IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail Palm in Houston

HoustonTropical

Jeff985, Definitely wait for them to go 50% off! 

Jimmyt, Like they say "Mother Natures a .....". 

1 hour ago, HtownPalms said:

Yeah. I’m not in a rush to get an over potted king. Right now I’m focused on finding a royal. 

There’s a place in Galveston that sell them but only big ones for $500 which is more than I’m willing to spend on a marginal palm. I talked to the guy there and he’s trying to order me a 15 gallon for $100. He’s not sure if he can get one though. 

497B5FE3-497F-4A36-B2C8-E0087DFD34DE.jpeg

Yeah, after 2 warm winters you would definitely be rolling the dice on a $500 palm lasting too long around here. Seems we get a polar vortex every 3-5 years. 

10 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

Yeah, after 2 warm winters you would definitely be rolling the dice on a $500 palm lasting too long around here. Seems we get a polar vortex every 3-5 years. 

This past decade, yes. There weren’t any polar vortex events from 1990-2010 though. And only one, or possibly two that would have killed a royal in my area. 2018 my place bottomed out at 22. In 2010 hobby bottomed out at 21. My place is typically 3-5 degrees warmer than hobby so a royal would have been iffy in 2010 and a goner in 2018. 

1 hour ago, HtownPalms said:

I wonder if the garden stores in Corpus Christi would have Royals? 

I never saw any royals for sale in Corpus when I lived there, but if there are any I would check Padre Palms (361) 937-7700.  I've seen smaller ones for sale in different nurseries in the RGV.

Jon Sunder

18 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I never saw any royals for sale in Corpus when I lived there, but if there are any I would check Padre Palms (361) 937-7700.  I've seen smaller ones for sale in different nurseries in the RGV.

I called there last summer. They had them but only big ones. 10+ feet of trunk and they were $150 per trunk foot. 

2 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I called there last summer. They had them but only big ones. 10+ feet of trunk and they were $150 per trunk foot. 

Yeah, they tend to specialize in bigger stuff.  Last time I stopped by there they had 15-gal coconuts but not sure of the variety.  When I was in the market for a Bismarckia back in 2017 they had some huge ones but otherwise I couldn't find a smaller one anywhere in the state!  Now seems like they're becoming more available.  They have a massive bizzy near the front of their property that was for sale as a 25-gal palm years ago that they left on the ground too long and it rooted into the ground.  Needless to say it's no longer for sale but it's a beauty!

Jon Sunder

10 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

@HtownPalms  I cant talk about her anymore....  She just rips your heart out....  Dont let her fool you too!

Jimmyt, no I'm on to her ways!

Jeff985, Arent there Royals at Moody Gardens in Galveston? If so you could try to get some seeds. That's assuming that you want to take the slow route. 

39 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

Jimmyt, no I'm on to her ways!

Jeff985, Arent there Royals at Moody Gardens in Galveston? If so you could try to get some seeds. That's assuming that you want to take the slow route. 

There are several at Moody. There are also some others in Galveston. I’m not really interested in going the slow route though. I want the instant gratification. The nurseryman I spoke with in Galveston thinks he can get me a 15 gallon. He’s ordered it and his supplier said they would send it. The problem is he said a lot of times, when he orders just one of something they forget to put it on the truck. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll pick one up in Brownsville. I called around down there and several places sell them for $100 for a 15 gallon. I’m planning on making a trip to Padre in a few months anyway. 

I hope they remember it for you so you dont have to go all the way to Brownsville! I'm a bit surprised that they aren't a little easier to get since they grow in Galveston. 

He said they had a dozen 25 gallon for $250 but they sold out in a couple days. 

Instant gratification more like instant heart break haha. Slow route is fine for me I'm still fairly young =) 

T J 

I'm thinking even bigbox stores in Corpus should have royals. Royals are relatively common close to the bay and on the barrier islands. 

In the RGV, royals outsell queens and probably every other palm. Even the cities are planting them. 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Instant gratification more like instant heart break haha. Slow route is fine for me I'm still fairly young =) 

I can spend $100 and plant one now, instantly adding to my landscape and maybe in 1-20 years lose it. Or I can spend 10 years growing something from seed, then when it’s finally big enough to plant and enjoy, it dies. To me that would be far more “heartbreaking “. Palms are the only thing my wife and I blow money on. What we spend on palm trees, most people spend eating out. 

• Like 1

There was a nursery selling field grown (I´m guessing thirty to fifty gallon) royals in Port Bolivar years back in the mid 2000s, before Ike. No idea if they are still there 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)