IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus weight

RyManUtah

How does one ballpark the weight of a Trachycarpus fortunei? This lot is getting developed after the 20th, and I’d like to save this palm from the excavators, just don’t want to make it worse if I can’t lift it.  It’s 8’ in total height. 

1210193C-3177-407C-8B9D-6610CACF87A6.jpeg.4c86b3b67bc247ac2f47b3bcd01cddbd.jpeg

D76C576E-6FE8-4DBF-B25D-F5DB48D4EDA8.thumb.jpeg.e1540cacf31a73b2184993067a1824b0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@RyManUtah as a side note though,  soil type is going to have the biggest influence on overall weight. Trachies themselves aren't very dense palms so even larger ones (~15') can be moved fairly easily with 2 or 3 people.

I moved 2 that were roughly the same size as the one in question - 1 in sandy soil and 1 in clay soil. The sandy soil tree was about 7' oah and I could manhandle myself. The clay planted one (about 8' oah) was a ball buster. 36" diameter circle around the tree should be safe to get all the roots. My larger trees had 36"-42" diameter root balls when dug up. 

• Like 1

Thank you! I’ll let you know what happens. Will be one of the next few days. Night if anyone says anything :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, RyManUtah said:

Thank you! I’ll let you know what happens. Will be one of the next few days. Night if anyone says anything :rolleyes:

Yea man, absolutely. 

Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do haha

Palm has been moved to safety. Went to do so last night and somebody was there doing so. Pretty easy extraction with two of us. I think it’ll have a good home with him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow theres 2 palm nuts in the same area. Did you introduce him to PT haha 

Right?? Haha. We discussed it. He doesn’t do technology very well, but I did write it down for him. 

23 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Right?? Haha. We discussed it. He doesn’t do technology very well, but I did write it down for him. 

Was he sporting a shiny flip phone ? Haha 

• Like 1

T J 

26 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I mean, it’s quite possible. This area has a pretty hefty percentage as a retirement community.  B)

47 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

I mean, it’s quite possible. This area has a pretty hefty percentage as a retirement community.  B)

So your just fitting in with the whole palm garden thing right :interesting: 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Hey now..... I resemble that, but they told me my phone would no longer work and I'd have to modernize so even I have one of those smarter than me phones now! Just don't ask me to do more than one thing at a time on it!

@RyManUtah  GOOD WORK!!

11 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Hey now..... I resemble that, but they told me my phone would no longer work and I'd have to modernize so even I have one of those smarter than me phones now! Just don't ask me to do more than one thing at a time on it!

@RyManUtah  GOOD WORK!!

Thats funny you have been told that cause I work with a couple guys who are still rocking there flip phones haha 

T J 

8 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thats funny you have been told that cause I work with a couple guys who are still rocking there flip phones haha 

For my use they were actually better. I've had 2 Galaxy S-7 edge phones that were each dropped one time in a rubber cover from desk chair seat height that killed them. Now I'm on a Galaxy A-6 but the camera isn't as good  as the ones were in the S-7's so I'm back to a phone AND taking the Nikon camera with me. uggggggg Like many people of a certain age I can't read the damn phone without powerful reading glasses anyway so half the time the damn thing is useless. I don't even bother trying to use the web with it. Oh, gotta go yell at those kids , "GET OFFA MY LAWN!!!"

• Like 2

No hate from me at all!

I like flip phones, myself. I do have needs for a smartphone, although i avoided one for a long time. I have a hard time typing on a touch screen, as I’m sure we’ve all noticed :floor2: 

also, most of my friends are older than me. B)

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So your just fitting in with the whole palm garden thing right :interesting: 

Basically. There’s a lot I love about living in Utah. I may not always be here, but it will do for now.  Growing up in the northern mountains, Where you have winter and July as seasons, this is where I wanted to be. It’s the only populated 8b area in the state. 

7 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Hey I'm one of 5 people on this earth that still doesn't have a cell phone. It aggravates my wife at times but I'm good with not having a leash attached to me at all times thank you. B)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJ said:

Hey I'm one of 5 people on this earth that still doesn't have a cell phone. It aggravates my wife at times but I'm good with not having a leash attached to me at all times thank you. B)

I know of atleast another PT member on here that doesnt have a cell phone. I wont name him but he knows who he is haha. I wish I didnt need a phone but if I didnt have one no PT for me =/ I currently dont own a computer =) 

• Like 1

T J 

It won't be that heavy at all, depending how much of the rootball and soil you take up with it. I have moved Fortunei in a smallish pot with 5 foot of trunk and would estimate the weight of them to be around 100 pounds. An 8 foot specimen with quite a bit of rootball and soil would probably be about 150-175 pounds. 

Good luck with it! :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

On 2/22/2020 at 7:20 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I know of atleast another PT member on here that doesnt have a cell phone. I wont name him but he knows who he is haha. I wish I didnt need a phone but if I didnt have one no PT for me =/ I currently dont own a computer =) 

Guilty as charged.  LOL!  

Ryan, nice work on the save!  Noticed a neighbor in my subdivision on the same mission.  Rescued a neglected Trachy and planted on a nearby vacant lot.  It was previously in a location with western sun exposure and wasn't watered enough.  Now it's getting (or will be getting) western shade from an oak.  Looks terrible but still alive.  Hope it gets re-established as I'm sure it won't get the attention you will be providing yours!

IMG_20200223_150415.jpg

Interesting that one right across the street from where it was planted in nearly full shade looks SO MUCH better!

IMG_20200223_150519.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

Great work!

trachycarpus and Washingtonia are pretty common here, but I don’t think they need to be bulldozed. I rather enjoy looking at them. They certainly take the chill out of the winter days, psychologically 

• Like 2