IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Earliest take Palms outside

bgifford

Hello!

I was wondering at what point some of you who live in colder areas move your Palms outside. I live in central Kentucky and the Weather Channel released an early outlook for March to May. And it looks like we will be having above average temps. 

I know that I don't want my palms outside when there is a chance of frost, but I was wondering at what temps you move your Palms outside (average lowest temps). Like Bottle Palm, Pygmy Dates, Christmas Palms, Wodyetia bifurcata, Livistonia Chinensis, Washingtonia R., Butia Capitata.

Thanks 

Brian

Depends on the species. Your bottle palm and esp. Christmas palm are tropical and very tropical. The foxtail is scarcely hardier. I wouldn't put any of them outdoors until lows are above 50F and highs above 65-70. Don't leave them outdoors during cold rain - ever. Tropical palms are sensitive to cool/chilly temps and won't photosynthesize when temps are below 50F. Cold and rain are lethal to them.

The other palms you mention are hardier but I still suggest you don't put them out until the danger of frosts and freezes is over (I assume they are potted). 

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

You could put the Butia out when temps are over 25F or so if it's a decent size but I'd keep the rest inside if I were you until April unless you don't mind taking them in/out a bit.  I'd suggest you get some larger Trachycarpus Fortunei in insulated pots and you can leave them outside in temps to 20F or so. 

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Not too sure about the other palms, but my Butia has been outside for like 95% of winter (it’s been mild) and I live in NY. I bring it inside when nights dip below 25F and I cover it when it rains.

Thanks for all the input. I will wait until we get to those warmer nights here which usually is by early May for those tropical ones. Might take some of the hardier out middle of April to acclimate to outside again, unless the forecasts look bad. But in recent years I was able to start migrate things to the outside by middle of April.

I have to agree with @PalmatierMeg, i personally wouldnt put anything out just yet. Late this week Wednesday-Friday, we here in the FL panhandle have the possibility of more frost let alone being in Kentucky. Another thing i want to explain is The Weather Channel and their outlook, you can still have periods of frost or freeze even though you are looking at above average temps. Really depends on your average temp for the specific time of year. The outlook is also combining your temps in March, April, and May, so they are saying you should see above average temps within that timeframe. I would bring them out in late March or early April since your in Kentucky and you will likely see freezing temps several more times within the next month. I know the feeling though, cant wait for it to warm up and the bradford pears to start blooming. So beautiful...

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

It's been an incredibly mild Winter in the Metro NJ/NYC Area (which normally ranges from Zone 6a to 7b, this Winter more like an 8b Winter).  I've been able to drag out the Queens, Washingtonias, Butia and Phoenix for super extended periods (to hose them down).  As has been said above..., the cold tolerances of your palms varies from pretty tropical to relatively cold hardy.  Will start to take out my large Cycas revoluta, Washys, Med. fan palms, and Butia capitata plants in early March, along with some containerized Trachycarpus fortunei.  I watch the weather closely and have a bit of a microclimate in my yard due to full, unobstructed sun exposure and protection from surrounding structures.   Queens, Rhapis,  and Chinese fans should be out by mid March.  Then, there are the real tropicals Coconut, Hyophorbes, etc..., those go out some time after mid April.  All my palms, other than the real tropical, over Winter in my detached garage (and I have a remote thermometer there to record the temps constantly, along with minimum and maximum temps), March is predicted to be above normal and I just cannot keep up with watering and a full time job.  So..., there may be some frosty nights but I won't lose them from severe dehydration. 

My butia capitata took 20 completely exposed and in a pot. It has also taken 25 multiple times with ease and it gets cold rain a lot and it is doing just fine

For anything not cold hardy(32 F minimum),  not until the first week of April.   Zone 8b/8a border.   Always get a late winter or early spring freeze where I am.