IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HELP!

Big Eye

Aloha and back again with another re-potting mishap! This seems to be the normal for me by now :( Anyway, here I go... I re-potted 2 Pritchardia hardyi up from 3 gallon containers to these 5 gallon Superoots Air-pots on Saturday.  One went as smooth as it could but the other... As I pulled the second one out, I thought it was root-balled more than it was.  About half the roots broke off along with the soil.  I panicked, threw it in the 5 gallon pot, back-filled, watered deeply with a mycorrhizae wettable powder and put it in the garage to recuperate from the ordeal.  I went to pick up Superthrive and watered it in on Monday to help with the transplant shock.  Yesterday, I went to squeeze the pot and I suspect there are some air pockets towards the bottom where the roots had broken off from.  When I was back-filling the soil, I tried my hardest to make sure that all the soil would enter the voids in the roots by shaking the pot so the soil would get packed in there snugly.  I don't think that has happened. 

I don't have photos during the re-potting as I thought it was going to be a walk in the park and as soon as the roots broke off, I freaked out and threw it in the pot as quickly as I could.  I don't know why, but it was scary.  Lol.  I do, however, have a picture that I took early this morning.

Would it be wise to take it out of the pot at this point in time to investigate the lower portion of the root zone to make sure there is soil down there?  Just let it be and hope for the best?  These 2 are the biggest hardyi specimen that I have and I'd hate to lose them.  Any and all replies are welcome!  Thanks for reading!

Sorry, forgot to add the picture... I apologize for the bad pic quality. I'm afraid to even look at it at this point for fear of it dying. It's the one on the left. 

20200218_064549.jpg

im probably the worse when it comes to repotting. i fill it in the best i can and then run a hose on it to push the soil down and around the roots. I then top it off with soil and do it again until the soil stops settling.  seems to work ok for me. 

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

5 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

im probably the worse when it comes to repotting. i fill it in the best i can and then run a hose on it to push the soil down and around the roots. I then top it off with soil and do it again until the soil stops settling.  seems to work ok for me. 

Ok, thanks @Stevetoad! Would you recommend another deep watering even though I did 2 already? One on the day of potting up (Saturday) and another on Monday. 

Also, what signs should I be looking for in transplant shock? The leaves were already yellowing and tip browning before the re-potting. I marked the spears to be able to see if it's moving.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

About 2.5 weeks after repotting and the spear has grown almost an inch and doesn't pull. Been watering once a week and staying in the garage next to the grow light for some ambient light. Am I in the clear??? 

20200304_065312.jpg

Looks like your good to me. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

2 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Looks like your good to me. 

@Stevetoad Whew! Been softly tugging the spear daily since the repot to see if it was going to pull. Luckily it didn't and hopefully doesn't! Would it be wise to fertilize now or wait a few more weeks and let the roots settle further? 

Here are the 2 as they appeared today. You can barely see the second one on the left as it's being covered. 

20200304_123236.jpg

So sorry, they were re-potted from 5 gallon to 7 gallon.  Not 3 to 5.  Don't think I've ever seen a 3 gallon that big! :floor:

They look perfect. I’d wait to fertilize still though. But then again I’m notorious for not fertilizing at all. I’m about four years late on feeding my garden now. This year I definitely will though...........maybe. 

• Like 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

These palms look plenty big enough to go in the ground. Why confine them to pots? 

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

13 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

They look perfect. I’d wait to fertilize still though. But then again I’m notorious for not fertilizing at all. I’m about four years late on feeding my garden now. This year I definitely will though...........maybe. 

@Stevetoad Ok, thanks! Will hold off on the fertilizer for now and let the roots get acclimated.  Thanks again, Steve!

12 hours ago, Kim said:

These palms look plenty big enough to go in the ground. Why confine them to pots? 

@Kim Yeah, there are good sized plants!  The reason they're not in the ground is because I want to wait until our house up to see exactly where I'd like to plant them.  We're looking at 1 year to finish construction so they won't be in pots for much longer, hopefully...