IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 palms in South Texas

Xenon

Last summer was hot down there, I think they broke records last June. I’m not sure as far as rainfall where the year stood, but I’m sure they would have preferred extra irrigation.

I am really enjoying this thread. I grew up in the RGV.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 3 weeks later...

Coconut palms becoming more common in Matamoros as well. Have a number of neighbors here in Los Fresnos with coconuts as well. 

1664D1E9-81EF-44E3-877A-EA06C0FCD03B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Coconut in Mercedes, between Brownsville and McAllen. Photo by Richard Travis

FB_IMG_1594427336584.thumb.jpg.6cd64c1add77cc52ed8f3ea263a5f2f8.jpg

Richard also has a nice foxy lady in his garden 

FB_IMG_1594427323103.thumb.jpg.92452a38a73e8f4435080ba8ec8ac904.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

10 hours ago, LF-TX said:

Coconut palms becoming more common in Matamoros as well. Have a number of neighbors here in Los Fresnos with coconuts as well. 

Was wondering where you went...you need to stop teasing us with these Los Fresnos coconuts and post some pics! :winkie:

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from there and took some pics worth sharing. Found a few more coconuts. An Adonidia, and several ptychospermas. 

20D6D79E-BE32-4150-B147-D33B7E04D555.png

FE972192-579A-4A5F-8D32-F6C52676BD2A.jpeg

F135D240-CC8F-4CF4-84FF-9713DC8A2AD5.png

9795FB01-E3D7-4B2F-A300-A55307F88FF5.png

FCCF68E2-9432-43A3-BCC7-F0DAC24A9A10.png

25931A4B-62C8-40CE-8B7F-D973A76BC6B4.png

7E82C2BA-1356-4986-B7A2-1D9F13A8D8BF.jpeg

979A2BAA-3D27-4193-AB08-3EDA0576AA67.jpeg

964D0C74-3F25-43AD-94A6-2B4D4B99AE77.jpeg

1101AEC0-861A-471F-B54B-02271DE2C6B8.jpeg

6F5A08C9-DC93-47E8-A4A1-493CA0E5245A.png

4300359D-427A-4758-83F1-7B6BFBBFC35A.png

871DE90F-CEF2-41E4-A5AC-D07D6AF1C643.jpeg

B378F7C3-02D0-4864-8A52-69F3F1FD0790.png

E6D772DE-9642-4A59-80BE-F5E0AE6A9D0D.jpeg

C9ED1C04-CBE9-4910-B89C-38CFD927CFB7.jpeg

114C97A8-12FD-4EA3-B422-F54DD3C51E4D.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Pics look great, thanks! Let's hope the RGV gets some more warm winters in a row so the coconuts can look even more robust!

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

2 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

E6D772DE-9642-4A59-80BE-F5E0AE6A9D0D.jpeg

114C97A8-12FD-4EA3-B422-F54DD3C51E4D.jpeg

Wow can't believe I missed these,  Port Isabel? 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

9 hours ago, Xenon said:

Wow can't believe I missed these,  Port Isabel? 

Yeah. Both had nuts on them too. They seem to be gaining popularity in the area, which is awesome. 

• 1 month later...

This could be a contender for the tallest coconut in Texas? The pic is not taken at ground level (notice the car in the lower right), so it actually has even more trunk. It's already well established in 2007 street view, so probably ~20 years old? Growing in west Brownsville 

117012159_10160493083615620_4791058737778171258_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=UDPeN8SKSb4AX8u87Gs&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=f8ed34f84a3a1608b23d9da3a4dd84c7&oe=5F90ED9E

• Like 6

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Interesting to see thrinax radiata, and those bottle palms look real happy. Thanks for the pictures.

Very nice and tall especially for TX. The crown looks like it isnt too happy. It's probably suffered through a lot of rough weather over the years. Hopefully they can get some warm winters to complement the rest of the year and give the coconut palm a much needed break.

47 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

Very nice and tall especially for TX. The crown looks like it isnt too happy. It's probably suffered through a lot of rough weather over the years. Hopefully they can get some warm winters to complement the rest of the year and give the coconut palm a much needed break.

The last two winters were very warm (nothing below 35F), a lot of things in that area would look much better with more irrigation.  It's borderline semi-arid. I think tropicals look better in the wealthier parts of McAllen which is another 30 or 40 miles inland with even less rainfall. Heat island effect also keeps that area warm. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Amazing to see what can be grown in South Texas. I cant believe all of that is able to be grown a half a days drive south of me! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am beyond sad

Repost of what I believe was the tallest TX coconut, west Brownsville. Notice the roof line at the lower left

FB_IMG_1613500048295.jpg.0d7041977c401d5bf31273904a394947.jpg

Another behemoth. Photos pulled from a real estate listing. First two are from 2014 (after a fairly cold winter). Last one from 2007

FB_IMG_1613500471947.jpg.8f635ce3441227bf6f4582c1359bddcf.jpgFB_IMG_1613500483710.jpg.afa4a6d482094d7c12eeb7f367143b08.jpgFB_IMG_1613500489179.jpg.9e11687b50b150b464f355083d98309b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 2/16/2021 at 12:37 PM, Xenon said:

I am beyond sad

Repost of what I believe was the tallest TX coconut, west Brownsville. Notice the roof line at the lower left

FB_IMG_1613500048295.jpg.0d7041977c401d5bf31273904a394947.jpg

Another behemoth. Photos pulled from a real estate listing. First two are from 2014 (after a fairly cold winter). Last one from 2007

FB_IMG_1613500471947.jpg.8f635ce3441227bf6f4582c1359bddcf.jpgFB_IMG_1613500483710.jpg.afa4a6d482094d7c12eeb7f367143b08.jpgFB_IMG_1613500489179.jpg.9e11687b50b150b464f355083d98309b.jpg

Jonathan,

I am VERY SAD too.  It is heart breaking!!!  I am planning a trip down there in the next week or two, and I plan on taking lots of pics.  I am hoping there are at least a few survivors in perfect microclimates.  The two on Red Snapper on South Padre Island will surely be missed.

John

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Jonathan,

I am VERY SAD too.  It is heart breaking!!!  I am planning a trip down there in the next week or two, and I plan on taking lots of pics.  I am hoping there are at least a few survivors in perfect microclimates.  The two on Red Snapper on South Padre Island will surely be missed.

John

How did you fair on Flour Bluff? Heavy losses to your collection?

45 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

How cold did it get on South Padre Island?  Brownsville?  McAllen?

I think I saw 22F -23F posted.  Pretty bad for SPI!

Those zone 10b palms are not in good shape I'm guessing (Ptychosperma, Adonidia, Cocos, etc.).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I think I saw 22F -23F posted.  Pretty bad for SPI!

Those zone 10b palms are not in good shape I'm guessing (Ptychosperma, Adonidia, Cocos, etc.).

Yeah anything 10B is gone without protection.  Be on the lookout for possibly a few 10A survivors. 

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

On 2/18/2021 at 6:27 PM, Meangreen94z said:

How did you fair on Flour Bluff? Heavy losses to your collection?

Daniel,

Very heavy losses.  As far as I can tell, my Silver Queen is injured, but will be fine, my other Queen Palm, I am not sure, as the crown collapsed, Paurotis Palm is okay, Ribbon Palm is okay, Chinese Fan Palm is okay, Silver Date Palm is okay, Med Fan Palm is okay, Florida Saw Palm is okay and still very green, Mexican Fan Palm survived, Cat Palm survived, and Bamboo Palm survived.  I think my Pancho variety Avocado Tree survived, little Mandarin that's only been in the ground for about 6 or 7 months survived, Meyer Lemon survived, but both will probably lose all their leaves and buds, and my Calomondin will probably survive, but is more injured than what I would have expected, since I thought they are the most cold hardy of the Citrus.  But what is surprising is that my Carpentaria Palms seem to have survived, but injured (they are somewhat under the canopy of my Hong Kong Orchid Tree), Triangle Palm survived and is still pretty green (it is little, but also under the canopy of my Hong Kong Orchid Tree), and it appears that my Mexican Lime may have survived, which I thought was the least hardy of the Citrus, but will probably lose all its leaves and buds.  What I don't know about are my 3 in ground Coconut Palms (very likely dead, even though they were wrapped with sheets), my Florida Royal and Puerto Rican Royal (both wrapped with sheets, but who knows, since it got down to 18F here), King Palm (maxima) which was absolutely beautiful last week, (wrapped in sheets, but who knows with the temps we had), Foxtail Palm (also wrapped with sheets), Clustering Fishtail Palm (not protected, but multiple trunks, so who knows if one or two of the central trunks survived), Florida Thatch Palm, and Bottle Palm (planted in the flower bed at the south corner of the house, and still has one green leaf and the green spear in the middle).  Don't know about my Hong Kong Orchid Tree, Royal Poinciana, Florida Strangler Fig, Ficus nitida, or big Sea Grape (which still looked somewhat green yesterday, but is very brown today).  It appears that my Jatropha may survive, but was severely injured, and who knows about my Plumerias (the trunks and some of the limbs are still rigid).

John

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Daniel,

Very heavy losses.  As far as I can tell, my Silver Queen is injured, but will be fine, my other Queen Palm, I am not sure, as the crown collapsed, Paurotis Palm is okay, Ribbon Palm is okay, Chinese Fan Palm is okay, Silver Date Palm is okay, Med Fan Palm is okay, Florida Saw Palm is okay and still very green, Mexican Fan Palm survived, Cat Palm survived, and Bamboo Palm survived.  I think my Pancho variety Avocado Tree survived, little Mandarin that's only been in the ground for about 6 or 7 months survived, Meyer Lemon survived, but both will probably lose all their leaves and buds, and my Calomondin will probably survive, but is more injured than what I would have expected, since I thought they are the most cold hardy of the Citrus.  But what is surprising is that my Carpentaria Palms seem to have survived, but injured (they are somewhat under the canopy of my Hong Kong Orchid Tree), Triangle Palm survived and is still pretty green (it is little, but also under the canopy of my Hong Kong Orchid Tree), and it appears that my Mexican Lime may have survived, which I thought was the least hardy of the Citrus, but will probably lose all its leaves and buds.  What I don't know about are my 3 in ground Coconut Palms (very likely dead, even though they were wrapped with sheets), my Florida Royal and Puerto Rican Royal (both wrapped with sheets, but who knows, since it got down to 18F here), King Palm (maxima) which was absolutely beautiful last week, (wrapped in sheets, but who knows with the temps we had), Foxtail Palm (also wrapped with sheets), Clustering Fishtail Palm (not protected, but multiple trunks, so who knows if one or two of the central trunks survived), Florida Thatch Palm, and Bottle Palm (planted in the flower bed at the south corner of the house, and still has one green leaf and the green spear in the middle).  Don't know about my Hong Kong Orchid Tree, Royal Poinciana, Florida Strangler Fig, Ficus nitida, or big Sea Grape (which still looked somewhat green yesterday, but is very brown today).  It appears that my Jatropha may survive, but was severely injured, and who knows about my Plumerias (the trunks and some of the limbs are still rigid).

John

Sorry to hear about your losses John. That’s amazing your Carpentaria and Triangle palms seemed to have survived, I would have never guessed either could endure 18f.

Fingers crossed for the rest of your collection. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Hopefully you have some survivors John. But it will take several months to see the real extent of the damage.

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

2 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Hopefully you have some survivors John. But it will take several months to see the real extent of the damage.

What Pastor Randy says. In 2010 much of my stuff that "looks okay" and "still green" in mid-winter was flat out dead by May. I can't imagine any zone 10 stuff surviving low 20s for more than minutes much less many hours/days.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

17 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Sorry to hear about your losses John. That’s amazing your Carpentaria and Triangle palms seemed to have survived, I would have never guessed either could endure 18f.

Fingers crossed for the rest of your collection. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Thank you.

8 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

What Pastor Randy says. In 2010 much of my stuff that "looks okay" and "still green" in mid-winter was flat out dead by May. I can't imagine any zone 10 stuff surviving low 20s for more than minutes much less many hours/days.

Yeah, that's what I am worried about.  I actually got down to 18F, but the Brownsville/South Padre area of the the RGV, got down into the low 20'sF.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Daniel,

John

That’s great that your carpentaria look good so far! If they make it and produce seed, then please send me some! :)

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

21 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

That’s great that your carpentaria look good so far! If they make it and produce seed, then please send me some! :)

Okay.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Daniel,

John

Could you give us an update on your garden John? How does everything look now that more time has passed?

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Did some more looking around this weekend.  This is the smallest Royal palm I have seen so far that appears to have survived February's cold weather BS. This is on Padre Blvd, the main drag thru town.

Pix 2 is of the largest red mangrove I know in Texas.  It is at Boca Chica beach about 100 yards from the gulf and main channel of the Rio Grande.  As you can see, it was almost completely defoliated, but the branches and bark still feel good.  There is some tip die-back (about 6 inches), but branches right along the ground still held leave as you can see in pix 3. 

Finally, pix 4 shows a fried buttonwood (Conocarpus erectus) at Brazos Island.  This is just across the ship channel from SPI.  I did find some green leaves on this plan on branches running along the ground.  Also, I found a new leaf budding on one of the fried branches, so it appears there is still some life left in this plant.

I have seen a Veitchia arecina that still looks to be alive as well as a foxtail.  Coconuts palms still look to be in hibernation. 

small royal.jpg

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

• Like 5

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

14 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

Did some more looking around this weekend.  This is the smallest Royal palm I have seen so far that appears to have survived February's cold weather BS. This is on Padre Blvd, the main drag thru town.

Pix 2 is of the largest red mangrove I know in Texas.  It is at Boca Chica beach about 100 yards from the gulf and main channel of the Rio Grande.  As you can see, it was almost completely defoliated, but the branches and bark still feel good.  There is some tip die-back (about 6 inches), but branches right along the ground still held leave as you can see in pix 3. 

Finally, pix 4 shows a fried buttonwood (Conocarpus erectus) at Brazos Island.  This is just across the ship channel from SPI.  I did find some green leaves on this plan on branches running along the ground.  Also, I found a new leaf budding on one of the fried branches, so it appears there is still some life left in this plant.

I have seen a Veitchia arecina that still looks to be alive as well as a foxtail.  Coconuts palms still look to be in hibernation. 

small royal.jpg

And the pigmy dates are goners!  Yet they sell those in San Antonio! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

I’m surprised so many zone 10 palms have survived in the RGV. I thought maybe a mature royal sheltered from the wind could, but veitchia? Seriously? That’s mind blowing. It was 23f there and barely broke above freezing the whole day. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 10:38 PM, Austinpalm said:

small royal.jpg

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

Wow!!!  I am hoping there will be more survivors, including at least a few Coconut Palms.  I am glad to see at least one Red Mangrove and a Buttonwood survived there.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:49 PM, RedRabbit said:

Could you give us an update on your garden John? How does everything look now that more time has passed?

I will try to do that tomorrow when I should have some more time to evaluate my yard again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1