IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Protection Method Photos Master Thread

Allen

Not comparable to many of the constructions here but for lighter protection in areas with only occasional cold spells frost fleece and mulching are amazing! Especially mulching and that on small palms!!! I always mulched somewhat but this winter again I sort of relearned how well this works for small palms without a trunk. We had a bad cold spell in December with a week of frosts at night in the 25° Fahrenheit range and barely any daytime warm up and under a thick layer of mulch the ground and the water within the wood chips still wasn't frozen! Fleece is also one of the best options for many situations. It's protecting but also ventilating, it's not soaking up water and good against cold winds. Place that under some canopy and you have a big benefit compared to unprotected.

P. canariensis under 2 layers of fleece and besides the mulch on the ground the plant itself is mulched in a pyramid shape covering the growth point. Plus a Pinus halepensis is giving it radiational protection from above:
Capture.PNG.0c4be83ea7baa712046e2e4250a0a6ec.PNG

• Upvote 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 4/30/2022 at 4:57 PM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Screenshot from a city data forum. This is in Salt Lake City 

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.24.15 AM.png

hahaha

This is the best thread ever. Heartwarming. I had a poor straggling banana I tried so so hard to keep alive.. I'm glad to see I'm not the only zealot who has ever had garbage bags and Christmas lights as a focal point in my front yard. Nice to see p[people more successful than I was. After that poor long suffering banana finally died I stuck to more cold hardy things.

• 1 month later...

Uncovered both palms today.  They both experienced -11f -35F windchill this winter which is the coldest by far.  Needle with only dry leaves and a wood box 100% unphased!  Windmill with heat lamps took about 50-60% damage.  At its coldest the windmill hit 0f inside the box.  Crazy winter…

A0D4ADFF-3109-415D-B778-B4B5AE5A52C4.jpeg

C52076FB-4FC7-4A50-9DC1-7394701C34FF.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kbob11 said:

Uncovered both palms today.  They both experienced -11f -35F windchill this winter which is the coldest by far.  Needle with only dry leaves and a wood box 100% unphased!  Windmill with heat lamps took about 50-60% damage.  At its coldest the windmill hit 0f inside the box.  Crazy winter…

A0D4ADFF-3109-415D-B778-B4B5AE5A52C4.jpeg

C52076FB-4FC7-4A50-9DC1-7394701C34FF.jpeg

Massachusetts windmill looking good :greenthumb:

Well done 

• 4 months later...

Whatever this was i had going on last year didnt let any -1f inside in the december artic blast

IMG_3237.thumb.jpeg.9057fe46f35700e1f589026383334a7a.jpeg

• Like 3

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

• 1 month later...

I'm working on the framework for the Ravenea rivularis (Majesty Palm). It's too cold tender for my zone. I have to frame up the roof and when cold weather arrives, install the insulation panels.

PalmBY.thumb.jpg.51f2cd89b21382e5f6035c437152bd1f.jpgPalmBY1.thumb.jpg.44dd57a4ec1e9127ab7ca3dddee7986e.jpg

• Like 2

I've installed foam rubber strips along the perimeter to help close potentially small gaps when the insulation panels get screwed in place. Installed hinges for the roof to allow it to tip open.

palmEnclosure3.thumb.jpg.3a0f183cb51b75fd6fcf589027276504.jpgpalmEnclosure4.thumb.jpg.8faf20c569dee2977a76295307ed7eac.jpg

• Like 5

Protection Supplies:

My favorite lights for protection are on sale for the season.  Buy before you need it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-String-A-Long-100-Count-20-6-ft-Clear-White-Incandescent-Plug-In-Christmas-String-Lights/50054667

Planket 10' round for top of palms

https://www.amazon.com/Planket-Frost-Protection-Plant-Cover/dp/B002XZLH5C/ref=sr_1_3_pp?crid=1ZXT1YKX56H4&keywords=planket&qid=1696819988&sprefix=planket%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-3&th=1

Planket roll

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Planket-6-ft-x-50-ft-Frost-Cover-Roll-11300/306165164

Thermocube On 35F/Off 45F

https://www.amazon.com/BriskHeat-THERMO-CUBE-Thermostatically-controlled-outlet/dp/B01AIUISIM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=15KHM1U09ULKF&keywords=thermocube&qid=1696820020&sprefix=thermocube%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-2

Kaza Outdoor smart outlet

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Resistance-Compatible-EP40/dp/B091FXH2FR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=kasa+outdoor+outlet&qid=1696820333&sr=8-2

Plastic fence to tie fronds - use 2' for small palms, 3' for big palms

https://www.amazon.com/BOEN-Poultry-Netting-Temporary-Protection/dp/B09KSB8651/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.26abd864-41de-4663-b956-74ef0d53e0d2%3Aamzn1.sym.26abd864-41de-4663-b956-74ef0d53e0d2&crid=1RELIO7V4YG3O&cv_ct_cx=plastic%2Bchicken%2Bwire&keywords=plastic%2Bchicken%2Bwire&pd_rd_i=B09KSB8651&pd_rd_r=4744ff1f-9d0c-446c-b351-9fdd82a49362&pd_rd_w=gIxhG&pd_rd_wg=MEfFH&pf_rd_p=26abd864-41de-4663-b956-74ef0d53e0d2&pf_rd_r=H7VKVZECSFFM2X79F463&qid=1696820168&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=plastic%2Bchicken%2Bwire%2Caps%2C93&sr=1-1-2b34d040-5c83-4b7f-ba01-15975dfb8828-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

My Palm Protection Playlist on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpVDrk5W7jTev40miPmq28V9IcNwB05Zz

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Hey Allen, what thermocube do you use and thermo-hygrometer?

The thermocube link is in the post above.  For a single thermometer just use the cheap ones like you can get at Walmart.  You can get fancier if you want but not necessary.  If you need more than one transmitter you'll just need to look on Amazon

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Battery-Powered-Indoor-Outdoor-Digital-Thermometer-with-Clock-White-3-5-H-x-2-3-W-x-1-2-D/45810751?athbdg=L1103&adsRedirect=true

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

This guy did a good video on the box method.  The box method should be considered when you are pushing a palm 2 or more zones or you are growing Trachycarpus in zone 6A or lower. 

• Like 3

I started installing the side panels. I thought I'd put three of them in place until the weather warrants full enclosure.

palmEnclosure5.thumb.jpg.9c579cffc12010f5893be8b617f09ee6.jpgpalmEnclosure6.thumb.jpg.5e9f37f42b214b8c29416dadc964e653.jpgpalmEnclosure7.jpg.b838b2cbc458e514ce971a0775775f2c.jpg

• Like 3

What foamboard should I use for thickness, like r7.5 or r10, for insulating the box and trapping in the heat and not allowing moisture(humidity) and cold temperatures to get in, from your experience.

On 10/26/2023 at 7:03 PM, ChicagoPalma said:

Im planning to use xps r7.5 foamboard, is that good enough? 1.5 inches thick

As long as you construct your enclosure without any air gaps, that should be just fine.

I'm conducting my first trial run with my new palm enclosure. Current outdoor temperature is 35°F / 2°C at 22:30 hrs. Without any heat source activated inside the enclosure, the temperature is indicating 71.6°F / 22°C which does seem rather surprising. That's a 36.6°F / 20°C difference without a heat source.

6 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I'm conducting my first trial run with my new palm enclosure. Current outdoor temperature is 35°F / 2°C at 22:30 hrs. Without any heat source activated inside the enclosure, the temperature is indicating 71.6°F / 22°C which does seem rather surprising. That's a 36.6°F / 20°C difference without a heat source.

That's why we can't put clear panels on in places that get a lot of sun.  You might get away with it.  

4 hours ago, Allen said:

That's why we can't put clear panels on in places that get a lot of sun.  You might get away with it.  

By that, you mean not enough R value to protect during cold periods, or too warm during daytime.?

Heat source (C9 lights) was off all night to see what temperatures where like inside the enclosure by morning. Outside ambient temp was 31°F and inside the palm enclosure was 69.1°F.  Assuming that range stays consistent and outside temp drops to 15°F, will the inside temp be 53°F? If so, heat won't be needed  inside the enclosure at all.

Something was bugging me about those unassisted high temps in the enclosure. Initially I replaced the batteries in the sending unit but not the base unit. Everything appeared to be functioning as normal but when I replaced the batteries in the base unit and reset the date/time/year etc., the temperature reset and started reading the correct temp. Now the real testing can begin. Nice to get things sorted out before winter sets in.

Also, the elephant ears are so close proximity to the palm tree that im uncomfortable of digging the bulbs out because it might affect the palms roots, and i don't want to rip the bulbs out to not risk damaging the bulb, but they are close enough that they fit in the box, so even if the temps stay in low 30s and high 20s, i hope they don't try to resprout if the temperatures go above normal. and since the box is going to be really big, and since the edging is a bit high compared to ground level and the ground which is lower than ground level. might create an open bottom for air to flow, can I just use a lot of mulch and mulch around it? Or should i use dirt then mulch, or should I just create a little slit in the wood or foamboard so the edging can protrude? 

9 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

By that, you mean not enough R value to protect during cold periods, or too warm during daytime.?

Heat source (C9 lights) was off all night to see what temperatures where like inside the enclosure by morning. Outside ambient temp was 31°F and inside the palm enclosure was 69.1°F.  Assuming that range stays consistent and outside temp drops to 15°F, will the inside temp be 53°F? If so, heat won't be needed  inside the enclosure at all.

The clear plastic here can raise temps over 100F and I would rather see it stay cooler and keep palm dormant 

• Like 2

This bird of paradise is one sun of a gun after our 25 F turning cannas and elephant ears from green to brown. But this guy decides no. Anyways can I just put some mulch and tarp the cannas? I could also put c9 light since I’m hesitant of digging it out.

Also took out the bird of paradise, but it only has its rhizome and mostly fat roots, and I cut most of the roots off and it’s just a stump with cut of roots, just nibs left, anyways if it cannot root, I’m probably going to replace it with travelers palm, which is way faster growing and has well rounded tubers.

Have anyone tried this method? I helped my parents build a greenhouse cover by our patio. We used Heavy Duty Waterproof PVC Transparent covers for the three other sides, which has proven to be highly effective in protecting our palm trees and tropical plants. To ensure the ideal climate, we incorporated a space heater, temperature controller, and a humidifier for added control. Additionally, we have a ceiling fan that turns on to facilitate air circulation

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2382.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2384.jpeg

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

off topic but crazy weather here! its been snowing and then sunny and then snowing off and on! Sadly we are dealing with a extra tropical cyclone(a cyclone/hurricane over the great lakes)

Screenshot 2023-10-31 2.57.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-31 2.56.59 PM.png

• Like 1

This is my protection for my washingtonia. It's a tomato cage and a wood frame with lights connected to a thermo cube. Will throw a tarp over it during a freeze.20231103_172500.thumb.jpg.bd936b6a8368a41ffd314db8e3309820.jpg

• Like 2

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

Hi everyone!

hope it’s not a forgotten post!

i need some help for saving my palms from winter!

I’m located in north east Italy, in what seems to be zone 9a (source plantmaps.com) if I recall right the lowest temp last years was 22/23f, but during the day the temperature doesn’t get higher then 40f, there’s rain but no snow, and if it does snow it’s usually 1 day then it melts away.

I have two baby Washingtonia hybrid, one planted in the ground, the other one in pot, one 4years old Washingtonia in pot, a 4 years old phoenix canariensis in pot, a baby cycas revoluta in pot and two seedlings (1 not identified sabal and a yellowed dying Washingtonia hybrid)

all of the potted palms will stay in the porch with walls covering them on south and west and a ceiling on top, but if it rains sideways there’s the risk of them getting wet.

I’ve bought a specific breathable fleece cover for them, when do I need to cover them? Do I need to open the fleece to avoid frying them? Do all of the species need that protection?

I could take inside the potted baby Washingtonia but I don’t have a room with available sunlight, so I thought about a sansi 600w grow light on the ceiling, but not sure what to do yet.

i know seedling aren’t as cold hardy as grown palms, so I have to think where to put them as well.

i don’t have easy access to thermocubes and all of tha (especially for the one planted in the ground) but I can build a wooden frame to avoid the fleece touching the leaves and maybe use some styrofoam to insulate better.

attached some pics (lighter as size reference)

any kind of help will be appreciated!

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's another good video I ran across that should help in zones 5-6 and Canada

I think "less is more" when it comes to palm protection methods.  Often times, the more you do, the more harm you cause.  A palm protectant spray such as Leaf Guardian can offer some protection.  The best method is often times simply planting the plant by a brick or concrete wall in the first place (south facing would be ideal).  You're already setting up for success from the start.  And a nice south facing slope wouldn't be a bad spot either.  Got a heated pool to plant around?  Use it.  Rocks or bodies of water?  Use them.  Got mulch?  Use it.

If you are going to elaborate methods to keep your palms/plants alive you should consider either testing them out for hardiness or moving to a warmer area.

Edited by RFun

5 hours ago, RFun said:

If you are going to elaborate methods to keep your palms/plants alive you should consider either testing them out for hardiness or moving to a warmer area.

I take it you're not much for experimentation. 😁 With over 40 years of exotic gardening on my resume, I don't mind some trial and error periodically. My most recent venture is by far the most unconventional yet. As for moving to a milder climate, there's very little left for climactic improvement in my country and would be an absolute debacle.

Zone 7: This is what I use for my green Medi. The umbrella, supported by a 6’ iron shepherd’s hook, is the roof that keeps it dry, very important for this palm, especially in winter. The black landscape cloth is great for pulling in the sun’s heat energy during the day and the small Christmas lights add warmth at night. I lay a blanket of them on the ground and the heat rises. I tried wrapping the crowns a bit…never again. It bites. When temps moderate, I lift the shroud up and let the sun shine in. I make sure to secure the landscape panels to each other with staples so they don’t separate and blow around. I also weigh them down at the bottom so they don’t lift. Relaxed this routine last year and almost lost it…will be more diligent this year.

Almost lost it this past winter because I kind of relaxed the winter shroud…lights added after the fact…

IMG_0136.thumb.jpeg.05bcb84f96ce99d3f0508deb0dfee737.jpeg

Recovery!! Thought the main trunk was a goner.

IMG_0177.thumb.jpeg.3fa3332e1f733f90490a385887c2c087.jpeg

Here it is…

IMG_0064.thumb.jpeg.7e71db696cf1d2371cd04c0b40137da6.jpeg

Winter protection…or otherwise known as “The Shroud of Chamaerops”

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I take it you're not much for experimentation. 😁 With over 40 years of exotic gardening on my resume, I don't mind some trial and error periodically. My most recent venture is by far the most unconventional yet. As for moving to a milder climate, there's very little left for climactic improvement in my country and would be an absolute debacle.

I gets to be a bit ridiculous in some of these areas (not yours by any means).  Lots of hassle when you can devote your time to growing indoor potted palms.  Nothing wrong with that and there are some great indoor palm varieties.  I think my biggest pet peeve is when people go overboard when they aren't even in that bad of an area for what they are trying to grow.  Anyway, I always do encourage keeping on planting and constantly learning new things and being open to experimenting.  Just like to keep things in check and not get too carried away with it.  Sometimes you just have to let nature decide.

Edited by RFun
  • Upvote 1

What my process is: Zone 7A primarily protect Trachycarpus and Mule palm and Butia

1st:  Sometime Nov or Early Dec.  Put up mini lights on all palms connected to a smart plug that I can control to make the backyard pretty. (Not plugged into thermocube yet).  This took 3 hours for 10 palms

My Palm Protection Playlist of 22 videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25w4dg2EznY&list=PLpVDrk5W7jTev40miPmq28V9IcNwB05Zz

Nov 2023 night_10.JPG

Second - usually in Jan for me on Trachy and beginning of Dec on Mule and Butia or maybe never depending on temp forecast for Trachy.  I wrap the palms in frost cloth and plug lights into a 35/45 thermocube. This will take about 2-3 hours for all palms.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25w4dg2EznY

image.thumb.jpeg.e270521858bff19d886e9cde1b5d22cc.jpeg

Edited by Allen

On 11/4/2023 at 11:22 AM, Nikoskater said:

Hi everyone!

hope it’s not a forgotten post!

i need some help for saving my palms from winter!

I’m located in north east Italy, in what seems to be zone 9a (source plantmaps.com) if I recall right the lowest temp last years was 22/23f, but during the day the temperature doesn’t get higher then 40f, there’s rain but no snow, and if it does snow it’s usually 1 day then it melts away.

I have two baby Washingtonia hybrid, one planted in the ground, the other one in pot, one 4years old Washingtonia in pot, a 4 years old phoenix canariensis in pot, a baby cycas revoluta in pot and two seedlings (1 not identified sabal and a yellowed dying Washingtonia hybrid)

all of the potted palms will stay in the porch with walls covering them on south and west and a ceiling on top, but if it rains sideways there’s the risk of them getting wet.

I’ve bought a specific breathable fleece cover for them, when do I need to cover them? Do I need to open the fleece to avoid frying them? Do all of the species need that protection?

I could take inside the potted baby Washingtonia but I don’t have a room with available sunlight, so I thought about a sansi 600w grow light on the ceiling, but not sure what to do yet.

i know seedling aren’t as cold hardy as grown palms, so I have to think where to put them as well.

i don’t have easy access to thermocubes and all of tha (especially for the one planted in the ground) but I can build a wooden frame to avoid the fleece touching the leaves and maybe use some styrofoam to insulate better.

attached some pics (lighter as size reference)

any kind of help will be appreciated!

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyone can help?