IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Utah Yard Projects

RyManUtah

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

I'm curious, have you (or has anyone) tried bamboo in the desert?  I've got a few clumps that I've virtually never watered here in a Mediterranean climate (drought through the summer) and although they grow slower, they seem to be survivors.   The only one that has died, is one that went to seed. 

Yes, and surprisingly, some do very well  if irrigated.  Check out: Bamboo Ranch, Tucson. I was surprised at what they've been able to grow.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2022 at 7:38 PM, SailorBold said:

Nice.. heres what my trichos base looks like now.. i may just let them go. Will you remove them you think?

There is definitely variability with the spination huh? 

I have what I think is a pasacana that's covered in spines.. but not entirely sure.. I think I've seen terscheckiis for sale as gold spine that look quite similar. I'll attach a pic..(notice tip burn on the oleander)..

The apple cactus looks to be growing quite quick! I haven't tried too many columnars...that one is interesting for sure.

20220710_201905.jpg

20220701_181947.jpg

Would give the pups another year before removing just so they'll have a little more energy to work with while rooting. ( and be easier to separate from mamma )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Looking good.. that lantana looks different with bigger leaves?? I need to add some of those.. which variety is that?

Do I see a mesquite?? Or my eyes playing tricks?

Eyes are playing tricks lol -

right? I bought it as “Irene Lantana” in Mesquite, Nevada. It has overwintered once with success. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

curious, have you (or has anyone) tried bamboo in the desert?  I've got a few clumps that I've virtually never watered here in a Mediterranean climate (drought through the summer) and although they grow slower, they seem to be survivors.   The only one that has died, is one that went to seed. 

I’ve not tried any bamboo. It’s be seen several large clumps around in older parts of town. They seem to be somewhat popular in established parts Ivins and Washington - which are neighbors. Is imaged they’d be fine. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Can't remember where I saw this but, 
"If it weren't for weeds, I'd have no lawn at all!"  

They good thing about weeds is that they don't die and turn all brown and dead when the rain turns off for the summer.  I never appreciated weeds until I moved to a place that doesn't get rain in the summer. 

I don’t mind the weeds. The cool the ground and help with evaporation - without requiring chemicals to be happy. I will not own a lawn - not for me - I am anti destroying the desert and anti toxic algae. I just knock the weeds back every now and then before they get too uncanny. Compost anything without seeds.
They are particularly thick in this area because the Mule is my thirstiest palm, so they are sharing water. I guess roughy 80% of my weeds are edible purslane. No biggy to me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I read a pretty extensive article about St. George and how it’s the fastest growing metro in the US BUT you’re running out of water fast. And no real solution in place. Good thing you’re getting ahead of the curve with that grass removal and mostly water thrifty plants. Keep up the posts!

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Wheres RymanUtah, I want to see pic updates. Been the weirdest winter I've lived here(2005). Growing palms, guava, passion fruit, bananas, papaya and 20 varieties of plumeria in containers. I know the vicinity where RymanUtah lives so maybe I'll swing by

Maybe you'd like a pink guava seedling of mine. I've gotten fruit from the Mom for the past 2 years. Also have some papaya in 2 gal if you want to experiment.

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Any updates?

:greenthumb: X2 ..Ryan has been too quiet lately..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...