IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Palm plantings - Oregon

Chester B

So I thought I would share a few of my plantings this year so far.  All of these were either grown from seed or 2 strap leaf seedlings.  I had some issues this winter with pests in the greenhouse attacking the Mule Palms, Sabal mexicana, Sabal palmetto and BxJ.  All other palms were left alone.  I treated as best I could and put them outside for nature to take care of them.  All of the affected palms no longer have any infestation but have some work to recover.

Sabal minor "McCurtain".  This one grows so slow, I planted 5 of them as I'm tired of waiting on them.

746525251_SabalMinorMcCurtain.thumb.jpg.c69ad4f5775ee10cdbb8f1e960fa337f.jpg

Sabal uresana - supposedly the more cold hardy form. Only one plant.

1298769318_SabalUresana.thumb.jpg.657d812ade8581cbbfda6cdd3d9e2319.jpg

Sabal causiarum - 3 in the ground this year with 2 more in pots I'm holding on to grow larger in pots just in case

1321540206_SabalCausiarum.thumb.jpg.20a06913dc37f7baff50e53b963d285e.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps - 2 in the ground

2003400634_TrachycarpusPrinceps.thumb.jpg.d8028b31504d70a3f7f2bbc5b1ebfa49.jpg

Trachycarpus latisectus - may be tender here so starting with one

1647335511_Trachycarpuslatisectus.thumb.jpg.132e2b0472248d28e10e287a6013d76f.jpg

• Like 6

Brahea armata - one plant - will most likely require some overhead protection from rain in the winter.  It's already starting pushing new growth.

1303139127_Braheaarmata.thumb.jpg.667e8096893c11bb01489dc8c25f187e.jpg

Livistona nitida - Most likely too tender for my location

2052392399_Livistonanitida.thumb.jpg.3c1eaba669d46b2a8e301fecc5934bac.jpg

Jubaea chilensis - Two in the ground and two more in pots.  This one has grown very quickly for me even at a small size.

609266813_Jubaeachilensis.thumb.jpg.d7bac87cc14c17e448f696439f164d44.jpg

Mule palm - One planted and one in a pot.  This was much larger but the insects caused a few fronds to break.  They were hidden at the base of the spear slowly working on the fronds.  It seems to have perked up and hopefully grows on well this summer.

1416680120_MulePalm.thumb.jpg.f4ba02d177a287bd3768520388890bea.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 7

One bigger palm left that I need to plant. Trachycarpus wagnerianus. 

F68704E9-AD1F-49D2-A0E6-13960655EEB1.jpeg

• Like 5

All look great. Have a productive summer.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

All look great. Have a productive summer.

Thanks I hope its going to be a hot one.  I have many of your Sabal lisa in the greenhouse growing up that will have a place in the landscape eventually.

1 hour ago, Trustandi said:

Can't wait to see them mature. 

Me too, if I live to see that day.  Some palms grow real slow here.

Looking great there.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Going to be watching those Sabal causiarum closely. I've got many in pots from the same source. :greenthumb:

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Going to be watching those Sabal causiarum closely. I've got many in pots from the same source. :greenthumb:

You’ll have to post some pics to compare. I have 2 left in pots I’m holding on to in case these ones don’t do well over winter. I might grow the potted ones up to a 10 gallon size and try if these ones fail. I can’t say I’ve really noticed any growth but we haven’t been into any real heat yet.  In the pots they started growing immediately unlike other slow sabals. 

51 minutes ago, Chester B said:

You’ll have to post some pics to compare. I have 2 left in pots I’m holding on to in case these ones don’t do well over winter. I might grow the potted ones up to a 10 gallon size and try if these ones fail. I can’t say I’ve really noticed any growth but we haven’t been into any real heat yet.  In the pots they started growing immediately unlike other slow sabals. 

Mine are pushing for sure. They’re in 4x10 liners. To be honest they seemed really leggy to me at first. Wasn’t sure if they were grown under shade cloth or what... I’ve got them in full sun right now, so it’ll be interesting to see how they like it. Our SC heat hasn’t really kicked in yet as our nights are still getting into the 50’s. Couple weeks and it’ll be on though. AC will have to come on :rant:

Yes they are pretty leggy. I hope the new fronds get a little thicker and compact. I know yours will probably grow many times faster than mine. Even if it’s hot we always get cool nights. It’s extremely rare to have a night over 70 here. Even if it’s 100 during the daywr will usually drop into the low 60s overnight. 

23 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Yes they are pretty leggy. I hope the new fronds get a little thicker and compact. I know yours will probably grow many times faster than mine. Even if it’s hot we always get cool nights. It’s extremely rare to have a night over 70 here. Even if it’s 100 during the daywr will usually drop into the low 60s overnight. 

We're in the mid to upper 80's during the day but the Bermuda high hasn't settled in off the coast to start pumping the humidity into the atmosphere yet.  Once that does our nigh time lows settle in @ the lower to mid 70's till fall. The palms really start pushing growth at that point, especially the heat lovers like Sabal's. Those warm nights really make the difference. I'll snap some pics of mine here shortly. I picked up two very neglected 15g Sabal causiarum's at a going out of business deal last year.  They are finally starting to come around and put out nice nice green growth.  Still not pretty though. 

Here's my future behemoths =) Sabals have to be the easiest seeds to germinate !!! 

20200504_172555.jpg

• Like 2

T J 

38 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Here's my future behemoths =) Sabals have to be the easiest seeds to germinate !!! 

20200504_172555.jpg

I like that pot setup!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

32 minutes ago, Allen said:

I like that pot setup!

Greenhousemegastore.com

T J 

As promised... 

1st round , little guys in the middle two rows. 

image.jpg

Second round: 

image.jpg

And finally two previously badly neglected rescued from a going out of business nursery. Now recovering slowly in 25’s 

image.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

They don't look that bad at all.

Hope you have a big property!

19 minutes ago, RJ said:

And finally two previously badly neglected rescued from a going out of business nursery. Now recovering slowly in 25’s 

Can't wait to see those blow up with growth once they get into the ground :drool:

• Like 1

T J 

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

They don't look that bad at all.

Hope you have a big property!

They're getting better, they sulked at me last year mostly. This year, they seem to be moving along better. 

I'm in a rental now, hence all the pots. Have almost 5 acres waiting for them if i can ever get a builder who doesn't want to turn me upside down for every last nickle in my pocket. :rant:

17 minutes ago, RJ said:

'm in a rental now, hence all the pots. Have almost 5 acres waiting for them if i can ever get a builder who doesn't want to turn me upside down for every last nickle in my pocket. :rant:

I really hope your situation gets better. Your palms deserve to stretch there legs haha 

• Like 1

T J