IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

R I P Louis Hooper, La Habra, Califorina, USA

DoomsDave

Dear PSSC members:

It is with deep sorrow that we in the PSSC report the passing of Louis Hooper, on December 20, 2019. Mr. Hooper, along with his late wife Carol, held a special place in the hearts of all PSSC members. 

Louis was a founding member of the modern PSSC; he signed the incorporation documents on April 6, 1984, and had been active for many years before then. 

Louis and Carol Hooper had a world-class palm collection, which was a featured stop on many a "biennial" for the International Palm Society, and the location for a number of wonderful PSSC meetings as well. Best of all, they were always up for a visit from palm nuts from round the world, or up the street. Some of the Hoopers' palms were exemplars of their species, including their 30-foot tall Dypsis onilahensis, and that splendid clump of Chamadorea fragrans. The fortuitous proximate pairing of a Rhapis laosensis and R. humilis gave rise to the treasured Rhapis "Alicia" which now graces gardens worldwide. And who can forget the three Ravenea monticolas along the back, and that Mayan-stepped-temple trunk on that soaring Archontophoenix alexandrae "Beatriciae" next to their house? Plus a 30 year old Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, still far from trunking but magnificent nevertheless. And so many more.

Louis didn't let the ever-more-cruel hobbles of Parkinson's disease ruin his enjoyment of life, even through ever-more-aggressive drug and procedural treatments. He would reward a joke with his trademark Herman Munster-style laugh, even if the joke was on him. He kept his greenhouses filled with sprouting seeds, some of which ended up in PSSC members' gardens. 

The Hoopers were a truly lovely couple in every sense, a joy to be near. Each was the other's better half. Carol doggedly maintained the gardens and house after Louis grew unable to. So it was that Carol's untimely and unexpected passing in May of 2017 was a tragic note to a perfect tale. Her passing marked the end of the Hoopers' glorious garden.

Rest in Peace, old friends.

Louis Hooper's service will be:

Date: January 9th
> Time: 6pm (reserved from 4pm to 8pm)
> Where: 200 Duarte Rd.
>              Monrovia, Ca.
> Mortuary: Turner and Stevens Live Oak Mortuary
> Ph.# 626-359-5311

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

As one of the last of the "old guard," Louis will be remembered with fondness. I am grateful I had the privilege to have known him. To say he was the most kind and nicest "palm guy" I ever met might take something away from some of the other original older members. So I won't.

When I was young and attending my first garden tours, I was intimidated by those who knew more and had incredible older palms. But after getting up the nerve, I found they were all approachable and so helpful. But Louis was special. And his late wife complemented him to a tee.

When rare palms were extremely hard to come by, and cost more than I could pay at the time, some of my most treasured palms came from him at prices I knew he helped me afford. I will always be grateful. They don't make 'em like they used to.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I heard about Louie's passing last week.   It made me reflect on how much he influenced me in the early days.  He gave me a seedling from his famous D onilahensis to help me build my palm collection.  His yard inspired me.  

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I've had a few palm god fathers and mothers.

Louis and Carol were a kind of God Couple to my mentors. Then I got to hang with them! So nice, miss their garden and friendship.

@Dypsisdean and @joe_OC thanks for posting!

Meanwhile, trying to be a godfather to others . . . .

• Like 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

53 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I've had a few palm god fathers and mothers.

Louis and Carol were a kind of God Couple to my mentors. Then I got to hang with them! So nice, miss their garden and friendship.

@Dypsisdean and @joe_OC thanks for posting!

Meanwhile, trying to be a godfather to others . . . .

Dave,

Certainly I have appreciated your friendship, generosity, tutelage and concerns during our hurricanes and other times of need.  You carry on the tradition well and they would be proud.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Louis and Carol were indeed very special people and I was fortunate to get to know them, and visit their home and garden, several times back in the early 1990s when I lived in the San Diego area. I also truly enjoyed meeting up with them on a few different PSSC functions over the past twenty years or so when I happened to be visiting SoCal. A big loss indeed not to have them in our lives any more and they will definitely be missed but grateful for all the moments I had with them. 

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Incredible comments above about Louis and Carol.

Some years back, they both came for a visit to my garden. I can remember like yesterday talking with Carol about ti plants and Louis about my hooperiana. They were so inspirational to me and this hobby.

A great loss indeed. RIP.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I apologize for this late reply, it's been years since I've accessed Palmtalk.  Sorry to hear of Louis' passing.  He was a kind and giving person who was eager to share his time and a few really cool seedlings with a young and energetic gardener almost 30 years ago.  Rest in Peace friend.

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 4 months later...

Group

I don't visit the "Memorial" section that often, but with Phil Morgan's passing I did see the Memorial to Louis Hooper.
I had known Louis for at least 30 to 40 yearsprior to his death.  He was an avid member of the PSSC and brought in the best palms for Society Auctions.
He had a great marriage with his wife and I'm sure her passing was hard on him.  It came suddenly.
I remember his polite demeanor and willingness to share growing information.

If there was one thing that Louis was great at, it was growing palms.
The plants that he brought in were always "perfect".

We all miss him and to this day I think of him from time to time.

Phil Bergman

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads