Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill Palm in Z7a Barrier Island New Jersey


Nj Palms

Recommended Posts

Im sure you all can spot the Trachy in the corner of the building to the left. This is in Harvey Cedars on Long Beach Island New Jersey. Dont know when the photo was taken but I am only 25 minutes  away so i may take a ride to go see it.  This is a 7a/7b zone.  Maybe an 8a microclimate as its protected from north and west winds. Link to website. http://www.harveycedars.org/Harvey Cedars

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice find but not too unusual to find a small recently planted Trachy in 7a.  The large ones are hard to find because people don't protect them and they eventually die.  That one will most likely die if not protected.  It is planted in a good spot between two walls and a rock thing.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Nice find but not too unusual to find a small recently planted Trachy in 7a.  The large ones are hard to find because people don't protect them and they eventually die.  That one will most likely die if not protected.  It is planted in a good spot between two walls and a rock thing.

I hope to go take a ride and see it soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nj Palms said:

I hope to go take a ride and see it soon.

I just looked up the zone and it's 7b not 7a as I thought so it probably has better chances in that spot except for multiple cold day vortex years.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

I just looked up the zone and it's 7b not 7a as I thought so it probably has better chances in that spot except for multiple cold day vortex years.

I will check some temp records. The protection from the winds is big. Should have a long life as long as it’s not abused.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

I will check some temp records. The protection from the winds is big. Should have a long life as long as it’s not abused.

I just went to my goto temp year Jan 2018 and it had multiple days of trachy killing cold in that zipcode.  Jan 1 (6F), Jan 2 (10F), Jan 3 (4F),  Jan 6 (7F), Jan 7 (0F).  Highs most of those days well below freezing.  I would say the palm pictured as located would have died in 2018 unprotected.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The latest street view of this on Google Maps is 2015.  It wasn't there at that time apparently.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7048356,-74.1350775,3a,39.3y,292.91h,86.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVyXrcVFQY03qbaWlJD3ENA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Allen said:

I just went to my goto temp year Jan 2018 and it had multiple days of trachy killing cold in that zipcode.  Jan 1 (6F), Jan 2 (10F), Jan 3 (4F),  Jan 6 (7F), Jan 7 (0F).  Highs most of those days well below freezing.  I would say the palm pictured as located would have died in 2018 unprotected.  

That winter was very bad. I check the wunderground stations in the area I will do some more research.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

That winter was very bad. I check the wunderground stations in the area I will do some more research.

I just checked 2014 and Jan had a ton of cold events there.  One -2F.   They seem to have worse temps than my 7a in TN when looking back.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Allen said:

I just checked 2014 and Jan had a ton of cold events there.  One -2F.   They seem to have worse temps than my 7a in TN when looking back.

What website are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

What website are you using?

This is Jan 2014. This is from the Nj state climatologist certified weather station. It is exposed to all elements and in an open area. A lot of people use the weather channel for temps but it is not as accurate than the actual station.

here is the link: https://www.njweather.org/station/316

1E620CE0-E7FD-4313-B2C2-9C62AC008D79.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

This is Jan 2014. This is from the Nj state climatologist certified weather station. It is exposed to all elements and in an open area. A lot of people use the weather channel for temps but it is not as accurate than the actual station.

here is the link: https://www.njweather.org/station/316

1E620CE0-E7FD-4313-B2C2-9C62AC008D79.png

I used weather underground and for historical data I think it switched me to another nearby station without me noticing.  But anyway the temps above would still probably kill the palm pictured in the location it's in.  So I think it would have to be protected at least every few years at best.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allen said:

I used weather underground and for historical data I think it switched me to another nearby station without me noticing.  But anyway the temps above would still probably kill the palm pictured in the location it's in.  So I think it would have to be protected at least every few years at best.

Yes I agree. Hopefully the microclimate will help it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...