IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silas_Sancona

Hi Daniel,

Normally I would say all :yay:but if possible the following yuccas would be perfekt: faxoniana, rostrata hybrid?, constricta and rupicola. Do you have any brevifolia in your area?

Some pictures from today. The Agaves survived -15,2°C / 5° F without any protection. Second picture is a three headed glauca, next is filamentosa x thompsoniana, then rostrata x (filamentosa x elata). The glauca and fila x thomps flowered already.

20210413_194745.thumb.jpg.a820dbabb22bf627b0e869f7bc1060d5.jpg

20210413_194752.thumb.jpg.01c7e2d22c042c8b0d2d8e05fdf54f3c.jpg

20210413_194759.thumb.jpg.d375f18abb5410455d7e818efd63a900.jpg

20210413_194843.thumb.jpg.ff76b267b579497b9e54a0b3710de8d9.jpg

Eckhard

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

What a monster. How many heads is it growing? I count 11 flower stalks. You certainley need to collect seeds, this beauty must be spread.

Eckhard

Edited by Palmensammler

Yeah, I’ll count the heads on the larger one when I get a chance, and definitely keep an eye on it for seeds.  Yucca Thompsoniana seed seems to be in short supply. Thanks

A few pictures from the Mt. Bonnell area of  Austin along the Colorado River/Lake Austin. Native Nolina Texana, Nolina Nelsonii, Yucca Rostrata, Dasylirion Wheeleri, Agave Ovatifolia, etc file.php?id=74741file.php?id=74740file.php?id=74739file.php?id=74738file.php?id=74737file.php?id=74736file.php?id=74735file.php?id=74734file.php?id=74733file.php?id=74732file.php?id=74748file.php?id=74747file.php?id=74746file.php?id=74745file.php?id=74744file.php?id=74743file.php?id=74742

• Like 7

Great shots!!

What is that tree to the left on the 5th picture. Looks like a redbud? I am looking for an airy tree with horizontally oriented leaves.

Woderful pictures. Very nice arrangements. Love the big rostratas, some already in flower.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Swolte said:

Great shots!!

What is that tree to the left on the 5th picture. Looks like a redbud? I am looking for an airy tree with horizontally oriented leaves.

Thanks, I’m not sure on that tree but will look into it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amh said:

Were any Yucca rigida lost in February?

Mine showed no burn but the weight of the ice folded the trunks and damaged them. I ended up having to cut the trunks at that point

• Like 1

Reeeally old Yucca specimens ( not sure on the species ), out in habitat east of Florence, AZ.

Specimen #1:
DSC02486.JPG.17405178ad5ba2650ce0f5ab175ab101.JPG

DSC02488.thumb.JPG.a15016a60e9e39c652d76ec8c625414b.JPG

Specimen #2:
DSC02505.JPG.172727d1915982de198304a35e8c4077.JPG

DSC02508.JPG.4d2432961576af1b40f38771af285f1c.JPG

DSC02506.thumb.JPG.0f74c6f2163d313db459f1ddbbf6a101.JPG

DSC02507.thumb.JPG.8b2e7953e5e7376b55ca0da721a91077.JPG

Edited by Silas_Sancona
pictures
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Looks like Yucca Schidigera?

That crossed my mind but schidigera doesn't occur in AZ ( aside from really close to the CA. / AZ. border. Y. torreyi  also crossed my mind but it also doesn't occur in the state. Yucca baccata might fit as a match, but these both had some really long trunks, albeit hugging the ground ( for the most part ) Leaves seem too narrow for baccata, imo. Definitely not elata ( leaves too wide, not enough fiber ) Only two plants i found in this area ( or anywhere else in the other areas here i've explored )

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

Yucca Arizonica? Surprisingly there seems to be less info on Arizona Yucca than Texas Yucca, as far as native range etc.

I did find this 

From theSonoran Desert into oak-pine woodland, southern Arizona to central Sonora.

6bcbd9f10104e0ab14a7c8a0b615a18d--yucca-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Yucca Arizonica? Surprisingly there seems to be less info on Arizona Yucca than Texas Yucca, as far as native range etc.

I did find this 

From theSonoran Desert into oak-pine woodland, southern Arizona to central Sonora.

6bcbd9f10104e0ab14a7c8a0b615a18d--yucca-

Believe it or not but that species was supposedly lumped in w/ Y. baccata. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/517017-Yucca-baccata-brevifolia  

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxon_changes?taxon_id=517017

Another possibility for sure. Wish i could have caught these in flower to narrow it down a bit more.

5 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Believe it or not but that species was supposedly lumped in w/ Y. baccata. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/517017-Yucca-baccata-brevifolia  

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxon_changes?taxon_id=517017

Another possibility for sure. Wish i could have caught these in flower to narrow it down a bit more.

I had read the opposite elsewhere in the past? That this was considered a form of Baccata but split off to its own species? Due to the fact it forms a large trunk and the speed it does so. Arid Lands sells Arizonica and I had debated in the past whether to buy one.

Kew lists Y. arizonica as synonym for Y. baccata var. brevifolia.

Nevertheless a beautiful plant. Are there any other Yuccas in this area which may have hybridized?

Is there a chance that this palnt might be hardy for an European winter?

Eckhard

Hello.  What Yucca would you recommend for me for Ukraine?  In winter, the minimum temperature is -31 ° C.  I have Yucca filamentosa growing well without shelter.

You could try Y. flaccida as well as Y. glauca ssp. albertana. Also hybrids with filamentosa or flaccida should be worth a trial.

I hope my garden will never see these temps.

Eckhard

4 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Вот старая высокая рострата северной экспозиции.20210427_120118.thumb.jpg.48861716c194fd3fca967c1102f1d9c7.jpg

Where is she located?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aleks said:

Зимой минимальная температура -31 ° С.

-31 was about 8-10 years ago.  The climate in Ukraine has changed.  Now -20 ..- 24 several days during the winter.  And so +5 .. + 10 ..- 5 on average, but the spring is long and cold.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on trimming off old leaves on yucca rostratas? I like the look both ways, how much would trimming affect cold hardiness?

I used to like the trimmed look on certain Yucca, but Rostrata to me looks funny. The trunk looks scrawny.

I too love the trimmed look, even on rostrata and linearifolia. I'm afraid that inside or behind all the old leaves there will be a risk of high humidity and rot during the cold and wet winter climate here. As well I don't think trimming the old leaves will affect the cold hardiness really.

But trimming sometimes hurts.....

Eckhard

4 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I used to like the trimmed look on certain Yucca, but Rostrata to me looks funny. The trunk looks scrawny.

Especially noticeable when they get tall, the base of the trunk is way skinnier that up near the growing point

45 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

I too love the trimmed look, even on rostrata and linearifolia. I'm afraid that inside or behind all the old leaves there will be a risk of high humidity and rot during the cold and wet winter climate here. As well I don't think trimming the old leaves will affect the cold hardiness really.

But trimming sometimes hurts.....

Eckhard

I just trimmed back the old leaves on a variegated gloriosa. It has been raining a lot here, and I have been watering the bed with the gloriosa everyday it doesn’t rain ( there are sabals in that bed that are growing rapidly ). The soil around the base of the gloriosa was bone dry. No doubt a result of having the old leaves.

Looking good. Congrats. Mine always grows back after winter, even its planted in well draining soil.

25 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Looking good. Congrats. Mine always grows back after winter, even its planted in well draining soil.

It took a beating this winter, and It keeps flowering each year which drains it bad. I’m just glad it has a few babies just in case the main plant takes a dirt nap :D

On 4/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, Meangreen94z said:

Yeah, I’ll count the heads on the larger one when I get a chance, and definitely keep an eye on it for seeds.  Yucca Thompsoniana seed seems to be in short supply. Thanks

Yes, they are wish you luck getting some to share. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

You're so right. This Yucca needs to be spread all over the world...

On 4/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, Meangreen94z said:

There was some seed for sale on eBay the other day.

19 hours ago, amh said:

There was some seed for sale on eBay the other day.

Yeah, recently a few sellers have popped up. I had kept an eye out during the winter and hadn’t seen any listings. They are common enough around Austin I’ll just collect locally or buy a whole plant. I actually already have one in a container but would mind 2-3 or possibly more

• Like 1

The problem of Ebay is that very often the seeds aren't  fresh anymore or not what they should be. Lost some money because of this over the years. Today I only buy from sellers which I know well.

• Upvote 2

Toppled at a local gas station during February’s cold front, from the weight of ice. Offered a free disposal service. 

0F85550D-446F-4ADE-8CD9-8C281005CF03.jpeg

• Like 2