IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any pictures on CIDP

Kris

Mike,

Thanks for adding to this nice collections of CIDPs from around the world.  It looks like the CIDP do well there in Burmuda, I can see why with your minimal temp extremes.  Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Another CIDP this one at SeaWorld of San Antonio...  Jv

2909242790042188999S600x600Q85.jpg

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

(iamjv @ Apr. 03 2008,20:06)

Another CIDP this one at SeaWorld of San Antonio...  Jv

2909242790042188999S600x600Q85.jpg

Ahhhh.  Defintely grown to perfection.  Thanks for sharing.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Here is a pic of a canary (at Huntington Gardens) that probably has a little bit of some other phx in it...  Jv

1128237296042188999S600x600Q85.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dear Jv  :)

lovely stills and can you or anyone here in our forum identify a cidp as a male or female form looking at its leaves or trunk of a young palm...any visual examples of it ?

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, I am sure someone here can but I can't...  it would be interesting to know if there is a way to tell prior to the plant flowering.   Jv

Mike,

Thanks for adding to this nice collections of CIDPs from around the world.  It looks like the CIDP do well there in Burmuda, I can see why with your minimal temp extremes.  Jv

Jv- No problem.  They are somewhat invasive here. I guess we have a somewhat similiar climate to the Canaries. I don't think the ones in Bermuda look any better than the ones posted here though. The one you posted in 82 looks really really healthy! Much better than the ones here. Excellent photos guys.

Here is one going invasive in some scrub land near the coast. I tried to get a good shot of it but trees were in the way.

IMG_1328.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

hi kris this foto i take this week for another post, thers also some syagrus and archontophoenix in the foto.

PICT1058.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

An artsy-fartsy shot from Silves, the old Moorish capital of Al Gharb

post-37-1207413517_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Charles nice artsy shot!!!

Here is one taken at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens.  Jv

2962169260042188999S600x600Q85.jpg

Dear Cristóbal,Charles,Jv & Michael  :)

beautiful visuals of my most favouraite palm though many had warned me that this phoenix is the high maintanence & very spiny-painy palm to grow.but i love it,more & more as days go by,since to the best of my knowledge goes no one has grown this palm in chennai...and i have doubts wheather any growing in india itself...the reason i do not know..?

Not avaliable in our nurseries too...

And dear Charles your still is very very beautiful and from now on my dreams of heaven will all be in that location... :D

Once again thanks friends for keeping this thread active & Live,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Friends :)

here is a lovely Link ! On CIDP's,hope all the CIDP fan will love it,since its trying really hard to fight the wrong zone its being planted in ! :huh:

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris - I posted these a while ago (last year I think) but here they are again. The first is taken in Santa Barbara.

100_2821.jpg

These are at the Bahia in San Diego.

100_3751.jpg

100_3754.jpg

:)

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Another shot from my neck of the woods. An interesting variation on Scott's picture above. Apart from looking less green, the frond stems are noticeably flared at the trunk and woodier. The trunks look about the same size, or perhaps the scale is deceptive.

post-1155-1209628642_thumb.jpg

From the Greenhouse to My house

post-57-1209669665_thumb.jpg

post-57-1209669689_thumb.jpg

post-57-1209669694_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Dear Scotty,John & Bobby :)

lovely stills gentlemen ! and bobby is that CIDP going to get planted on the ground ? since its roots are lifting up the palm from its pot ! And your black sports car looks great is it japanese make ? :)

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 months later...

Dear Phoenix lover :)

Visit this link and see how many varities of phoenix palms are there...And really i have not seen so much different types in my whole life ! :drool:

The Link

love,

By the way if you folks have new CIDP stills,i request you all to add those to this thread.since iam organising their images all under one header.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Island Vis, Croatia

IMG_2560.jpg

Edited by Pivi
  • Upvote 1

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Village Orebic and island Korcula (Croatia)

Foto-CMLTKG6C.jpg

Foto-JGIV44YB.jpg

Foto-ATVL7KTN.jpg

Greets

• Upvote 1

Temperature 2008 High:89.2 °F / 31.8 °C Low:24.6 °F / -4.1 °C Average:50.9 °F / 10.5 °C

Temperature in 2000-2008 High:100.6 °F / 38.1 °C Low:19.8 °F / -6.8 °C Average:54.0 °F / 12.2 °C

Zone 9?? that would be awsome!!! but i think 8b.

This is a wonderful shot of Bahia Gardens... (photo taken by Doron Nissim). The CIDPs are looking great here. Jv

post-362-1217793716_thumb.jpg

From Auckland, New Zealand...

post-636-1217797898_thumb.jpg

post-636-1217797964_thumb.jpg

post-636-1217798038_thumb.jpg

Michael,

I think the last photo is a great one to show the difference in canopy between a dacty and canary.

The canopy on a CIDP can be very very thick. However, I have seen Strelizias growing very nicely inder a CIDP

so it is possible to grow plants under them.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Funny thing is Chris, that aint no Dacty. Its a sickly CIDP. It was so completely covered in Ivy that the leaves could hardly break through. This photo was taken just after it was cleaned up making a very strange looking palm. It confuses many.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Island Hvar,Croatia

143-4310_IMG.jpg

Island Lopud,Croatia

Mvc-278f.jpg

• Upvote 1

Temperature 2008 High:89.2 °F / 31.8 °C Low:24.6 °F / -4.1 °C Average:50.9 °F / 10.5 °C

Temperature in 2000-2008 High:100.6 °F / 38.1 °C Low:19.8 °F / -6.8 °C Average:54.0 °F / 12.2 °C

Zone 9?? that would be awsome!!! but i think 8b.

Dear Kris

From Argentina for you, some Phoenix canariensis

Growing savages in the field – NE of Argentina

post-1464-1217898617_thumb.jpg

CIDP growing on Tipuana tipu, in Buenos Aires city. Argentina

post-1464-1217898650_thumb.jpg

In my property. 4 years in the soil, made from seed

post-1464-1217898743_thumb.jpg

Resistencia city, where I live

post-1464-1217898809_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1217898973_thumb.jpg

A friend sends me this pix for you. CIDP and Tabebuia impetiginosa (Lapacho Rosado) A native tree of our area

post-1464-1217898890_thumb.jpg

Regards

Enjoy "Palma Canaria"

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

This is a wonderful shot of Bahia Gardens... (photo taken by Doron Nissim). The CIDPs are looking great here. Jv

Hi JV !!

Please tell me :

Where is located Bay Gardens. What building is in the image and who design the garden

Thank you and greetings

Visit my site

And comment me

Is your 4 year old from seed, average size for a 4 year old?? I'm growing 33 from seed right now I might need more room!!

In my property. 4 years in the soil, made from seed

post-1464-1217898743_thumb.jpg

Regards

Enjoy "Palma Canaria"

Is your 4 year old from seed, average size for a 4 year old?? I'm growing 33 from seed right now I might need more room!!

No. You didn't understand my message. The palm this in the soil 4 years ago, I made it of seed and it grow in pot two years before transplanting it to the soil.

The trunk diameter is 2 feet approximately

Greetings

Visit my site

And comment me

• 3 weeks later...
I have a request for the people in Southern France. As you probably know, the very first Phoenix canariensis established outdoors out of the Canaries were planted in Hyeres in the 1860's... in 1863 if I am not wrong. Some 10 years later, the "new palm" from the Canary Islands was a hit shocking the nursery trade and the landscapes of Southern France... it was much faster than Jubaea, hardier than P.dactylifera, greener than anything else. It became the tool to tropicalise the landscapes of the riviera while the newborne tourist industry was flourishing.

Back to my point... Are those first P.canariensis still alive in Hyeres? How tall are they? and of course... can we see them in pictures?

Carlo, Tenerife

Hello Carlo,

I had in mind that Vigier was the first to introduce this palm in Nice, I think 1863 is corect. I have seen thoses original palms in may 2003 during the annual meeting of "fous de palmiers' French chapter of the IPS. I don't have any pictures sorry, I just remember that the palms are not that tall compare to the old palms you can see in the Canary.

Then after the first plants in Nice began to set fruits in huge quantity, the nursery trade developped in Hyères.

MANU

Manu, France Z8A

Kris, thanks for this topic.

In this topic, there are more Phoenix Canariensis (PC, please¡).

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12009

In this Post there more pics of "paquesito¨s Palm:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=231530

Regards

Datos del aeropuerto de Gando. Vivo a 1 Km

60030.gif

Visita el blog: PALMETUM DE MASPALOMAS

Hi guys

Below a pic on a cold winters day in Queenstown, South Africa. I posted this pic in 2005 on the old old board.

In the middle is a Jub and CIDP all around!

Cheers

Dennis

A classic photo, thanks for the re run Dennis.

post-35-1205910954.jpg

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more pics for Kris.... these are from Los Angeles.

Jv

post-362-1220228949_thumb.jpg

post-362-1220228989_thumb.jpg

post-362-1220229016_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Adding a few CIDP's to the collection, from another part of Europe, South-West France.

On the coast at Hendaye.

GBPIX_photo_22493.jpg

Inside the hilly country at Cambo-les-Bains in spring, after a colder than usual winter.

GBPIX_photo_22531.jpg

GBPIX_photo_22520.jpg

And at last at my home.

GBPIX_photo_969.jpg

On South facing hill. Elevation 220m/720 feet. Lat 43°N.

Average Temp: Jan 3°C/11°C 38°F/52°F Jul 15°C/26°C 59°F/79°F

Min/max Temp 24 years period: -8°C/40°C 17.6°F/104°F

Heat Zone 3. Rainfall 1130 mm/44,5". No dry season. Sunshine 1950 hours.

Kris,

Here are 2 pixes taken in Japan, at the Osaka Universal Studios.

If they had cut off more of the lower leaves, the crown would've looked like a pineapple sitting on a pole.

post-805-1220277993_thumb.jpg

This is a close-up of a crown overgrown with ferns.

post-805-1220278034_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Dear Friends :)

thanks for the lovely feast,and i am truely enjoying each and every still...And in few threads i have said that i had a hobby when i was a teenager,to collect phoenix stills(perticularly CIDP'S) and Rolex Watches(perticularly the oyester perpetictual day-date full gold model).

And i used to cut these beautiful images usually from Time,newsweek,life,readers digest...most of them had worn-out or were destroyed by termite attack.but recently i did find few cutting & mag's which i had purschased only because it did have one or two stills of the CIDP..

And don't laugh at me...iam just trying to be honest :mrlooney:

Here are those few stills that i mentioned :

post-108-1220282399_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220282463_thumb.jpg

And i used to see Beverly hills cop movies often just because the L.A PD buliding is fully lined up with these beautiful palms.. :rolleyes:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Interesting shots Kris... and don't worry we all had 'things' we dreamed about and often to the point of cutting out pictures... for me it was scenes of California beaches and fast cars. Now a days, I neither live in California nor drive a fast car... go figure but I still do love the CIPDs, just like I did when I was younger! Jv

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha........just joined this excellent site! He is a picture of my CIDP going into my new spec home in California. I planted it back in July from a professional Palm company. I dug a pit 8' x 8' x 8' with the air tubes and covered it with sand. I am now noticing the older leaves turning brown drying out. It is slowing affecting the tips of the newer leaves. I used some all purpose palm fertilizer from Home Depot a month ago. I know the tree is alive cause I am getting newer leaves growing at the top. I water about 10 minutes from a garden hose every 3 days. I would appreciate any tips from you "pros" in keeping my new tree healthy. Mahalo and thanks for your information!

Palm_1.pdf

Palm_2.pdf

Edited by wokandroll
  • Upvote 1