IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thailand/Costa Rica Coconut from Store

Dartolution

So on a whim, I decided to buy two coconuts from the grocery store today. 

One is from Costa Rica (the smaller dark brown one) and the other is from Thailand (yellow/tan one).

The one from Costa Rica was dry/room temp.

The one from Thailand was refrigerated with this weird plastic pop top (or what appeared to be) attached to it. (see pics). 

I don't have high hopes for the Thailand coconut but thought what the hell. 

The one from Thailand also sinks. Not sure about the one from Costa Rica yet. 

What do you guys think? I was going to attempt to germinate both. 

Thoughts? Ideas? TIPS? haha

Coconuts1.jpg

Curious that they recommend drinking all the water in 24 hours. I drain piles of coconuts and fill large bottles I keep in the fridge a week or more regularly.

Who knows.. 

Im going to try germinating these guys in a container with a bit of water and an aquarium heater to create a sort of incubator. 

Thoughts?

Go for it!  @Rickybobby uses that method to get them to germinate. I've been going to try the technique on both store bought and nuts from my trees.

The thing about store bought husked nuts is that they are picked before they mature on the tree. The water is sweeter then, and so they are a picked a few months before they would drop naturally.  Some people are successful growing them while others aren't and I wonder if being picked "early" has anything to do with survival rate.

Ones I want the water from, I pick at peak flavor. Ones I want for seeds, I wait till they drop. Ones I pick for water need to be drained fairly soon after picking for best flavor (we're spoiled here) because if they sit around a while (like weeks) they aren't as sweet. This may be why some of the store bought ones are refrigerated, to prolong flavor.

4 hours ago, Dartolution said:

So on a whim, I decided to buy two coconuts from the grocery store today. 

One is from Costa Rica (the smaller dark brown one) and the other is from Thailand (yellow/tan one).

The one from Costa Rica was dry/room temp.

The one from Thailand was refrigerated with this weird plastic pop top (or what appeared to be) attached to it. (see pics). 

I don't have high hopes for the Thailand coconut but thought what the hell. 

The one from Thailand also sinks. Not sure about the one from Costa Rica yet. 

What do you guys think? I was going to attempt to germinate both. 

Thoughts? Ideas? TIPS? haha

Coconuts1.jpg

I don't think you can germinate the 'drink' one at all. Not only it is underdeveloped, they drill it, so once you put for hydrating it will rot in a days. If you crack open it, you'll see it doesn't have this thick flesh the one on the right side has, but sort of a goo instead :D

They've been in the incubator for 24 hours now and I have the aquarium heater set at 88F. 

The one on the left (thailand) still looks the same, it doesn't stink or anything. 

I also changed out all the water today. 

It had gotten dirty and a little cloudy. 

Any advise anyone has on this method would be great. Maybe @Rickybobby can join in?

I've only used the baggy method to germinate store-bought coconuts.  I use the gallon size resealable bags.  Before placing them in the bags I soak them in warm water for about a day.  Once placed in the bag, I add just enough water to cover about the lower 1/3 of the seed and then seal it up.  I've never used any supplemental heating (other than what heats the house in winter), but I have placed them by the window for additional warmth from the sun.  They usually germinate in about 1-2 months for me.  I have removed the eye lid of the coconut before to speed up germination, but I'm concerned about damaging the embryo so I don't usually do that.  The one in the attached photo was one that I had forgotten about and it poked through the bag.

20170102_150228.jpg

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

10 hours ago, Dartolution said:

They've been in the incubator for 24 hours now and I have the aquarium heater set at 88F. 

The one on the left (thailand) still looks the same, it doesn't stink or anything. 

I also changed out all the water today. 

It had gotten dirty and a little cloudy. 

Any advise anyone has on this method would be great. Maybe @Rickybobby can join in?

I set my water temp to 92 which is usually the max for the heater. After soaking the coconut in the water for a week I put it in a large ziplock bag with a little water seal it up and float it on top. It keeps the seed warm and humid inside. This way you don’t have to change the water. Once and a while I will mist it. I’ve had great success in doing this 

• Like 1

Thanks @Rickybobby! Thats pretty cool we thought the same thing and I had no idea this was being done!

I am concerned about the one from thailand though. 

Have you, or has anyone else, had a refrigerated one germinate?

I believe the coco from Thailand is a young one. Not mature. They harvest these for their water. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

I believe the coco from Thailand is a young one. Not mature. They harvest these for their water. 

@GottmitAlex do you think it will germinate at all? 

I thought it would be worth a shot.

Here is an update today:

I decided to transfer them into a cooler instead of the 5 gallon bucket I was using. It was a bit too large. 

Set the heater to 92. @Rickybobby mine goes up to 96F/36C.

Basically they have their "butts" in the water propped up on small flowerpots. 

I keep the cooler closed. 

Thoughts?

CoconutCooler23NOV2019.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@GottmitAlex do you think it will germinate at all? 

I thought it would be worth a shot.

I truly doubt it will germinate.

Been there, done that, got several T-shirts.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

HAHAHA 

How long should I wait to know?

You'll know once it gets moldy.

Btw, does the costa rican coco float?

@GottmitAlex yes it does, and has a good bit of water in it. It is fairly heavy. I have high hopes for that one. 

And I am really hoping its a gold malayan ... but I have no idea how to tell. Either way Ill probably like it. 

• Like 1

The top left eye on the dark brown seed is the one too watch. There is a chance. My first coconut I germinated took 3 months. Forgot about it. Checked it one day and boom! There it was a sprout. Keep going you never know. Now I have a video on what coconuts to choose at the store as well if you check out my channel !

• Upvote 1