Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Cross Question


Dartolution

Recommended Posts

Has anyone seen a mule (ButiaXSyagrus) where the butia parent is a blue form? 

Just curious if this hybrid exists. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many of the mules out there have blue Butia as the parent, but the Syagrus coloring seems most dominant.  I have a couple of Yatay mules that have maybe a slight bit of blue/gray on the undersides of the leaves, but overall are still quite green. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This doesn't answer the question but a seller on ebay offers Blue Butia X jubaea all the time.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Many of the mules out there have blue Butia as the parent, but the Syagrus coloring seems most dominant.  I have a couple of Yatay mules that have maybe a slight bit of blue/gray on the undersides of the leaves, but overall are still quite green. 

I agree with Beau - there are plenty of blue/bluish Butias around but I've never seen a mule that wasn't very green.  A blue Jubaea x blue Butia would probably make a blue hybrid!  The BxJ doesn't seem to grow much faster than a regular Butia from what I've seen - at least at the seedling/juvenile stage anyway.

Jon Sunder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is my Blue Butia X jubaea.  Looks like a Butia.  It gets bluer in more sun.  it looks green in this pic for some reason.

IMG_1557.thumb.JPG.6a516a5f5a4f5b845960939f5c4670d3.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Here is my Blue Butia X jubaea.  Looks like a Butia.

It does look just like a Butia - mine does also and has purple colored petioles, but it's still pretty young.  How big was yours when you got it and how long have you had it?

Jon Sunder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fusca said:

It does look just like a Butia - mine does also and has purple colored petioles, but it's still pretty young.  How big was yours when you got it and how long have you had it?

I got it this spring.  It's filled out and the trunk grew a bit.  I would rate a medium grower. Gonna leave it in pots till it gets too big then plant it out and see it it's protect-able here.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks pretty butia to me. That seller and palms have come up on PT several times. I think the conclusion is that it's butia, or at the very most a distant BxJ cross, F3 etc... 

Edited by RJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, RJ said:

It looks pretty butia to me. That seller and palms have come up on PT several times. I think the conclusion is that it's butia, or at the very most a distant BxJ cross, F3 etc... 

Is there a easy way to tell at this age?  I assume the fronds should be more elongated for it to look more like Jubaea

 

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Allen said:

Is there a easy way to tell?

 

The fronts have a pretty typical "V" shape to them common to butia. It also looks like it's already starting to develop spines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a small BXJ F1, it was a 3 strap leaf last summer. Was pretty slow to start out but has picked up considerably in speed. 

CIMG2912.JPG

CIMG2913.JPG

Edited by RJ
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Here is a small BXJ F1, it was a 3 strap leaf last summer. Was pretty slow to start out but has picked up considerably in speed. 

CIMG2912.JPG

CIMG2913.JPG

 

Thanks That helps.  Yep mine just looks like a plain Butia compared to that.  Never had one so have no idea what cross it is, just what I was told.

 

  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dartolution said:

You guys are so A.D.D hahaha 

Blue Hybrids please! lol 

:floor:

They're aren't any that I'm aware of. I think that's why the tangent. As meteorologistpalmguy noted the green in the queen washes pretty much any butia color variation out.  Most butia's have a silver tinge to them, I have yet to see a silver mule. even when crossed with a "silver" queen ;)

 

 

Edited by RJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As variable as mule palms can be, with back crosses and all, we have yet to see a silver mule. I think we all agree it would be really cool , unfortunately doesn't look like its gonna happen =/ 

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my mule is blueish grey/silver on some of the old leafs. the new growth coming from the crown however is very green. Keep in mind that this pic does not do much justice, it looks a lot more blue than in that closeup. 

IMG_20191214_100536344.jpg

IMG_20191214_100541144.jpg

IMG_20191214_100546278.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

my mule is blueish grey/silver on some of the old leafs. the new growth coming from the crown however is very green. Keep in mind that this pic does not do much justice, it looks a lot more blue than in that closeup. 

 

 

 

That's an odd looking mule for sure, very squat and quite rigid. Do you have a picture of the trunk? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2019 at 9:32 AM, Allen said:

This doesn't answer the question but a seller on ebay offers Blue Butia X jubaea all the time.

I bought one over the summer off Ebay. It came from Florida. Mine is green.

524DB3F5-9DC9-4928-817D-DC0CCA9EBE59.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

my mule is blueish grey/silver on some of the old leafs. the new growth coming from the crown however is very green. Keep in mind that this pic does not do much justice, it looks a lot more blue than in that closeup. 

IMG_20191214_100536344.jpg

IMG_20191214_100541144.jpg

IMG_20191214_100546278.jpg

That is a different looking mule for sure. To me it looks more like what a Butia x allogopteria would look like to me. Haven't seen one so I cant say for sure haha 

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That is a different looking mule for sure. To me it looks more like what a Butia x allogopteria would look like to me. Haven't seen one so I cant say for sure haha 

Interesting it was sold online for around 35 dollars advertised as a Standard Butia Ordata and according to the seller it is 2 years old, size wise its around 1 meter. I tried googleing Butia x allogopteria but just came up with some text from this website. is there a typo there? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Palmfarmer said:

Interesting it was sold online for around 35 dollars advertised as a Standard Butia Ordata and according to the seller it is 2 years old, size wise its around 1 meter. I tried googleing Butia x allogopteria but just came up with some text from this website. is there a typo there? 

I think I and @RJ got mixed up with your post. You said your mule was blue so we assumed you had a Butia x Syagrus ? Definitely looks more like Butia for sure 

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Butia x Syagrus most likely. the seller was wrong. I have thread about it on the forum and people think its a Butia x Syagrus

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like @RJ had said earlier your palm has a very squatted position. Even tho almost all mules BxS are very variable, most mules at yours current width is much taller in my experience. I definitely cant say for certain what exactly your palm is tho hopefully it grows up to be a specimen regardless =) 

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Mine unfortunatly had its spear pulled due to overwatering and an unexpected cold snap, planting in winter here is risky buisness. Lets hope it recovers. Anyways here is better photos for you. 

 

IMG_20191210_144202132_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191210_144148826.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2020 at 2:47 AM, Palmfarmer said:

Mine unfortunatly had its spear pulled due to overwatering and an unexpected cold snap, planting in winter here is risky buisness. Lets hope it recovers. Anyways here is better photos for you. 

 

IMG_20191210_144202132_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191210_144148826.jpg

Good luck!

beautiful form...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sergiskan said:

Good luck!

beautiful form...

thank you I am really curious about what kind of palms that can be grown in your climate and what island you live on. any on the edge "tropicals" that does well in the Balearic Islands. Does Bismarckias do well there you think?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

thank you I am really curious about what kind of palms that can be grown in your climate and what island you live on. any on the edge "tropicals" that does well in the Balearic Islands. Does Bismarckias do well there you think?  

Hello Palmfarmer.

I live in Mallorca island, 20 km inland. To me, my zone is 9b, but near the coast “sea influence” can be 9a. My lowest temp can be -2c(few hours) some nights in winter, and 42c in summer.

Ibiza has a milder climate, it’s more southern than Mallorca.

Menorca climate  is similar to Mallorca climate, may be a little bit colder.

I tried to grow some tender palms  like Archies, Rophies, some cold hardy Dypsis without success. The frosts damage the palms every winter and don’t have enough time in summer for recovery, always look bad.

 

Right now I only have Phoenix, Sabal, Arengas, Braheas, Livistonas, Butias, Jubaeas, Parajubaeas, Hybrids(Cocoides). As you can see, only cold hardy Palms.

I have a Bismarkia who I need to protect in winter, but this winter is the first time that is thrive unprotected, Let’s see what happen, fingers crossed...:)

Regards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
On 1/9/2020 at 4:50 AM, sergiskan said:

Hello Palmfarmer.

I live in Mallorca island, 20 km inland. To me, my zone is 9b, but near the coast “sea influence” can be 9a. My lowest temp can be -2c(few hours) some nights in winter, and 42c in summer.

Ibiza has a milder climate, it’s more southern than Mallorca.

Menorca climate  is similar to Mallorca climate, may be a little bit colder.

I tried to grow some tender palms  like Archies, Rophies, some cold hardy Dypsis without success. The frosts damage the palms every winter and don’t have enough time in summer for recovery, always look bad.

 

Right now I only have Phoenix, Sabal, Arengas, Braheas, Livistonas, Butias, Jubaeas, Parajubaeas, Hybrids(Cocoides). As you can see, only cold hardy Palms.

I have a Bismarkia who I need to protect in winter, but this winter is the first time that is thrive unprotected, Let’s see what happen, fingers crossed...:)

Regards.

Well, it depends where you located if you are in inland mallorca you are zone 9b and in coastal areas normally 10a I live in palma zone 10a airport is zone 9b there's a lot of climate variety in mallorca. In mallorca there's growing tropical palms like Wodyetia bifurcata, Roystonea regia and archontophoenix species. I know about a 20 year old roystonea in Sant llorenç, a couple of wodyetias in Calvia and archontophoenix in palma. You can grow a lot of stuff in mallorca but people don't try!! And that is what I'm gonna do, try! I've planted a roystonea regia this year in my garden and soon I'm gonna buy a wodyetia bifurcata and plant it. 

20230801_085438.jpg

Screenshot_20230801_090339_Gallery.jpg

20230624_193200.jpg

IMG_20230624_194237_601.jpg

20230624_193150.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2020 at 10:10 AM, Palmfarmer said:

Thank you, it kind of looks like a Bonsai palm tree

Any update on your palm did it pull thru from the spear pull ? 

T J 

  • Upvote 1

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Any update on your palm did it pull thru from the spear pull ? 

T J 

It did not however I got a new one right after and that one does great. 

What species of Pindo do you think it is?

Screenshot_20230802_011546_Photos.thumb.jpg.3f067d69f7303047e5cbba5a637fc906.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Palmfarmer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

It did not

That's a bummer to hear , glad you found another. Your original had a very unique shape to it.

T J 

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...