IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Palms in Texas

Collectorpalms

Hello, in a previous post I mentioned that I was told Lowes in Texas would be bringing in Mule palms according to a nursery manager friend from Acosta. I haven't been to Lowes this week but I went to Acosta website. I found in the picture gallery 7 gallon mules. That seems right, too bad I was hoping they might have 25 gallons, lol 

I have seen very large ones in Houston private nurseries, but too much too $$ to truck load 90 miles each way. When they grow so fast anyhow.image.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Curious how much they will charge for them. Maas nursery had a huge shipment last year of 5gal palms for a crazy good price. They still have rather large ones now but want a pretty penny like 600$ for a 35gal. Also moon nurseries has specimen sized ones for sale but I don't even want to know how much they charge for them. 

T J 

There’s a place in Katy that sells them with around 6 feet of trunk for around $1,300. More than I’m willing to spend. 

There’s seedlings for sale in the for sale section. You might also get in contact with North Texas Cold Hardy Palms, they may have some and their prices on common palms are generally wholesale level.

Edited by Meangreen94z

Generally I am all for supporting small business. However the big box stores should be selling palms that grow here. Not pygmys and fox tails etc... Which I did see. I'd like to see mules in every palm lovers or everyday plant buyer front yard in zone 8b in the south. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

9 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Generally I am all for supporting small business. However the big box stores should be selling palms that grow here. Not pygmys and fox tails etc... Which I did see. I'd like to see mules in every palm lovers or everyday plant buyer front yard in zone 8b in the south. 

I absolutely agree with you, the fact big box stores sell palms that almost have no chance of long term survival in the area is just unfortunate. Mules would be a perfect palm for our climate and much better looking then a regular queen. Dont get me wrong I do have some of these bb store palms but I know how to utilize them =) 

T J 

9 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Why do that when they can sell you palms again next year? I’m sure some of it’s intentional.  But also beneficial to those that might be able to make them work(those on the immediate coast, time to protect, etc.)

Texas Cold Hardy Palms has a much better selection for your area anyway. They can ship, or decent sized orders personally delivery for a negligible charge. I browse Home Depot/Lowe’s when I get fertilizer/soil. I’ve bought cactus and agave, but I don’t think I’ve ever bought palms. Other than a few $3-4 December Clearance Queens/pygmies I plugged into my old house before I sold it.

Edited by Meangreen94z

I am looking to replace  5 of 6 20 year old queens that died in 2017. The forecast was for 17f but we hit 14.5 and I lost huge ones except 1 that was a seedling if the 80s (silver queen from rio grand valley) and I have syagrus litoralis (sp) I have  5+ mules, one is about 20 feet tall now. They came from different sources and don't have uniform growth, I have a couple other rare hybrids that survived fine.

I want a jub x syagrus anyone???

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Saw a Lowe’s with two 7 gallon Mules. They were $89 and quite stretched. Not great looking.

Though they had one surprise! Something that was sold as trachycarpus fortunia, but they were not...!

Edited by Collectorpalms

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 9:10 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Saw a Lowe’s with two 7 gallon Mules. They were $89 and quite stretched. Not great looking.

Though they had one surprise! Something that was sold as trachycarpus fortunia, but they were not...!

Just found the same deal at Lowe's here in SA:

@ErikSJI

IMG_20200424_150934.jpg

IMG_20200424_150941.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

I’d grab it in a heartbeat! You guys in the southern US don’t know how good of a selection you have! Especially when you get them at big box stores :yay:

7 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Tempted!  Sold!   At that price....:yay:

I agree and I really dont need another one haha 

T J 

On 3/6/2020 at 11:45 PM, Collectorpalms said:

On 3/7/2020 at 9:10 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I absolutely agree with you, the fact big box stores sell palms that almost have no chance of long term survival in the area is just unfortunate. Mules would be a perfect palm for our climate and much better looking then a regular queen. Dont get me wrong I do have some of these bb store palms but I know how to utilize them =) 

On 3/7/2020 at 9:48 AM, Meangreen94z said:

Why do that when they can sell you palms again next year? I’m sure some of it’s intentional.  But also beneficial to those that might be able to make them work(those on the immediate coast, time to protect, etc.)

The worst offenders for hardiness in those box stores are those so called "tru-green laurels." What they don't tell you is that they are actually ficus trees, and won't last a day with a temperature under 30F.

Edited by AnTonY

The Windmills are Wagners!7647DC94-B8C9-4574-838E-21D913EBAA12.jpeg.34bbc82734dba33aba535300f1c80e47.jpeg

83B01EC8-E5EA-4708-B1D9-A035B1C9A0EE.jpeg

• Like 2

HELL YEAH. Thank you for posting... That's our babies.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/6/2020 at 6:17 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Hello, in a previous post I mentioned that I was told Lowes in Texas would be bringing in Mule palms according to a nursery manager friend from Acosta. I haven't been to Lowes this week but I went to Acosta website. I found in the picture gallery 7 gallon mules. That seems right, too bad I was hoping they might have 25 gallons, lol 

I have seen very large ones in Houston private nurseries, but too much too $$ to truck load 90 miles each way. When they grow so fast anyhow.image.jpeg

Budda palms in San Antonio sells numerous Mule palms from small to large . They're on the pricey side from several hundred to several thousand but worth the investment since they're cold hardy in our region 8b/9a . That gentleman said about 70 to 75 percent of them survived palmaggedon in 2021. He recommended wrapping when it gets down to 20 degrees and below . Add Christmas lights and you don't have to worry when it gets that cold again . We'll buy one Mule next year and plant in the front yard .  Yes I'd like to see more of them over here as well.