IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

indoor potted majesty palm dying within three weeks

amy m

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and gardening. My brother gave me two beautiful healthy majestic palms to plant inside the house - both were apparently grown in the shade. I repotted them in large 21" inch pots using organic soil and for drainage, about 3" of cubed non-absorbent packing materials. On of them is placed next to my sliding glass door (with good indirect light and the other, which is faring much better, is in a front room with much less light (shown in the small first photo) The one near the light (the next three photos) started dying immediately. I cannot tell if I am overwatering it (because I have yellowed leaves on the bottom) or underwatering it (because I also have browning tips). I purchased a watering gauge but it seems useless (it reads "moist" in bone dry soil and "dry" in moist  soil). I placed a palm fertilizer spike in each plant.

I am pretty certain I cannot save the dying plant and I expect the second one (in less light) may die eventually. But I would love to learn what I did wrong to to kill a perfectly healthy majestic palm in 3 weeks882030848_ScreenShot2020-05-16at11_45_32AM.png.18d82bf2087a3567def411a0b177839c.png1348747845_ScreenShot2020-05-16at11_56_32AM.png.a0a15f98c0199c7357d64fa40fd39cc4.png784760899_ScreenShot2020-05-19at3_39_44PM.png.a69413d72297d52acf91ac0313a54153.png157437022_ScreenShot2020-05-19at3_39_37PM.png.e281405c2bae2477eba775500b2ede6f.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 3.39.23 PM.png

Edited by amy m
photos attached incorrectly

Okay, here's my two cents. 

You can't hardly drown a R. rivularis, those things will just live in standing water.

Also, every year I put mine outside and they start getting full sun again the wussy winter leaves all wilt and give up.  The new spears push out deeper-green leaves that are more robust in the light.  But even on a Majestic, I'm super lucky to get a new spear every week or two.  Sometimes it takes them months to put out a whole new set of leaves.  

Lastly, while they adjust eventually to a repotting, they also complain about it.  Same with more sun, they also adjust to more room. 

I think you just might have a big combo of nuisance issues and your palm will eventually recover.  Give the leaves a spritz occasionally (when the sun isn't shining on the leaves, the droplets are like magnifying lenses) and don't worry unless the newest leaves start showing the same issues.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Thank you, Funkthulhu. I was fully expecting to hear that this tree (and it's owner) is a lost cause! I also did not know about the watering- I thought they really didn't like wet soil and so was erring on the side of less water. I will try your suggestions!

Strange as it may sound these palms love lots of water but can drown if the soil doesn't drain well.  As long as your soil drains well the roots can breathe and it can handle lots of water.  They need lots of light and aren't the best houseplants but will do well in the ground in South Florida if you decide to plant it in your yard.  With palms the outer leaves will die off eventually and it looks like this is happening with yours (perhaps a bit prematurely).  The newest leaves in the center should stay green and healthy and as Funkthulhu said you have problems when the newest leaves start dying.  Good luck with them!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Thanks, Fusca,

Do you think that a pot with no drainage hole but 3" inches of non absorbing substrate (the packing cubes) may just not be sufficient for drainage. Could root rot kill a palm this quickly? It went from dark green, thick healthy lush leaves to THIS in three weeks (really two). In terms of watering, how often would you guess it wants water and is best to water just a little at a time?

Majesty palms make terrible houseplants and shouldn't be sold as such. The good news for yours is that they are nearly touching the ceiling and should soon get their wish to move outdoors. Do their pots/containers have drain holes?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hi Palmatier meg, 

No drain holes- we out 3” of drainage in bottom of pots using cubed non- absorbent packing cubes. 

I've killed so many plants (palms and everything else) by using a pot with no drainage.  

I know it'll be a huge PITA, but get a different pot, with drainage.  Than you can water as much as it wants and not worry about drowning it out or causing root rot.  My Pygmy Date Palm has to be carted out the door every spring, but I still found a heave-gauge poly drip tray to put under it.  

Your new pot looks really cool.  If you don't have one, find a masonry bit and you should be able to pop a number of holes in the bottom.  Get a good rugged tray that you can see when the pot is in it, and if you over-water you can suck out excess with a turkey baster. 

(My entire menagerie has to live inside, because Nebraska sucks for palms 50% of the year)

Edited by Funkthulhu
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, amy m said:

Thanks, Fusca,

Do you think that a pot with no drainage hole but 3" inches of non absorbing substrate (the packing cubes) may just not be sufficient for drainage. Could root rot kill a palm this quickly? It went from dark green, thick healthy lush leaves to THIS in three weeks (really two). In terms of watering, how often would you guess it wants water and is best to water just a little at a time?

I'd follow Funkthulhu's advice and drill holes in the bottom of the existing pot and add some kind of drain pan or repot into a different container but the repot will likely add more stress.  It can take as much water as you can give it if it is in a fast-draining soil mix.  It looks like your mix could use more pumice or vermiculite (perlite is also good but it tends to "float" to the top and it is needed below).

Jon Sunder

For what I spent on the trees and the pots, it will be worth the hassle to drill holes and put the pots on heavy duty trays. 

Should I remove the trees and mix the soil with perlite or vernicular and then put them back in? I know it will stress them out one again but maybe they'll forgive me given the extra drainage and more airy soil...

Majesty palms do not like being in the house, period, end of sentence.

I live in the North (Zone 7/NJ), so mine has to get protected.  I pull it into a detached garage that I keep chilly but frost free in the Winter.  Yep! It prefers the cold, relative dark, and negligent watering, to being in the house! It would not have survived indoors, and before death it would have been inundated with spider mites! Indoors in the North?! My dam! coconut palm is easier!!! 

Edited by oasis371

I guess your mileage may vary. 

All the Ravenea rivularis I have ever owned have been cranky, but unkillable (except that one time with crown rot).  I live in Nebraska, Zone 5B  My winters are often -10F for weeks, my humidity is super low, and in summer we get 16+ hour days of hot direct sun.  The Majestics just keep trucking through all of it (as long as they're inside before they freeze).  Spider mites?  Just spritz with soapy water once a week, no problem. 

I had to eventually donate my largest when it wouldn't fit in the house, but that took half a decade.  Until then it was awesome to have a giant palm in my living room.  I have started another this year because they're so cheap and bullet-proof.  You can't over-water them, you can't over-sun them, and they look great even if the frond tips get brown in my high plains air.

On the other hand, despite repeated attempts, I've never even managed to sprout a coconut.  That would be awesome.

Edited by Funkthulhu

No drainage = root rot

I didn't germinate a coconut until about 5 years ago. I've lived in FL for 27 years.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Just take a drill and drill a couple holes on the side about 1-2 " up the pot.  But if you leave it inside you'll need a drip pan of some sort.  They sell the clear cheap ones at Lowes or you can get one on Amazon.  Better to get that palm outdoor in the shade.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

So the consensus seems to be to take them outside and call it a day. Although I will drill some holes first just to see if it gets any happier. I live in S. Florida so I can easily re-plant these outside. I just need to find a shady spot.

Are there any palms that actually are easy to grow indoors?

Thank you for all the replies!

Yes majesty palm are difficult to grow indoors.  I have had around 9 of them for 4 years now.  I keep them outside under a pergola and they love it.  Indoors in winter I put them in garage and they live but go downhill.  You can't overwater if it has drainage.  Indoors during winter I keep a drip pan under them and water whenever the drip pan goes dry (The roots go into it thru pot holes), and in summer they are in pots on drip irrigation every 1, 2 or 3 days depending on conditions.  

IMG_1035.JPG

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

12 hours ago, amy m said:

Are there any palms that actually are easy to grow indoors?

Thank you for all the replies!

Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans), kentia palm (Howea forsteriana) and lady palm (Rhapis excelsa) are probably the best choices of indoor palms that are not too difficult to find.  My house is not very bright but I grow Chamaedorea elegans and Howea forsteriana indoors and they do well even when I forget to water!  :bummed:

Jon Sunder

I would agree with the interior palm choices suggested above..., Chamaedorea (there are several species available), Howea fosteriana (Kentia palm), and Rhapis (Lady palm).  And as long as you have a relatively bright indoor location, Hyophorbes  (both Spindle and Bottle palms) do pretty well indoor and are relatively unbothered by drier interior air or attacks from spider mites. Surprisingly, I have a Pritchardia hillebrantii fan palm that is easy indoors, but never seen in the interior palm trade. 

Actually, Caryota mitis (Fishtail palm) is another one of my favorites for inside.