IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dig out chambeyronia macrocarpa

Big50

I would like to know if someone has removed and adult chambeyronia from the ground before, I have worked with small seedlings moving then from the ground to pots and even pruned the roots and they have grown without any problem but I am not sure with big ones.

I planted two 5-gallon at my neighbors house and about a year-and-a-half later I dug them both back up because they were moving and the real estate person was going to cut them down one survived and one did not the one that survived is about 6 ft overall and still in its 15 gallon container 3 years later do your best to get the biggest root ball possible and maybe cauterizing the roots that get cut do you have any pictures that would help thanks and good luck

• Like 1

This is and adult plant, its around 4 meters height to the top of the crownshaft...

The idea is to remove it from there to place it into a pot with good soil until it is completely recovered but I am not sure how a plant like this could react, everything has to be done manually and as in any of these cases the roots will always suffer a lot.

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

• Like 3

@Big50, I've been advised that it's possible to move large Chambeyroneas if you use what's called an "anti-dessicant" on the foliage. This is applied in a spray and meant to stop or at least slow the loss of moisture through the leaves to give the plant time to re-root and grow before it dries out.

I've found that to be a big problem with Chambeyroneas, even small ones; they grow so slowly they die rather than rerooting. I've never tried the chemicals, though.

I might, one of these days. Anyone out there with some experiences?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Im curious, in which part of portugal are you growing this palm¿

the back landscape remember me to north portugal or maybe north madeira coast

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big50 said:

This is and adult plant, its around 4 meters height to the top of the crownshaft...

The idea is to remove it from there to place it into a pot with good soil until it is completely recovered but I am not sure how a plant like this could react, everything has to be done manually and as in any of these cases the roots will always suffer a lot.

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

Just curious about the total height of the palm rather than just up to its crownshaft. Nice flamethrower! 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

15 hours ago, Big50 said:

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

That's a large Chambeyronia once you take a big enough rootball for it to survive. I reckon you need a small crane and at least a 400-500L grow bag. Certainly too big to man handle out without hydraulics or at least a winch.

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

That's a really big palm to be moving. I think you are going to need one of these.

• Like 2

An adult palm isnt going to re establish roots like a young one, the hormones are less.  that is a job for a pro.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

13 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

An adult palm isnt going to re establish roots like a young one, the hormones are less.  that is a job for a pro.

I’ve never heard that before or experienced that Tom. It’s really species specific though. Larger older palms tend to establish much more quickly in my experience than young smaller ones. Older fatter trunks have more root initiation area and, therefore, faster new root development. I don’t know if healthy mature palms have a lower hormone count. Has that been established? 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim my experience was both in AZ and florida.  I planted 15 gallon and 36" box queens, within 5 years the 15 gallons were a little bigger than the 36" box and they were planted next to right each other in 3 different clusters. so no soil/site differences.  I was going for multi height canopy but those 15 gallons killed the plan.  the nursery owner suggested less rooting hormones were an issue with queens, dont plant them big he said.   Also the washingtonia robusta around the neighborhood in arizona (where I lived for 10 years) were notably faster and had more robust crowns if they were planted before or a little after trunking.  They caught up to ones with 10' trunk in 7 years.  I dont know if there is palm species specific information even available.  I also saw the same behavior in bismarckia in florida, my 5 gallon (a home depot rescue from death) caught up to my nice looking 15 gallon at 20' overall and passed it in 6-7 years.  Publicly planted bismarckia in my area that went in the ground small have huge crowns while the public plantings 5 years ago of trunking trees(10'+ trunk) are looking like the crowns are frequently 1/2 the size.  When I see growth above ground, generally I expect the roots have to be there to support it or it won't happen.   Plants dont grow leaves they cant keep from dessicating, hence the small crowns likely due to small root systems trying to push water up to the crown.  I did a very short search and here is a paper where they are talking about what happens to tree cuttings with age, they lose the rooting hormones.  Now as you state, this behavior is species specific and may not apply to some palms.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5806478/

Tom Blank

14 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Jim my experience was both in AZ and florida.  I planted 15 gallon and 36" box queens, within 5 years the 15 gallons were a little bigger than the 36" box and they were planted next to right each other in 3 different clusters. so no soil/site differences.  I was going for multi height canopy but those 15 gallons killed the plan.  the nursery owner suggested less rooting hormones were an issue with queens, dont plant them big he said.   Also the washingtonia robusta around the neighborhood in arizona (where I lived for 10 years) were notably faster and had more robust crowns if they were planted before or a little after trunking.  They caught up to ones with 10' trunk in 7 years.  I dont know if there is palm species specific information even available.  I also saw the same behavior in bismarckia in florida, my 5 gallon (a home depot rescue from death) caught up to my nice looking 15 gallon at 20' overall and passed it in 6-7 years.  Publicly planted bismarckia in my area that went in the ground small have huge crowns while the public plantings 5 years ago of trunking trees(10'+ trunk) are looking like the crowns are frequently 1/2 the size.  When I see growth above ground, generally I expect the roots have to be there to support it or it won't happen.   Plants dont grow leaves they cant keep from dessicating, hence the small crowns likely due to small root systems trying to push water up to the crown.  I did a very short search and here is a paper where they are talking about what happens to tree cuttings with age, they lose the rooting hormones.  Now as you state, this behavior is species specific and may not apply to some palms.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5806478/

Okay. I thought you were originally referencing field grown palms, not palms growing in containers. I agree that containerized big palms grow considerably slower than containerized young ones when planted out. I think field grown large palms suffer less than young field grown, dug up and transplanted palms. The death rate is higher also for the young dug up palms versus mature ones. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim, all the bizzies were field grown, anything with 10' trunk is generally like washies in phoenix az.  The queens werre both containers yes.  bizzies and washies were containers for the small ones but not the big ones(field grown) which dont do as well.

Tom Blank

On 3/12/2020 at 5:00 AM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Just curious about the total height of the palm rather than just up to its crownshaft. Nice flamethrower! 

Jim around 6 meters height.

• Upvote 1

If you need help lifting it, I have a lot of free time right now...  Ha Ha

Seriously  How are you going to move that, and to where...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Big50 let us know how it goes!

I have a lot of Chambeyroneas!

Here’s a pair in the center between two Archontophoenix tuckeri.

48B9F129-A2C1-4430-BEDF-CE11AE4D7D39.thumb.jpeg.8d0c300468991d4bb6d2e62d41856c91.jpeg

• Like 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

23 hours ago, TomJ said:

If you need help lifting it, I have a lot of free time right now...  Ha Ha

Seriously  How are you going to move that, and to where...

You will need to bring trump with you to lift it otherwise we are screwed. haha

We get a relatively close access so we are going to use a crane, without it would be impossible to move, the root ball have near 1 meter diameter and 50 deep.

Edited by Big50

25 minutes ago, Big50 said:

You will need to bring trump with you to lift it otherwise we are screwed. haha

We get a relatively close access so we are going to use a crane, without it would be impossible to move, the root ball have near 1 meter diameter and 50 deep.

Do please show us and above all else, tell us how it goes.

I might have to edit some of my 30+ Chambeys soon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@Big50 let us know how it goes!

I have a lot of Chambeyroneas!

Here’s a pair in the center between two Archontophoenix tuckeri.

48B9F129-A2C1-4430-BEDF-CE11AE4D7D39.thumb.jpeg.8d0c300468991d4bb6d2e62d41856c91.jpeg

Dave its almost ready with the diameter and height what i think is appropriate and properly wrapped, the last step would be to cut underneath to release it but I am doing it in steps to try to reduce the impact so I will give it more time before i completely remove it from there.

What a nice couple of chambeyronias and those tuckeris are really huge, congratulations.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, DoomsDave said:

Do please show us and above all else, tell us how it goes.

I might have to edit some of my 30+ Chambeys soon.

I will, for now I am going to let it rest for a while to try to reduce the impact and meanwhile I am throwing some water with fertilizer on it.

It is showing some color right now.

IMG_6932.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
On 3/13/2020 at 11:47 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Okay. I thought you were originally referencing field grown palms, not palms growing in containers. I agree that containerized big palms grow considerably slower than containerized young ones when planted out. I think field grown large palms suffer less than young field grown, dug up and transplanted palms. The death rate is higher also for the young dug up palms versus mature ones. 

Tom Blank