Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Things that make you go hmmm


Silas_Sancona

Recommended Posts

That Blue Norther revealed by Tropical Tidbits for December 15 has been cancelled! Nothing at all in the latest run! Wow!

  • Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bubba said:

That Blue Norther revealed by Tropical Tidbits for December 15 has been cancelled! Nothing at all in the latest run! Wow!

Wow is right, lol..
Pretty much throwing up my hands in regards to what the GFS is thinking at this point.. While the pattern for the next 10-14 days was looking milder/drier 9 and still appears as such when looking at the NOAA's 14 day outlook, among other longer range forecasts ) 18Z run of the GFS is quite bullish on bringing a series of storms.. ( still somewhat small however ), and a whole 'lota cold towards CA and AZ by mid month. Quite a shift if it pans out.. Run to run volatility seems to be showing up in other weather models also, lik the CFS.  Time to roll the dice i guess..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

Looks like around the 19th we’ll have to go to Maine to warm up. 

9852F09D-40AA-43B9-B51E-CF5CEEED2D1B.jpeg

Ayh, why not bring their weather here, to the desert instead :rolleyes:  Thinking the GEM model had a few too many Tequila shots lol, Doh!:bemused:

gem_T2m_swus_39.png.11207366faba2f25618eec17b0bed510.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just checked and they must be adjusting again. Only goes to December 12! Hurry up and wait...

  • Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Ayh, why not bring their weather here, to the desert instead :rolleyes:  Thinking the GEM model had a few too many Tequila shots lol, Doh!:bemused:

gem_T2m_swus_39.png.11207366faba2f25618eec17b0bed510.png

It’s been pretty decent the last couple weeks. Lows several degrees above freezing. This put me on the line between 16 and 2. I can handle 16, but that’s a big difference. Oooof. :bemused:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ryagra said:

It’s been pretty decent the last couple weeks. Lows several degrees above freezing. This put me on the line between 16 and 2. I can handle 16, but that’s a big difference. Oooof. :bemused:

I hear ya.. was outside earlier eye balling everything i'd have to bring in if this crazy model run were hinting at something this extreme.. 31-33F is typical, nothing to worry about.. Did fine with 27-29F for a night or two last year.. Anything below that makes me cringe..  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I hear ya.. was outside earlier eye balling everything i'd have to bring in if this crazy model run were hinting at something this extreme.. 31-33F is typical, nothing to worry about.. Did fine with 27-29F for a night or two last year.. Anything below that makes me cringe..  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree, although we usually get into the teens at least twice, it’s rarely below 22F. I watch it very closely in December and January. 
I actually enjoy when it snows a little Before A big freeze, I can insulate plants with it :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tropical Tidbits shows only warmth for So Fla through 330 hours. No disasters I saw for the West or Blue Northers...

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tropical Tidbits shows nothing but high 70’s low 80 F’s through December 23, 2019 and no ominous dips of cold anywhere in the lower 48 through that time-frame. That stated, I can surmise that it would be extremely difficult growing palms in Wyoming...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Looking at my newly updated extended. The 5th of February seems like a drastic change from low to high. :interesting:


442026B3-B0EB-4A95-80B9-0B7DF9A89A54.thumb.png.8500e2d458b79da70599d2873cf245ef.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ryagra said:

Looking at my newly updated extended. The 5th of February seems like a drastic change from low to high. :interesting:


442026B3-B0EB-4A95-80B9-0B7DF9A89A54.thumb.png.8500e2d458b79da70599d2873cf245ef.png

Well, at least in Cali, that's not uncommon. We usually hit low 80's during the day in February. But still, in the 40-50's at night (dawn). This year may be a gamechanger for UT.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2020 at 2:02 PM, RyManUtah said:

Looking at my newly updated extended. The 5th of February seems like a drastic change from low to high. :interesting:


442026B3-B0EB-4A95-80B9-0B7DF9A89A54.thumb.png.8500e2d458b79da70599d2873cf245ef.png

Same thing here.. but they dont have any snow or rain forecasted so may be a nothing I hope. Abq is colder they have the low going to 24.

 

On a side note..

Does anyone know how to clean Concord grapes?????!?!?

20200128_154126.jpg

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Does anyone know how to clean Concord grapes?????!?!?


to make juice, yes. Just rinse before proceeding. To remove any chemicals etc, I do not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:


to make juice, yes. Just rinse before proceeding. To remove any chemicals etc, I do not. 

Haha.. did you go Hmm?

 

  • Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Haha.. did you go Hmm?

of course I did! :floor:

 
 

30 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

The parent tree..  I haven't tried to grow Trachy from seed before. We will see..

I have with the waggie variety. They germinated best at room temperature for me. Good looking Trachycarpus there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2020 at 8:55 PM, RyManUtah said:

Stay warm out there. Strong storm is knocking. 

Yep.. that was a strong storm.. skies cleared out yesterday afternoon.. and then the temperature dropped.. and dropped.. new winter low of 16. I assume this is the core?? We were sunny but cold all day.  Tomorrow starts the warmup.. tonight will be another cold one.

  • Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Yep.. that was a strong storm.. skies cleared out yesterday afternoon.. and then the temperature dropped.. and dropped.. new winter low of 16. I assume this is the core?? We were sunny but cold all day.  Tomorrow starts the warmup.. tonight will be another cold one.

It was really cold. We got a smidge of snow from it. Not sure how much, because it blew away in the wind. I think that was our biggest fact. It felt much colder than it was even during the daytime. I’m glad it’s on the upswing now. Curious what tonight brings. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

It was really cold. We got a smidge of snow from it. Not sure how much, because it blew away in the wind. I think that was our biggest fact. It felt much colder than it was even during the daytime. I’m glad it on the upswing now. Curious what tonight brings. 

Agree.. real cold all day yesterday here as well. Was already below 40F by about this time last night. About 44F right now, 32-34 forecast tonight.. we'll see. Tucson looks to mark night #2 in the 24-28F range. Their local NWS tweeted that the area hadn't dropped that low since 2013. That was the same year Phoenix saw widespread 20s as well.  Glad we dodged that bullet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree.. real cold all day yesterday here as well. Was already below 40F by about this time last night. About 44F right now, 32-34 forecast tonight.. we'll see. Tucson looks to mark night #2 in the 24-28F range. Their local NWS tweeted that the area hadn't dropped that low since 2013. That was the same year Phoenix saw widespread 20s as well.  Glad we dodged that bullet.

2013 was a terrible winter For sure! We went from hundreds of robustas to 8 that I know of (non hybrids) around town. Wow. I hope you dodge the freezing mark tonight. 
I am at 38 currently. Last night at this time I was already in the mid 20s. Freezing temps are normal for a hot and miss February, but usually the high teens are long gone by now. Was 18F last night at home. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

2013 was a terrible winter For sure! We went from hundreds of robustas to 8 that I know of (non hybrids) around town. Wow. I hope you dodge the freezing mark tonight. 
I am at 38 currently. Last night at this time I was already in the mid 20s. Freezing temps are normal for a hot and miss February, but usually the high teens are long gone by now. Was 18F last night at home. 

If my memory is correct, i think San Jose also saw a decent frost / freeze around the same time also.  I remember that year more for the effects of the freeze here in Phoenix since i'd made a trip out here that March to do some hands on research of some the less common trees being used in landscapes here that originate from further south in Sonora, and attend Desert Botanical's Spring plant sale to acquire a few of the same plants..

As cold as it looked across your area this morning,  i'm 18F isn't as bad as i'd imagine it could have been. Was more surprised to see some areas around St. George in the low/ lower- mid 20s.  Oddly enough, i saw that some of the really remote parts of south eastern AZ, close to the border stayed in the lower 20s. Kind of surprised by that also considering how cold Tucson was. At the same time Ramona, which sits just east of Escondido, managed to hit a record low of 19F. Rural part of San Diego County but they're listed as zone 9a/9b on the 2012 update on Plant Maps..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...