IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New hybrid babies

8B palms

Well my new hybrid babies curtesy of Patric(k) Schafer arrived today. 2 Yatay mules much larger than I was expecting but not going to complain, they are the back 2.  Then there is a Yatay x Jubaea on the left and a Butia x Lytocaryum hoehneix on the right, it will probably be the most frost tender of the group. I know many people have these hybrids in the ground now for several years. I would love to see pics of these so as to see what the future might hold for these guys. 

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

• Like 4

I got his BXHOEN now for a couple years not sure what to make of it....  are the strap leaves very stiff? I think I got one from his very first batch. I have the other three as well. Although none in the ground. :(

Here it is when I got it: 

B X L.h.JPG

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Hi RJ, yes the strap leaves are quite stiff.  I picked this hybrid as the frond leaflets are wider and wanted a heavier look hopefully, time will tell. It's going to go into a bigger pot and get planted next spring.  What do your hybrids look like currently. Does the BxLh grow fast? Thanks.

Here is my Patric jackpot B) 

Left to right ButiaxLytoWedd - (BxJ)xS - JxBY - BxPJT 

20200507_162028.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

T J 

BxPJT might have to be my next purchase, I wonder how cold hardy this will ultimately be, any thoughts?

They look awesome, everything comes so well, and solidly packaged, he does an excellent job. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RJ said:

I got his BXHOEN now for a couple years not sure what to make of it....  are the strap leaves very stiff? I think I got one from his very first batch. I have the other three as well. Although none in the ground. :(

Here it is when I got it: 

B X L.h.JPG

RJ, what does it look like now?
:)

1 hour ago, TonyDFW said:

Here is my yatay x jubea from Patric after 4 years in the ground in Dallas, TX zone 8b

5655E962-75BB-425B-B934-B23AAEDEA83A.jpeg

That's a looker

3 hours ago, 8B palms said:

BxPJT might have to be my next purchase, I wonder how cold hardy this will ultimately be, any thoughts?

I'd imagine that cross would be pretty solid for Gainesville. I'm guessing it will .develop a massive trunk.

8 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Here is my yatay x jubea from Patric after 4 years in the ground in Dallas, TX zone 8b

Dang Tony that is some serious growth. I'm guessing it laughed at our 2018 cold snap ? You sure know how to grow them!! 

9 hours ago, 8B palms said:

Honestly hardiness is a guess but hoping to get a bulletproof 9a palm once established B)

T J 

So Tony there is no other way to say but you Yatay x Jubaea is simply a stunningly gorgeous palm and was the reason I got mine.  I know there is a lot of variation, but I am hopeful.  That is some serious growth in such a short period of time do you amend your soil with anything or use a particular kind of fertilizer? What ever you are doing you have nailed it, just incredible, keep posting updates for us all to enjoy, your yard must be equally stunning.

Hi TJ,

That was quite the B x PJT you got from Patric, I see its already going almost completely pinnate, it also looks like it might be 3+ feet tall? I think this might be my next purchase, but like all other palm hoarders on here, its a case of finding somewhere to plant it, in already crowded space. I look forward to update pics for us all to enjoy. Trials and tribulations ultimately help us all out.

Hi Florian,

If mine can look like yours or Tony's i'll be well chuffed. How long have you had that in the ground and is it hardy enough to not need any winter protection? I would this hybrid would be hardy into the low teens (-9 or -10oC),whats the lowest temp it has endured? awesome palm,

Craig

On 5/10/2020 at 10:27 AM, 8B palms said:

So Tony there is no other way to say but you Yatay x Jubaea is simply a stunningly gorgeous palm and was the reason I got mine.

What @TonyDFW is doing in 8b is amazing I bet he could pull off a real Jubaea !!! 

@8B palms 3ft is a pretty good guess on the BxPJT I was pleasantly surprised myself. Definitely worth every penny B) I will definitely give updates even tho it won't be going in the ground anytime soon =/ 

T J 

On 5/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, 8B palms said:

Hi Florian,

If mine can look like yours or Tony's i'll be well chuffed. How long have you had that in the ground and is it hardy enough to not need any winter protection? I would this hybrid would be hardy into the low teens (-9 or -10oC),whats the lowest temp it has endured? awesome palm,

Craig

Hello Craig,
Brissago, and the spot of the palm in particular, is one the mildest places in Switzerland. The palm was planted in 2015 and I reckon it has not seen anything lower than -5C but I don't know for sure. I don't live in Brissago but I gave it to a friend who runs a nursery there and he planted it in a public place so everyone can enjoy it.

Here is a pic from 2015 from a similar perspective:

DSC_5628.thumb.jpeg.ea08b526d6179c418c7acd7db1119b9b.jpeg

Cheers,

Florian

• Like 1

damn, thats just stunning it really seems to lean more towards Jubaea, I hope mine will do the same, thanks for posting, keep us updated

3 hours ago, 8B palms said:

damn, thats just stunning it really seems to lean more towards Jubaea, I hope mine will do the same, thanks for posting, keep us updated

I agree the more jubaea like the better =) 

T J 

I think the yatay gives it that jubaea upright look. I've got both and they both have a similar look to them 

I think it would be awesome to make a Jubaea x Butia Strictor =) Really stiff upright fronds !!! 

T J 

Hi RJ,

What size us your Jubaea x Yatay, any pics? I was tempted to get this cross, I just worry the humidity might prove to much here in the south, I hope that is not the case, would love to see pics of this cross with some size? Anyone?

5 hours ago, 8B palms said:

Hi RJ,

What size us your Jubaea x Yatay, any pics? I was tempted to get this cross, I just worry the humidity might prove to much here in the south, I hope that is not the case, would love to see pics of this cross with some size? Anyone?

Craig, 

I recently moved my JxY into a 5g my YxJ is smaller, about a year behind It will move up this fall or next spring. Have more of both of them in smaller sizes. They start off pretty slow so don't be discouraged. Once they go pinnate I have found they speed up. I have a pictures of @Flow YxJ that I picked up on a different thread. I'll attach that at the bottom for reference. I took these just a few hours ago when it stopped raining. We had a pretty good soaking this afternoon. 

JxY and YxJ

JxY and YxJ.jpeg

JxY

JxY.jpeg

YxJ

YxJ.jpeg

Flow's YxJ (1)

Flow YxJ.jpg

Flow's YxJ (2)

Flows YxJ.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They look awesome, I know it's early days but at this stage they both look very similar, the Jubaea traits seem to dominate, which I personally prefer.  So the humidity hasn't been an issue for you? Do they live outside year round in the pots or do you bring them in? I would speculate these can cope easily with low teens once in the ground. Keep us updated on their progress. 

13 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

They look awesome, I know it's early days but at this stage they both look very similar, the Jubaea traits seem to dominate, which I personally prefer.  So the humidity hasn't been an issue for you? Do they live outside year round in the pots or do you bring them in? I would speculate these can cope easily with low teens once in the ground. Keep us updated on their progress. 

You can certainly tell the difference in person and up close.  Cold issue won't be an issue here for them, they were outside all winter except the two nights we had below 25. The low at my house (a rental which is why everything is in pots) was 23 this past winter. My property closer to lake didn't see below 25. 

No issues with humility for either palms. I will give you a word of warning though concerning both crosses, when they are small they DO NOT like overhead watering in the SE. At least in my experience. I learned that the hard way. :rant: The ones I purchased from Patric last year are still in the grow room under LED's until they are larger.  (pinnate) 

11 hours ago, RJ said:

No issues with humility for either palms. I will give you a word of warning though concerning both crosses, when they are small they DO NOT like overhead watering in the SE. At least in my experience.

Do you feel this is the case with all jubaea hybrids or butia hybrids most likely ? 

T J 

14 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Do you feel this is the case with all jubaea hybrids or butia hybrids most likely ? 

I'm a bit confused by your question. So to clarify.  In my experience I think both JxB and BxJ have overhead water problems when young in the SE.  The ones that you purchased I would keep from overhead water. I'm not overly familiar with your weather in Houston but my impressions is you have some pretty high humidity like we do.  I have not witnessed any overhead water issues with any another other hybrids with butia or Jubaea as the mother (JxS) or (BxS) etc.... :greenthumb:

@RJ I think you figured out my lingo haha. Since I have both jubaea and butia hybrids I was trying to figure out which of the parent hated it more or if it was neither liked it. I'm pretty sure my mule hates it and most likely they hate it more in the winter. Yes we're never less then 50% humidity and average about 80% year round. Only my BxPJT is getting overhead watering now so I'll move it =) Thanks for the heads up B)

T J 

I haven't had any issues with mules at all, nor BxPJx. But I lost a couple of each over the years and pretty much nailed it down to overhead water. Your BxPJT should be fine. Mine are outside in a thunderstorm right now. ;) I think it's the heavy Jubaea in the JxB and BxJ that are the culprit. So now when I order them they stay indoors till they get some size to them. Just my personal experience in the SE so far. Both the palms that I pictured above are outside as well. 

Just hoping to to save others from the loss of expensive palms! 

4 minutes ago, RJ said:

Just hoping to to save others from the loss of expensive palms! 

Well we all appreciate the info =) My pure Jubaea which is still very small in a pot seems to do just fine in full sun with whatever S.Houston weather throws at it. So I truly doubt humidity is a problem for them. One day we shall see how it does in the ground haha 

T J 

17 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Well we all appreciate the info =) My pure Jubaea which is still very small in a pot seems to do just fine in full sun with whatever S.Houston weather throws at it. So I truly doubt humidity is a problem for them. One day we shall see how it does in the ground haha 

They have them in the Dallas area, other then being warmer is your weather much different? 

The only thing I could think of was the Jubaea, but JxS doesn't seem to be an issue.... go figure. 

2 hours ago, RJ said:

They have them in the Dallas area, other then being warmer is your weather much different? 

The only thing I could think of was the Jubaea, but JxS doesn't seem to be an issue.... go figure. 

Yeah go figure , yeah not exactly sure how Dallas weather compares to here other then they get colder winters then us. We might be wetter and more humid maybe all just guesses. I do know @TonyDFW has some an excellentlly grown garden 

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Yeah go figure , yeah not exactly sure how Dallas weather compares to here other then they get colder winters then us. We might be wetter and more humid maybe all just guesses. I do know @TonyDFW has some an excellentlly grown garden 

Tony has Jubaea growing as well. There is a good sized Jubaea in Alabama. So I'm not sure what the reasons are. Lots of hypothesis out there but nothing definitive ....

On 5/9/2020 at 9:51 PM, TonyDFW said:

79825E7A-63A0-4B96-8BBC-0CACB588BFE1.jpeg

• Like 4

@TonyDFW When you gonna Invite us Texas PTers to see your garden. I am in awe everytime you share pics of it =) 

T J 

B. yatay just seems to make prettier mules. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

3 hours ago, buffy said:

B. yatay just seems to make prettier mules. 

I'm really hoping that is the case =) How long has Patric been making mules with yatay ? 

T J