IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainy season

ruskinPalms

This is one of my favorite things about the Florida summers here. The evening sea breeze storms :D

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Still no rain here this week. The sea breeze has managed to keep all the thunderstorms further East. 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

21 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Still no rain here this week. The sea breeze has managed to keep all the thunderstorms further East. 

So far, just a light rain the other day.  Just enough to wet the grass and the top of the ground.  Thought we were going to get rain today with the dark clouds in the sky, but didn't get anything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

We had a very good downpour, 3" of rain in 30 minutes, strong winds and small hail! A bit more excitement than I expected. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

And so often the sea breeze keeps the storms pushed inland...

2B5A4E96-E728-447D-BED2-6C8B608F9C09.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

The rainy season started great here in St Pete but fizzed out the last several days.  Not a good pattern to be in here on the west coast but that will change as it always has. But I did get .07" of rain today, just enough to make it brutally humid afterwards!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@ruskinPalms

Awesome cumulonimbus shot!

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I would love to be dry in the winter and wet in the summer...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Lots of tropical rain showers the past few days. I guess maybe associated with tropical storm cristobal?

D66D34E6-2A01-402C-A49E-851AE4C43B6B.jpeg

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Five year old son checking things out once it slacked off a little. 

B1F8AE35-7861-4B06-906B-82D26CA1EFF5.jpeg

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Getting another downpour over here.  Been going at it off and on the last couple of days.  We've really needed it.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

5’’ of rain in the past 3 days and it’s still coming down hard. :D

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Starting to build my ark :D

noah-evan-4.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 2:26 AM, mdsonofthesouth said:

I would love to be dry in the winter and wet in the summer...

The opposite would be Mediterranean!

Edited by AnTonY

14 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

5’’ of rain in the past 3 days and it’s still coming down hard. :D

I can't imagine getting 5" of rain in the space of 3 days! That's crazy. In fact that is nearly as much rainfall as I have had all year, since 1st January. :bemused:

It has been pretty darn wet here the past 3-4 days, but I have only recorded 0.3 inches of rain during that time. I guess that is the difference between tropical and temperate rainfalls, and climates in general...

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

3 hours ago, AnTonY said:

The opposite would be Mediterranean!

I'm humid subtropic and we are wet in the winter and have dry times in the summer with major downpours every so often.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I'm humid subtropic and we are wet in the winter and have dry times in the summer with major downpours every so often.

I understand. I don't like that wet winter pattern often seen in the interior South. Gray skies, mucky ground, dormant vegetation just don't make a good sight.

The Northern Gulf Coast is also wet during winter, but also wet in summer. Especially from Louisiana easy to FL Panhandle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AnTonY said:

I understand. I don't like that wet winter pattern often seen in the interior South. Gray skies, mucky ground, dormant vegetation just don't make a good sight.

The Northern Gulf Coast is also wet during winter, but also wet in summer. Especially from Louisiana easy to FL Panhandle.

Yeah we get a decent amount of thunder showers during the summer but we also get some rain free periods while still retaining really high humidity. We average around 40 to 45in of rain a year in line with most of the Atlantic coastal south. Granted a hurricane or tropical storm can change that and we are always good for at least the latter.

Nice sea breeze storm tonight. Please don’t mind my kids’ pool and rainbow sprinkler lol. 

56C7987B-58C3-4B62-B3F0-D39DCA91A878.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Only an outflow boundary tonight. Still enjoyed the cool breeze. 

E994E6B2-C5E2-47D9-B3D0-00240A536B7A.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

51 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

Only an outflow boundary tonight. Still enjoyed the cool breeze.

We got the brief 20 minute storm where the raindrops look like nickels falling from the sky today.  Enough to water a few potted palms without drowning them.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

Always love them outflow boundaries! It gives the cool breeze that makes you want to be outside without melting. The strongest outflow boundary i have ever been through was a little more than a cool breeze. Winds were at 30mph for about a minute then it slowly calmed down. This is also the strongest winds i have ever experienced, but being on the beach during Tropical Storm Cindy (2017) might have been stronger.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

We have had maybe .10"-.25" of rain in the past week at least at my location.  I am hoping today we get a real deluge, we need it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rainy season has been a bit of a bust so far. Looked promising yesterday but only got a little bit.

956E88A0-511F-43ED-8105-F865A2CFD798.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a heavy afternoon storm today. Still a little rain inland from here to make a rainbow in the evening. 

E9A696FB-551D-44F5-870E-22F1C4A94EA6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

We got a much needed long, soaking rain today.  Rain most of the afternoon and evening made it a comfortable day out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

In South Florida we had a few really wet days in JUNE. SInce then the rains have been sporadic. Until recently, very few actual sea breeze thunderstorms. Very odd for a summer here. What has fallen has been sporadic and the storms send out the outflow bounderies that stablize the atmosphere as opposed to igniting other storms like they usually do.

The forecast calls for more rain starting tomorrow through the period. I hope you guys in Central Florida can get in on it (if it actually materialized here). So far this rainy season the NWS has overestimated rain chances consistently and then scale them back last minute. Not sure what has been going on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

So far this rainy season the NWS has overestimated rain chances consistently and then scale them back last minute. Not sure what has been going on.

You're not kidding.  We start the day at 80%, by 11am it's 40%, by noon 20% - effectively a half life:D

Lakeland, FL

They've been scaling back rain projections as the day progresses almost every day here lately.

Today we're starting with a 10% chance. So it'll probably pour!

• Like 1

I noticed that in the past it was rare for them to forecast 70% or 80% rain chances on days 5, 6 and 7. Now they do so rather frequently only for them to be scaled back. I think they used to be more conservative considering models can flip and patterns change...so instead they would leave the "high" chances closer to 50% which if get scaled back to 40% wasn't a huge change. Now the changes are more noticeable. Perhaps they have lost a lot of senior staff. Regardless, I hope we can get more soaking thunderstorm rains.

The Dome of Drought has been blocking virtually all rain here on the Isabelle Canal for the past 4-6 weeks. Dawn to dark ferocious sunshine and temps in the mid- to high 90s parch everything in the yard. I'm hand watering to keep plants alive. Combined with the drought from earlier this spring, lack of water is causing some of my palms to drop flowers and abort seeds. We finally got 0.8" in three small rain clouds yesterday. Hallelujah but scarcely a drop in the proverbial bucket. We've had barely 1" so far in July after nothing the last half of June. So frustrating to watch rain clouds part like the Red Sea to go north or south on their way inland to drop their bounty. Just 3 months left in "rainy season" before the upcoming 7-month dry season arrives.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.