IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hedyscepe canterburyana

joe_OC

3 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

They look great !   :greenthumb:

Thanks.   Just such a Slow and Sun Fickle Palm.   Hope to see what it looks like in 10 yrs! 

i planted quite a few hedyscepe at my place some years back.the ones in heavy shade look like kermadec nikau but do set some seed and those in open so far flower but dont set seed for me

SANY0760.JPG

SANY0364.JPG

SANY0149.JPG

SANY7754.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Gary said:

i planted quite a few hedyscepe at my place some years back.the ones in heavy shade look like kermadec nikau but do set some seed and those in open so far flower but dont set seed for me

SANY0760.JPG

SANY0364.JPG

SANY0149.JPG

SANY7754.JPG

Interesting that you have them seeding in shade but not in the sun. Nice palms you have there.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Interesting that you have them seeding in shade but not in the sun. Nice palms you have there.

i planted 15 of them late 90s and was more open then but the archontophoenix,queens,washy, took over plus i have  quite a few treeferns as well plus native nikau all over the plant in my area

2 hours ago, Gary said:

i planted 15 of them late 90s and was more open then but the archontophoenix,queens,washy, took over plus i have  quite a few treeferns as well plus native nikau all over the plant in my area

Your place sounds beautiful Gary. Would love to see more pictures. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:01 PM, joe_OC said:

All of my palms are second generation California grown.   One of them is a descendent from Karel Havlicek's Hedyscepe.  I also have a Leppidorachis growing in the garden.  It opened three fronds last year and is looking to do the same this year.  Soil never gets dry for any of these palms.  

Joe, Have not heard that name in a while, Karel Havlicek.  HE lived a mile or so from me and was extremely generous with information, plants, and his time.  Most my broms are from him.  I have a Ficus Dammaropsis he gave me that is the pride of my Jardin.  A great guy.  

I'll get a picture of my Hedyscepe for this thread.  Mine took a hit last year with some type of bug.  I caught it in time and is now moving along nicely.  Not as green and vibrant as it was BUT I feel this summer will see a correction in that.   It  now has 4' of trunk and is 8' to 10' overall.  It was a Blue Bell palm a number of years back.

JW

• Like 1

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, Billeb said:

7E8FC5C8-9902-4D38-88EA-F1C584D5771F.thumb.jpeg.9d3641e7af3699743612e76915443294.jpeg7C065788-F4F2-4144-899F-85DE11C27C1C.thumb.jpeg.2f03c33ecf8d68806c6165464eba9ffb.jpeg

Here’s an updated picture of my Hedyscepe aquired in March ‘21. It was finally grounded sometime last spring and has appreciated it. Looks like the base has definitely fattened up and taking on that coveted Hedyscepe look all of us love albeit small still. 

B6D919AF-0BC5-4600-9AE2-E7A75863C81F.thumb.jpeg.b995be19d8446c554224b85d994ddf56.jpeg

I planted another one in my front yard. This one was a small 1G and is it a bit more sun. Doesn’t seem to mind actually. Both these are growing right thru our “winter” here in SoCal and just pushed new fronds. 

5394944B-D2F7-42A8-9A16-3F03490A6097.thumb.jpeg.bc2ca6f7a95b2a658092621a18a2a4c9.jpeg

-dale 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Wow Dale, your small 1g looks bigger than my 5g Hedy. Mine is the tiniest little thing and I'm still trying to acclimate it. Joe mentioned that it had always been kind of a dud but I went for it anyway cause I love Hedyscepe so much. Unfortunately it hasn't really budged since I bought it while the rest of my potted squad are like rockets already even as small 5 gallons. I may have to see if I can acquire a bigger one cause at this rate I won't have much to be excited about anytime soon. Yours on the other hand are looking great. 

4 hours ago, Billy said:

Wow Dale, your small 1g looks bigger than my 5g Hedy. Mine is the tiniest little thing and I'm still trying to acclimate it. Joe mentioned that it had always been kind of a dud but I went for it anyway cause I love Hedyscepe so much. Unfortunately it hasn't really budged since I bought it while the rest of my potted squad are like rockets already even as small 5 gallons. I may have to see if I can acquire a bigger one cause at this rate I won't have much to be excited about anytime soon. Yours on the other hand are looking great. 

Thanks dude. It’s one of my favorite type of tree. Hard to beat a well grown Hedyscepe. 

FYI: I’ve killed not 1 but 2, 1G Hedyscepe’s. The ones you see are #3 & 4. I think they need to be bigger as you mentioned. Don’t give up. 

-dale 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Billeb said:

Thanks dude. It’s one of my favorite type of tree. Hard to beat a well grown Hedyscepe. 

FYI: I’ve killed not 1 but 2, 1G Hedyscepe’s. The ones you see are #3 & 4. I think they need to be bigger as you mentioned. Don’t give up. 

-dale 

I’d say you’re in Hedyscepe Heaven down there in HB!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So @richnormhow about an update!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

8 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

So @richnormhow about an update!

I think that removing the infructescences helps.  No lack of rain this summer , in fact we had 30cm (12 inches) yesterday alone!  A landslide has relocated a Jubaea by about 10 metres but it's still upright so might make it!  Another bank containing some of my best NewCals is bulging and more heavy rain id forecast. Fun and games.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, richnorm said:

I think that removing the infructescences helps.  No lack of rain this summer , in fact we had 30cm (12 inches) yesterday alone!  A landslide has relocated a Jubaea by about 10 metres but it's still upright so might make it!  Another bank containing some of my best NewCals is bulging and more heavy rain id forecast. Fun and games.

Holy cow! I hope you’re safe!

10 hours ago, richnorm said:

Looks like it might be slightly drier next week in Auckland. Looks like lots of damaged has occurred across that area. Hopefully you're palms don't get root rot from all the excessive rainfall.

My Hedyscepe here is growing good, getting bigger and better with every new spear opening.   Hoping we don't get any root rot with all this rain. My Kentias would probably be the first to go.

1.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, richnorm said:

I hope things dry out and calm down weather wise for you over there. Hopefully your New Cal bank holds up. No one saw that amount of rain coming. Just before it hit the computer models were saying 130mm of rain over 10 days. Something went wrong there. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

I hope things dry out and calm down weather wise for you over there. Hopefully your New Cal bank holds up. No one saw that amount of rain coming. Just before it hit the computer models were saying 130mm of rain over 10 days. Something went wrong there. 

Yeah, it was a shock. We get heavy downpours a lot but this just kept going and going.  NewCal bank has sunk a little more and a couple of Chambeyronis are on an angle but hopefully it will hold. I filled in the cracks to reduce water getting in.   I'm thining of relocating the lepidotas but not until movement stops for a few days.  The other slip is massive and I'm really not quite sure where to start with a mess this big!  There are cracks above along a wide front next to the slip and soil below is buckling so staying well away for now as i feel there is a lot more to come down! 

IMG_3246.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

This is one of the most beautiful palms in the world, which I know I will never be able to grow in Florida!

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

22 hours ago, richnorm said:

Yeah, it was a shock. We get heavy downpours a lot but this just kept going and going.  NewCal bank has sunk a little more and a couple of Chambeyronis are on an angle but hopefully it will hold. I filled in the cracks to reduce water getting in.   I'm thining of relocating the lepidotas but not until movement stops for a few days.  The other slip is massive and I'm really not quite sure where to start with a mess this big!  There are cracks above along a wide front next to the slip and soil below is buckling so staying well away for now as i feel there is a lot more to come down! 

IMG_3246.JPG

Yeah, that is a big bit of erosion there. It gives a good indication of the soil profile. I’d be staying away from it until some drying weather comes through. I imagine there would be many places around Auckland and in the national parks much like this at the moment. I’m hoping some walk trails are open when we head over soon. It would be a pity if they’re all closed due to land slips. 

Here’s mine. Potted in May 2020, I think that’s a 7g pot. In the ground a week or so later. And yesterday, about 2.5 years later. One of my first plantings. Gets a decent amount of sun, mostly filtered in the afternoon. The dry winter sun seems to be the worst for it. Puts out about 2 fronds per year. 4C3CB841-C747-445E-BCC4-1002727F149F.thumb.jpeg.144a66a96d706670d41c84b622ef55b4.jpegDB893AF9-A512-44A1-A9F1-46426648B9E1.thumb.jpeg.d4fb799b10b46259b3fae2d9c6c57547.jpeg3351CBC0-736E-49A5-A2E7-70A66FB235D3.thumb.jpeg.dec709e0ab939a8d9d7cfecc2000fae8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Here’s mine (bottom left of shot). Starting to show its mature characteristics (recurved fronds, white crownshaft) which is nice. One of my favourites. 

AB4CBB52-5B72-43C8-9BDD-8803B7996FD8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Heres another one I have in the garden, on the left side. Been in ground for three years. 

And another one in a 35 liter pot. I'll probably chuck it in 50 liter pot soon and keep it growing in there. 

7.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

• 1 year later...
On 1/25/2023 at 8:15 PM, Billeb said:

B6D919AF-0BC5-4600-9AE2-E7A75863C81F.thumb.jpeg.b995be19d8446c554224b85d994ddf56.jpeg

5394944B-D2F7-42A8-9A16-3F03490A6097.thumb.jpeg.bc2ca6f7a95b2a658092621a18a2a4c9.jpeg

-dale 

Well…..it’s been over a year since my last update. Both are still alive and growing well, albeit slow. The larger of the two gets more shade so you can definitely see how stretched it looks compared to its smaller, more exposed and compact looking sibling. I prefer the look of the one getting more sun. 

lets see the updates! @joe_OC @Jim in Los Altos @Dusty CBAD @Tyrone @tim_brissy_13 @PalmCode

-dale 

IMG_0468.thumb.jpeg.dbb33b6c60879b400f493d6fd4d3594c.jpegIMG_0469.thumb.jpeg.ade35ccbdfcf737d44a7ef896d4965cb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

IMG_2457.jpeg

IMG_2458.jpeg

IMG_2459.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2461.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

IMG_2463.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2466.jpeg

IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

IMG_2470.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I love this species. I didn’t lose one in the 45C day we had last month, but none are in full sun, they are all carefully placed and protected in a heatwave if necessary. 

IMG_2471.jpeg

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2473.jpeg

IMG_2474.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Growth speed has picked up substantially since some adult trunk has formed. This palm gets some summer sun and will easily burn if it’s unusually hot but overall is doing well here. 

IMG_6650.thumb.jpeg.db801eac0801ec8587efc50630c62c59.jpeg

IMG_6654.thumb.jpeg.7f8f4af48047041e1e49ac378ca830b1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

Mine are growing at a good steady speed and seem healthy.

a20240310_154000.jpg

a20240310_154539.jpg

a20240311_120622[1].jpg

a20240310_155644.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

Got a few Hedyscepe seeds to sprout. So nice even as one-leaf seedlings!

IMG_0611.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

The race between our Hedyscepe and Rhopalostylis continues! (Those who said the Rhopie would win hands down have been right so far). Both have strong spikes which we hope will open soon.

IMG_8544.JPG

IMG_8545.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

On 3/11/2024 at 12:35 PM, PalmCode said:

Mine are growing at a good steady speed and seem healthy.

a20240310_155644.jpg

Love that droopy one, not seen that before.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here are a couple pics of mine. Probably would like to get a bit more sun, it gets filtered sun here and there throughout the year. It's slowly fattening up. I think it will begin to speed up a bit in the next couple years. Really love how the shape of the ends of the fronds are more rounded and blunt than arrow and pointy. 

IMG_4727.thumb.jpeg.80f541ccfaf03ba4eff96601c2d7b73a.jpeg

IMG_4726.thumb.jpeg.10e9b405966091eaeac0a5dfe019a219.jpeg

IMG_4729.thumb.jpeg.2f7bc3dd5f0ad019d81769ff7d05e99f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 3/11/2024 at 8:38 AM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Growth speed has picked up substantially since some adult trunk has formed. This palm gets some summer sun and will easily burn if it’s unusually hot but overall is doing well here. 

IMG_6650.thumb.jpeg.db801eac0801ec8587efc50630c62c59.jpeg

IMG_6654.thumb.jpeg.7f8f4af48047041e1e49ac378ca830b1.jpeg

That's a beauty Jim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 3/11/2024 at 8:56 AM, Darold Petty said:

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

That one out front is growing rapidly Darold it was way smaller on my last visit 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Here's the four year updates of mine.

First 2 pictures are the single, and final 2 pictures are of the double.

hedy1.jpg

hedy2.jpg

hedydouble1.jpg

hedydouble2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Here is my largest Hedyscepe canturburyana.

Germinated from seed in 2010

20240318_083254.jpg

20240318_083305.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate