Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail Palm in Houston


HoustonTropical

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Welcome! Looks like it's doing well.

The Palm’s protection is solely coming from the patio . When the winds are heavy I bring it under the covered area

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have had such a mild winter here maybe 2 nights so far have even been close to worry about =) Bottle palms are great container palms and love our full sun. I bring mine in for the winter from Dec-March 

  • Like 1

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RIP to this unicorn in Montrose, 2011 (?) - 2017. There were several other foxtail palms in parts of 610 dating from the 2000s that managed to survive 2010/2011 only to die in 2014 or 2017. Foxtail palms can last a long time in the warmest Houston microclimates. 

FT1.jpg.9c3b84d4090253d25526b050617ff62a.jpg

  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These neglected foxtails were planted in the late 2000s but were also sadly taken out in 2017.  I used to strain my neck staring at them every time driving past on I-45. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7559437,-95.3750962,3a,19.4y,232.16h,92.84t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sRvvd4ypjgufCZAB9g8TGrg!2e0!5s20161201T000000!7i13312!8i6656

 

foxtail.PNG

  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Here are mine. Two years and counting. One of my neighbors has a double and a triple in their front yard. If planted at the right time they’re 10-15 year palms here. 

2748FC30-A743-4E9E-B02C-029CC1D277D7.jpeg

31F334F3-6498-4C61-B4ED-417303509030.jpeg

3675CBB4-CD7A-48CE-ACC9-FAB652554666.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They look great! Unless we get a late season polar vortex this will be the second 10a winter for my part of Houston. That's definitely good for the Foxtails that have been popping up all over town within the last few years. 

Edited by HtownPalms
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Home Depot gave me the 2 smaller foxtails late December 2019 because they thought the palms were dying . Lol  I agreed 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Houston tropical,  I'm surprised that they did that. I have been at HD before and seen dead plants in the dumpster and asked if I could have them for the pots and they said no I had to buy them! Looks like you talked to some employees that actually had brains. 

I have seen some pictures of large in ground majesty palms on the forum that are in Houston. I bought a few on sale and am going to try to plant a few of those along with Foxtails. I also have some Kentia palm seedlings that might work here too! I'm hoping to do my part to help make Houston a more tropical looking city. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2020 at 5:37 PM, HtownPalms said:

Houston tropical,  I'm surprised that they did that. I have been at HD before and seen dead plants in the dumpster and asked if I could have them for the pots and they said no I had to buy them! Looks like you talked to some employees that actually had brains. 

I have seen some pictures of large in ground majesty palms on the forum that are in Houston. I bought a few on sale and am going to try to plant a few of those along with Foxtails. I also have some Kentia palm seedlings that might work here too! I'm hoping to do my part to help make Houston a more tropical looking city. 

I like it! I have 5 foxtails and 3 majestys in the ground and they have done really well. I have a neighbor that has a majesty with about 8 feet of trunk. I don’t think kentias will do well here though. Not because of temperatures, it doesn’t often get cold enough to kill one, but the moisture would be a problem. Too much rain, humidity, and slow draining clay soil. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You southern boys are so lucky.  You don't even know it!  :D    I have to grow fake palms here in the chilly north!  Well, almost...............

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

That's a bummer about the Kentias. I really had high hopes for those. 

Don’t let me stop you. I’ve often thought about trying a kentia and if I could find one cheap, I would. I’m just not willing to spend a lot on something that I’m pretty sure won’t make it. I’ve had some success with archontophoenix cunninghamianas, which the Houston garden centers have now. I’m trying to get my hands on a maxima which I think would do well here, and I’m thinking about buying a royal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

You southern boys are so lucky.  You don't even know it!  :D    I have to grow fake palms here in the chilly north!  Well, almost...............

That’s how we feel about people in the RGV and South Florida. I’m sure they envy people in the Caribbean. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

That’s how we feel about people in the RGV and South Florida. I’m sure they envy people in the Caribbean. 

Man,  I guess so....    Our Envy runs downhill toward the equator apparently!    Ah well, keep dreaming the dream!  :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Don’t let me stop you. I’ve often thought about trying a kentia and if I could find one cheap, I would. I’m just not willing to spend a lot on something that I’m pretty sure won’t make it. I’ve had some success with archontophoenix cunninghamianas, which the Houston garden centers have now. I’m trying to get my hands on a maxima which I think would do well here, and I’m thinking about buying a royal. 

I been eyeing the archontophoenix at HGC also has it fared well,I settled for a Fishtail Palm I’ll post it later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoustonTropical said:

I settled for a Fishtail Palm

Does HGC carry fishtails now?  Hadn't seen them there for sale in a while.  Young foxtails look a lot like fishtails.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HoustonTropical said:

I been eyeing the archontophoenix at HGC also has it fared well,I settled for a Fishtail Palm I’ll post it later. 

I bought some of the archies from them two years ago and they’re still doing well. They haven’t even flinched at the cold. They had some alexandraes a couple years ago also and they didn’t do well at all. Cunninghamianas though have been awesome. 

09D0C0DF-051F-45B2-858E-5ECA51BD0B26.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HoustonTropical said:

Wow there Beautiful !!! I’ll definitely look in to getting a pair for the Villa

I have a bigger one too but I didn’t get it from HGC. 

1405AF8B-BA52-4D5F-9CCF-A19CC7D76D5C.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HoustonTropical said:

Potted my Fishtail Palm and instantly fell enjoy . 

3FC84FC6-60A1-4CC7-9615-A3E009426F7C.jpeg

Nice - I'll have to check out HTC on my next trip over there.

  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2020 at 4:41 PM, HoustonTropical said:

Foxtail Palm in Pot looking great  despite multiple call spells in the city of Houston 

327B6F88-8AC0-41BE-978C-5A36C8C96241.jpeg

Nicely grown!  When I was into Foxtails and Red Sealing Waxes a few years ago, I couldn't for the life of me keep them alive.  Then again, they basically lived off pure neglect until it was too late to bring them back.  Which was 100% my fault.  I took what I've learned and apply it today.  Which isn't much, but trying to learn everyday!  What size pot is it in?  I planted a lone survivor from a 7 gal about 4 years ago at my old house.  When we sold the house in December of last year, it was about 10'-12' to the top of the crownshaft?  (Sorry, I don't have all the terminology down pat, yet.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, HoustonTropical said:

Potted my Fishtail Palm and instantly fell enjoy . 

3FC84FC6-60A1-4CC7-9615-A3E009426F7C.jpeg

Agreed!  There's something about potting up that calms your mind!  Great looking plant!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Eye said:

Agreed!  There's something about potting up that calms your mind!  Great looking plant!

Thanks , Appreciate that Big Eye

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Eye said:

Nicely grown!  When I was into Foxtails and Red Sealing Waxes a few years ago, I couldn't for the life of me keep them alive.  Then again, they basically lived off pure neglect until it was too late to bring them back.  Which was 100% my fault.  I took what I've learned and apply it today.  Which isn't much, but trying to learn everyday!  What size pot is it in?  I planted a lone survivor from a 7 gal about 4 years ago at my old house.  When we sold the house in December of last year, it was about 10'-12' to the top of the crownshaft?  (Sorry, I don't have all the terminology down pat, yet.)

It’s around 7 gallons Big Eye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeff985, That's great to hear about the Archie's at HGC! I went to the one off the Gulf freeway by NASA Rd 10 times last year and never saw any, but you better believe I will be looking for them next time I go. 

Jimmyt, Like Jeff said, we are jealous of the Zone 10 guys so it continues all the way to the equator! At least the part of Texas that you live in it's a hard " No Go". Here in Houston we get teased. For example unless something changes this will be my second 10a winter in a row. Gets me to thinking I can start planting some zone 10 palms and maybe I can for a few years then BAM 20 degree blast for 2 days and everything is dead. 

Houston Tropical, I'm surprised we dont see more fishtail palms here. My wife bought some that she eventually abandoned and to matter the hot or cold, wet or dry they look fantastic! I think they are good to about 20 degrees too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

Jeff985, That's great to hear about the Archie's at HGC! I went to the one off the Gulf freeway by NASA Rd 10 times last year and never saw any, but you better believe I will be looking for them next time I go. 

Jimmyt, Like Jeff said, we are jealous of the Zone 10 guys so it continues all the way to the equator! At least the part of Texas that you live in it's a hard " No Go". Here in Houston we get teased. For example unless something changes this will be my second 10a winter in a row. Gets me to thinking I can start planting some zone 10 palms and maybe I can for a few years then BAM 20 degree blast for 2 days and everything is dead. 

Houston Tropical, I'm surprised we dont see more fishtail palms here. My wife bought some that she eventually abandoned and to matter the hot or cold, wet or dry they look fantastic! I think they are good to about 20 degrees too. 

HGC didn’t have them last year. They did the year before and when they went to 70% off I bought 5 of them for $30 each. I moved after that and tried to transplant 2 of them. One survived. This year they have them again. They’re increased their price to $130 and they’re smaller. They’re still 15 gallon but they should probably be in 7 gallon pots. I’ve been struggling with weather or not I should buy one or wait until they at least drop to 50% off. I really want another one and they are really hard to find here but they just seem really over priced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

Jeff985, That's great to hear about the Archie's at HGC! I went to the one off the Gulf freeway by NASA Rd 10 times last year and never saw any, but you better believe I will be looking for them next time I go. 

Jimmyt, Like Jeff said, we are jealous of the Zone 10 guys so it continues all the way to the equator! At least the part of Texas that you live in it's a hard " No Go". Here in Houston we get teased. For example unless something changes this will be my second 10a winter in a row. Gets me to thinking I can start planting some zone 10 palms and maybe I can for a few years then BAM 20 degree blast for 2 days and everything is dead. 

Houston Tropical, I'm surprised we dont see more fishtail palms here. My wife bought some that she eventually abandoned and to matter the hot or cold, wet or dry they look fantastic! I think they are good to about 20 degrees too. 

@Htown Palms Dont I know it.   I have tried wooing and courting Mother Nature for years.  She takes me out for a good time then dumps me on a dark lonely back road just when I think we are a couple!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't Foxtails have thick trunks? Not filifera-thick, but I dunno, robusta thick?

 

 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Don't Foxtails have thick trunks? Not filifera-thick, but I dunno, robusta thick?

 

 

When mature they can get to around 10 inches in diameter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

When mature they can get to around 10 inches in diameter. 

I see. Thank you.  So they are slender palms. Fantastic!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...