IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's wrong with my sabal minor "louisiana"?

NCFM

In august I received three sabal minor "louisiana" palms in the mail from a grower in Florida. They were shipped bare root and were in transit for approximately three days. Once they were dropped off at my house, I promptly planted all three in large pots filled with a mixture of palm/cactus soil and regular miracle grow potting soil. My intention was to overwinter them in my garage (under a window that gets plenty of light) and then put them in the ground this spring. However, by november two of the palms died off, the spears browned and were able to be pulled out of the rootball, along with the browned fronds, very easily and were "slimy" at the bottom. I still have not been able to figure out what happened to those two. Only one palm remains now, but it doesn't seem to have grown at all since I first planted it. The only real change is that the condition of the fronds have worsened slightly. I know when palms are shipped bare root and replanted it takes a long time for them to recover, but I am beginning to worry. I don't want this palm to have the same fate as the other two.  Here are some pictures of the lone survivor:

sml.jpg.ceafc81d6a54eede3b91dde0271bc14d.jpg

sml3.jpg.eb0ce216286dd216c1e62ab7eddef2a7.jpg

Two of the fronds have been brown at the tips like this since I first planted them^

sml2.jpg.f47b827290fd5ecca4223748b2fb3fae.jpg

It seems the spear is still alive but it's certainly not doing great 

Edited by NC_Palm_Enthusiast

Did you add something like coarse like perlite or pumice to increase drainage of your soil - doesn't look like it to me. Your potting mix looks dense and mucky. Your Sabals are probably dying of root rot. Also, do not overwater them, esp. in cool weather. Sabals are drought tolerant and should be kept on the dry side now.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

19 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Did you add something like coarse like perlite or pumice to increase drainage of your soil - doesn't look like it to me. Your potting mix looks dense and mucky. Your Sabals are probably dying of root rot. Also, do not overwater them, esp. in cool weather. Sabals are drought tolerant and should be kept on the dry side now.

That may be the issue, I don’t think the soil has been dry once. I thought Sabals needed lots of water (I’m new to this so my knowledge is somewhat limited). It always stays “mucky” like you said. So, to prevent root rot I should just refrain from watering so much- or should I repot it in better draining soil?

At this point I'd repot it in fresh very well draining mix. Don't use cheap dollar store potting soil. You want something coarse that doesn't hold water. Sabals like water when it's hot but they aren't aquatic. Treat the roots and meristem area with hydrogen peroxide.  You want your mix moist, not soggy. Water sparingly only when soil is dry, let pot drain and never set it in standing water.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

32 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

At this point I'd repot it in fresh very well draining mix. Don't use cheap dollar store potting soil. You want something coarse that doesn't hold water. Sabals like water when it's hot but they aren't aquatic. Treat the roots and meristem area with hydrogen peroxide.  You want your mix moist, not soggy. Water sparingly only when soil is dry, let pot drain and never set it in standing water.

Ok, thanks for your help. Is there a specific soil mix you’d recommend? Should I dip the root ball in a container of hydrogen peroxide or should I just dab it on? Also, should I keep it inside for a while after I repot it so the stress from colder temps is minimized? All the stores around here are closed until Thursday so I won’t be able to get the mix to repot it until then, hopefully it will be ok in the meantime. I assume since it hasn’t died thus far two more days shouldn’t hurt it.

So I got a Sabal Louisiana seedling maybe a 3 leaf one from @Phil JM in early spring. I potted it in a fairly tall ceramic pot in straight palm and cactus garden soil from a BB store. This seedling has pushed about a leaf a month. I water it till it runs out the bottom and don't water again till the saucer drys up for a couple days. The pot is in basically full sun and is as happy as can be =) 

• Upvote 1

T J 

9 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So I got a Sabal Louisiana seedling maybe a 3 leaf one from @Phil JM in early spring. I potted it in a fairly tall ceramic pot in straight palm and cactus garden soil from a BB store. This seedling has pushed about a leaf a month. I water it till it runs out the bottom and don't water again till the saucer drys up for a couple days. The pot is in basically full sun and is as happy as can be =) 

Ok, thanks for the tips. Also, merry Christmas!

1 hour ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Ok, thanks for the tips. Also, merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too and I'll try to send a pic of it sometime =) 

• Like 1

T J 

A couple months in the later part of the season isn't a very long time for the plant to recover from bare root shipping/transplant shock. If you transplant it again now you'll probably cause damage to the newly forming roots. I'd be tempted to leave it as is through the winter and water sparingly during the cool months while it's in the garage. Although you won't see leaf growth the root system will be developing which will help it get going when you plant it in spring.

48 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

A couple months in the later part of the season isn't a very long time for the plant to recover from bare root shipping/transplant shock. If you transplant it again now you'll probably cause damage to the newly forming roots. I'd be tempted to leave it as is through the winter and water sparingly during the cool months while it's in the garage. Although you won't see leaf growth the root system will be developing which will help it get going when you plant it in spring.

The only thing that worries me is that the soil is already so mucky and the other two palms already succumbed to root rot. On the other hand, I am planning on putting it in the ground (if it survives) come April, which is not a very long time from now like you said. Do you think it would help if I brought it inside, put it under a window that gets lots of sun, and let the soil dry out completely? I just hope the roots aren’t already rotting

I have no experience with transplanting Sabal minor and then keeping them indoor. That said, since "louisiana" natural habitat is swamp I wouldn't expect root rot problems from over watering.

• Like 1

I have one Sabal Minor planted in a very soggy area of the yard.  it is the biggest one.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

You could just remove it from the soil and put it in dry soil and see if that helps. but peroxide is another good tip.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

3 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I have no experience with transplanting Sabal minor and then keeping them indoor. That said, since "louisiana" natural habitat is swamp I wouldn't expect root rot problems from over watering.

Well if it wasn’t root rot I’m not sure what killed off the other two. The fronds were easily pulled out of the football/subterranean trunk and were slimy at the bottom where they had been pulled. Plus, the one that is still living’s growth has been stunted by something. I’m still not sure if I should just wait it out until April, or repot it in better soil.

13 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

You could just remove it from the soil and put it in dry soil and see if that helps. but peroxide is another good tip.

I’m leaning towards doing that, however I’m worried repotting it might add a lot of stress on the already stressed palm. 

10 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Well if it wasn’t root rot I’m not sure what killed off the other two. The fronds were easily pulled out of the football/subterranean trunk and were slimy at the bottom where they had been pulled. Plus, the one that is still living’s growth has been stunted by something. I’m still not sure if I should just wait it out until April, or repot it in better soil.

Not a 100% sure but most likely plant shock from bare root shipping. Almost all Sabals are tough as nails but maybe with the perfect storm of wrong doing being mucky soil, too big of a pot and over watering (not likely). Here is a pic of the Louisiana that I got , only difference was sent in soil with pot (Jumgle Music) trademark.

20191226_084947.jpg

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Not a 100% sure but most likely plant shock from bare root shipping. Almost all Sabals are tough as nails but maybe with the perfect storm of wrong doing being mucky soil, too big of a pot and over watering (not likely). Here is a pic of the Louisiana that I got , only difference was sent in soil with pot (Jumgle Music) trademark.

20191226_084947.jpg

I see. Would you recommend repotting it in better soil and a better fitting pot or just treating it with hydrogen peroxide and watering it a lot less until April?

I live in Louisiana and sprouted these from seeds. These are over 4 years old. I agree with others about the soil mixture. I use equal parts shredded pine bark, in ground garden soil,  perlite, crushed egg shells(food processor, and  a pinch a dolomite. I move yours into a smaller but still tall pot. Use a three way meter to test moisture content until you’ve had them for a while and know by look and weight. Good luck I would expect much growth until the return of summer.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Less root disturbance is prolly best at this moment honestly. Water a whole lot less may be your best bet with the current soil. We don't really know what caused your other two losses still most likely rot tho. The nursery you bought them from I'm sure had them in much better draining soil I'm sure so alot of shock happened

T J 

24 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Less root disturbance is prolly best at this moment honestly. Water a whole lot less may be your best bet with the current soil. We don't really know what caused your other two losses still most likely rot tho. The nursery you bought them from I'm sure had them in much better draining soil I'm sure so alot of shock happened

Ok. I think I’ll pour some hydrogen peroxide around the base just to be sure. I also went ahead and moved them inside as well. Might help them out, might not- but I figured it can’t hurt.

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Totally in agreement.  The one you have left looks fine to me, but it won't grow much over winter so don't stress over it.  I think wet ground and wet soil in pots are different for whatever reason.  I grow mine in not well draining soil in the ground and they seem to do fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

Totally in agreement.  The one you have left looks fine to me, but it won't grow much over winter so don't stress over it.  I think wet ground and wet soil in pots are different for whatever reason.  I grow mine in not well draining soil in the ground and they seem to do fine.

Alright, thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

Update: 

After easing up on watering, my sabal is starting to make a comeback. It just recently started pushing out some new growth. I can't wait to put it in the ground this April! Thank you all for your help!

srecovery.jpeg.edd5bed72c7254b1de3c35268227c102.jpeg

• Like 2

Cool good job!

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Update: 

After easing up on watering, my sabal is starting to make a comeback. It just recently started pushing out some new growth. I can't wait to put it in the ground this April! Thank you all for your help!

srecovery.jpeg.edd5bed72c7254b1de3c35268227c102.jpeg

Glad to see it's still going. Mine hasn't slowed up growth one bit this summer. I'm sure it cant wait to get into the ground and out of that pot. 

• Like 1

T J