IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplanting Pindos

DAVEinMB

They transplant well. That's going to be a heavy palm though. With a decent root ball and all the rain we have had easily a few hundred lbs

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not sure but I would definitely go dig that out.  Nice find

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Very easily.  This one has been dug up and transplanted 5 times!  I moved several times in the past decade (5 different counties in Texas!!) and liked the color of this one so I wanted to keep it.  It's now well above the fence and in place for 2½ years now so it's finally had a chance to settle in.  It suffered very minimal transplant shock.

003.thumb.JPG.9c37cf2af357f560c66733c5ba5f6982.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I'll update if you decide to go get it :D

Now's an excellent time for a transplant since soil temps are on the rise (or will be very soon).  Hope you can give it a good home - looks like a nice one.  You can bungee the leaves up like a pony-tail and trim those old leaf boots to make it easier to transport.  I'd dig a rootball at least the size of a 20-gal container - maybe 18"-2' diameter away from the trunk.  Shouldn't be too much work unless it's in dry clay.  :(  Sandy soil would be pretty easy.  I agree with Allen - if you've got room to plant go for it!

Jon Sunder

51 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Now's an excellent time for a transplant since soil temps are on the rise (or will be very soon).  Hope you can give it a good home - looks like a nice one.  You can bungee the leaves up like a pony-tail and trim those old leaf boots to make it easier to transport.  I'd dig a rootball at least the size of a 20-gal container - maybe 18"-2' diameter away from the trunk.  Shouldn't be too much work unless it's in dry clay.  :(  Sandy soil would be pretty easy.  I agree with Allen - if you've got room to plant go for it!

Good deal, I've never messed w pindos so wasn't sure about the root ball. 

I already have a couple spots in mind :D, think I may go assess the extraction on Saturday

E95A8AAA-CEBB-4AC4-BC76-C1B776DB874F.thumb.jpeg.3970d9182d15393a962d88d3da55686d.jpeg

They transplant well. I just transplanted a 4 foot trunk and its doing great 

Edited by Joe in Zapata TX
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

On 2/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, Fusca said:

Yup, what he said!  I've moved quite a few around with no problems.  That one might be about 200lb with a decent rootball, maybe up to around 300lb depending on its actual diameter.  Pindos are pretty tolerant of root disturbance, so if it's too heavy to get in the car/van/trailer you could knock some dirt off the rootball without worrying about killing it.  Just plant it on the high side of normal in well draining soil, because Pindos prefer to be drier than many palms.

2 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Yup, what he said!  I've moved quite a few around with no problems.  That one might be about 200lb with a decent rootball, maybe up to around 300lb depending on its actual diameter.  Pindos are pretty tolerant of root disturbance, so if it's too heavy to get in the car/van/trailer you could knock some dirt off the rootball without worrying about killing it.  Just plant it on the high side of normal in well draining soil, because Pindos prefer to be drier than many palms.

Good deal, 200-300 lbs is definitely manageable. The area I have in mind is in between a couple trachies in my front yard. Soil is mostly native sand so it gets rid of water in a hurry. 

• Like 1

Why are we still talking about this!!! LOL show us some pics of that thing planted LOL

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Why are we still talking about this!!! LOL show us some pics of that thing planted LOL

Bahahaha, I'm going to look at it tomor :D

Sadly plans to get the tree this weekend fell through. I'm supposed to meet with the owner the next time he's in town. Gonna be a few weeks...

1 hour ago, Manalto said:

The suspense is killing me!

Let us know how it goes.

Well I got a couple more pics of the palm today and my back is hurting just thinking about it haha

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

• Like 1

When I lived up north we’d definitely call that a “Heffer” ... of course we were referring to cows/bulls. Now that I live down south.... I’d still call that a heffer :beat_deadhorse: 

• Like 1