many of these pages. They are great. 

  • Like 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice ideas, but I don't think there's a single, simple easy way.

I've found that sharing the joy at all opportunities with those who want to, works best.

Give away seeds and plants, sell a few more. Show your garden, and put in contact with like-minded others.

This takes time. But it's worth it.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jeff Searle has a REALLY fantastic youtube channel aswell https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6qXJJ0hLhXmyv8RsbWM9g

Hard to remember exactly what got me into Palms, I grew up hating them... Somewhere around the peak of my tropical plant addiction palms came in. Might've been the coconut or lipstick palm that grabbed me. I've been having my friends that are interested in other plants come by, and I show them all these beautiful exotic palms i've collected, and tell them about why I love them now. Also as an Urban Designer i constantly talk about the need of conservation and propagating palms as urban trees and how that can one day act as a way to reintroduce species to places they've been removed from to just keeping a species from being extinct. I also try to teach fellow urbanists about the dangers of overpruning palms, and how you CAN plant them to create shade and show them examples of my yard where palms provide the majority of the shade in certain areas. But there's also teaching them that you can mix regular trees and palms together. Something I think people forget about. I love seeing a palm shoot through a live oak canopy like at Rob's garden in Sarasota. Places like Kopsick Arborieitum and any garden that has a variety of palms I think are great ways to get people into palms. Maybe IPS can make a distinction/list of great public places to see palms and let these places aware that IPS is promoting them so that they can stick a sign or something that talks about what IPS does and what not.

For me Palms are about ambiance that they create, from the sounds of the ruffling in the wind, to the sound of rain hitting a fan palm, to the tropical vibes they imbew into a scene.

Also Dave's point is also great! Dave sent me a bunch of palm seeds few years ago, and I cant say enough how much that helps to grow plants from babies. I think I should start throwing in palm seeds with my orders and give-aways. Also visiting Dave's garden and other IPS members is so incredible eye opening and educational
 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2020 at 1:42 AM, waykoolplantz said:

i dont know if IPS has a outreach program to include educational institutions but obviously AG programs could easily include palms.

I went to a Vo-Ag high school in CT and then went on to the Stockbridge school of Agriculture for Arboriculture and then Umass for environmental design. Nothing taught about palms other than occasional mentions in lectures on monocot plants or whatever. Probably mostly because there's few palms in New England.

I sell common Palm seeds on Ebay, Mostly easy to germinate palms that the more advanced collectors here aren't really interested in or call weeds or invasive species.  In each of my Ebay listings I mention the IPS in the title and description and direct viewers to this forum. Having been in business all my life I'm well aware of brand recognition and the use of repetition. Here's an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/233611871279

I've been thinking I'll send a box full of seed to the Vo-Ag high school I went when they go back, explaining that I was a student there and was never exposed to palms. The box would have enough seed for every student to grow some they could keep in a pot. Start them in the greenhouses and take home at the end of the school year. I'm thinking Adonidia merrillii would be good.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some great suggestions here! Much appreciated.

I would love an active official volunteer program within the IPS. All the Directors and officers are volunteers, but often need reliable assistance and a pool of talent to follow through with specific tasks and fresh ideas like some I read about on PalmTalk.

 For those interested in even more involvement, volunteers could turn into a pool of Directors who can help the society proceed. Perhaps we could transition into fewer Directors and adding a Trustee group with defined responsibilities different from those of the Directors.

This would require ByLaws modification and reorganization.

Too much on my plate at the moment to explore and (if practical) instigate these ideas, but look forward to seeing possibilities for the near future.

I assure you all that even when I don't reply I value your enthusiasm and thank you for all you do as individuals to support the IPS.

  • Like 1

Cindy Adair

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to reiterate what was said recently on another post, that we all should try to acknowledge our own new members a little better.

I will do this, I volunteer, although I am not on line much, and know nothing about most posts, whenever I see a new member count that is low I will acknowledge the question despite probably not knowing the answer, that will at least bump up the question so that it is not buried and someone else may help. Really we should not be seeing a new member count 1 with a question that has 40 views and no replies. 

I know that I am sick of saying "Mate, crikey post a picture, give more details, give us your location and for goodness sake take it out of that mud for a start".  But I am going to say welcome and politely try to help them, like most of you here do already. I'm preaching to the converted I know but It is a little effort that we all can do to help spread the disease.

 

  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

   

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

There is palms in every southern state EXEPT DC,Virginia how about we start in dc it has a lack of vegetation we can inform people that hardy palms can survive here

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I mentioned previously I promote Palmtalk & IPS in my Ebay seed listings. A member there who bought seeds from me has tried to join Palmtalk and been waiting for "approval". Apparently long enough to become disappointed and tired of waiting and then send me a PM on Ebay which I returned saying I'd try to check into why so long (even though I'm just a member here) if he sent me his name. I got another PM back with his name today. Who should I contact to check with about getting him approved?

If it's difficult to join less people will. I understand trying to keep out the spam, but at what cost? Other forums have some hoops to jump through to make sure bots are kept to a minimum and new members can be approved in just a few minutes. Perhaps there's a software update or something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

As I mentioned previously I promote Palmtalk & IPS in my Ebay seed listings. A member there who bought seeds from me has tried to join Palmtalk and been waiting for "approval". Apparently long enough to become disappointed and tired of waiting and then send me a PM on Ebay which I returned saying I'd try to check into why so long (even though I'm just a member here) if he sent me his name. I got another PM back with his name today. Who should I contact to check with about getting him approved?

If it's difficult to join less people will. I understand trying to keep out the spam, but at what cost? Other forums have some hoops to jump through to make sure bots are kept to a minimum and new members can be approved in just a few minutes. Perhaps there's a software update or something?

PM me his name (UserName or email address). There are several possibilities. If he has not confirmed his email address, or the request was "caught" by his spam filter - then the process does not complete. It is possible the email he used is tied to spam in some fashion. Or there are several other reasons. 

He can always "Contact Us" from the bottom of any page and get in touch with me directly.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PALM MOD said:

PM me his name (UserName or email address).

Thanks for the quick response! I only know his real name so I replied to his last PM on Ebay and quoted your post above. So either he'll contact you directly or I'll PM you with his screen name or email address. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2020 at 1:08 PM, NOT A TA said:

I went to a Vo-Ag high school in CT and then went on to the Stockbridge school of Agriculture for Arboriculture and then Umass for environmental design. Nothing taught about palms other than occasional mentions in lectures on monocot plants or whatever. Probably mostly because there's few palms in New England.

I've been thinking I'll send a box full of seed to the Vo-Ag high school I went when they go back, explaining that I was a student there and was never exposed to palms. The box would have enough seed for every student to grow some they could keep in a pot. Start them in the greenhouses and take home at the end of the school year. I'm thinking Adonidia merrillii would be good.

I contacted the director at the high school I attended and received the response copied & pasted below. So I'll send them a good sized package of seed with some basic instructions on germinating them in their greenhouses. Hopefully someone there (students and/or faculty) will learn something new by being exposed to palms. This led me to the question of "What should I send with the seed to enlighten the faculty and students that the International Palm Society even exists?"  Is there any type of brochure or something I could download & print to send along with the seed? I'll throw in the Sept. issue of Palms I have but it's better to put something in each persons hand even if it's just a business size piece of paper with the IPS logo and website on it.

 

Hi John -

What an unexpected email! We are thrilled to learn that the Vo-Ag program in Trumbull was a springboard to your exciting career!

 We will most appreciatively accept your donation of a box full of palm seeds. Thank you so much for thinking of us.

 Sincerely,

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2020 at 9:32 AM, kinzyjr said:

Waiting rooms for doctors and dentists? 

I have purposely left my copies of Palms in doctors offices after I read them.

 

On 6/28/2020 at 1:42 AM, waykoolplantz said:

i dont know if IPS has a outreach program to include educational institutions but obviously AG programs could easily include palms.

Does anyone know if there's anyone in charge of recruiting new members? Is there any active programs to recruit members or do they just have to stumble upon the IPS on the web like I did?

 

On 7/7/2020 at 5:51 AM, Cindy Adair said:

I would love an active official volunteer program within the IPS. All the Directors and officers are volunteers, but often need reliable assistance and a pool of talent to follow through with specific tasks and fresh ideas like some I read about on PalmTalk.

What would it take to create a volunteer program? I'm sure there's some folks who would have some time each week to upload youtube videos, contact educational institutions, or other things like that to help promote the IPS.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John has a great suggestion. 

send a box of seeds...tailored to location as much as possible...include a stack of flyers, each which show mature palms & include basic info.

of course IPS logo & info...maybe offer a intro membership. 

Plant Seeds...in both soil & minds.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the enthusiasm! Excellent ideas.

I have just forwarded a link to this topic to the membership/publicity committee Chair and hope she or another member of that committee (PRAMM) can help. 

If we do not hear back I can email more Directors who hold various other positions.
 

 

Cindy Adair

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talking about this, i joined IPS on October 8th and i still can't read "IPS members forums only"? Is there a check period?

Thanks

Edited by dalmatiansoap
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your membership information is part of our website which has Wordpress software.

Wordpress is not designed to directly connect with the forum based Invision software of PalmTalk.

Our website now has a space where we can add our PT username designed to smooth the process in the future.

Please send a private message to Palm mod (Dean Ouer) and he will update your status while we continue to improve our efficiency.

  • Like 1

Cindy Adair

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Talking about this, i joined IPS on October 8th and i still can't read "IPS members forums only"? Is there a check period?

Thanks

As Cindy explained, if you joined the full IPS membership (not the new free membership tier) you are entitled to several extra perks here on PalmTalk. But you have to let me know your Real Name, IPS Member Number, show me a receipt for payment, or some other info to confirm you are a current full paying member. 

Then you will be able to sell palms, have no limits on searching topics, more PM space, etc.

  • Like 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

As I mentioned previously in this thread I think there's a number of ways of reaching out to Palm enthusiasts who may not even know the IPS exists. The High School VO AG program was happy to get a box of palm seed but I didn't have any promotional stuff to send with it. I'm persistent & patient when I'm on a mission and so because there was no IPS promotional material available to send with it I started the process. With help from @LJG  Stansfeld LLC (the company that takes care of these things for the IPS) just produced new 4" X 5" promotional cards that I'll include in orders beginning tomorrow. So without further jabbering I introduce to you the......

NEW IPS PROMOTIONAL CARD !!!

20210208_135158.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210208_135212.jpg?width=1920&height=10

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, NOT A TA said:

As I mentioned previously in this thread I think there's a number of ways of reaching out to Palm enthusiasts who may not even know the IPS exists. The High School VO AG program was happy to get a box of palm seed but I didn't have any promotional stuff to send with it. I'm persistent & patient when I'm on a mission and so because there was no IPS promotional material available to send with it I started the process. With help from @LJG  Stansfeld LLC (the company that takes care of these things for the IPS) just produced new 4" X 5" promotional cards that I'll include in orders beginning tomorrow. So without further jabbering I introduce to you the......

NEW IPS PROMOTIONAL CARD !!!

20210208_135158.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210208_135212.jpg?width=1920&height=10

 

Sorry, I haven’t been over here as much as I use to be. Thanks so much for helping to spread the word. We have had signups thanks to you!

  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...