IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wilt Stop on Queen Palm?

Dartolution

@OC2Texaspalmlvr haha I haven't ever heard them called Robust either. 

Litoralis or Santa Catarina yes. 

I actually have three 6ft tall 3 yr old litoralis queen palms on their way to me. 

I live in 8a, and our AVERAGE minimum is 10-15F. While it is very rare that it gets that cold here (maybe every 5-10 yrs for a few days). I think most would agree that a queen of any linage/origin is not a long term palm here. 

I do however, want to attempt one for sh*ts and giggles.

If @SEVA can grow a piru queen in 7b I can try! haha

1 hour ago, JLM said:

@OC2Texaspalmlvr

They are found 3300 ft in elevation in Southern Brazil and Argentina. Told to withstand 15f without protection! I dont think they have been here long in the US. Robust Queen or Silver Queen. is names it has been given.

Hmmm I can say most of us have heard of the magical Silver queen , I believe even moon nurseries sells them as so. Not sure if anyone can actually attest to said palms hardiness in the states tho. Maybe even have some mules made from them or better yet Jubaea =) 

T J 

22 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Litoralis or Santa Catarina yes. 

I actually have three 6ft tall 3 yr old litoralis queen palms on their way to me. 

I definitely have heard many a PTer trying to get Santa Catarina seeds for sure. Not sure if anyone has a specimen sized one in the states tho 

T J 

Not sure about the Santa Catarina, but these Litoralis palms I have coming are from a trusted, reliable source from silver queen stock that are used in hybridization and have survived freezes.

I believe litoralis is characterized by its girthier growth, shorter compared to Piru queen's, extra tomentum, and purple almost black bicolored petioles.

17 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Not sure about the Santa Catarina, but these Litoralis palms I have coming are from a trusted, reliable source from silver queen stock that are used in hybridization and have survived freezes.

I have queens from the same source. Several of them.  They;re from MOM 

• Like 1

They're queens... they look like queens, they walk like queens, They're queens. :D

I've had them a couple few years. I haven't pushed them growth wise so I can't really compare them to regular queens. 3-4 ft tall I guess, pinnate. I will tell you this, my hunch is if they are hardier then a regular queen, I would say that of a given batch they aren't all hardier.  Now, I'm no geneticist but I can make a pretty simple deduction from that.  Most likely not all the crosses done with the parent with carry the hardier queen jean.  Hey that rhymes. 

Simply put. YMMV ;)

20 hours ago, Dartolution said:

So surviving a freeze we wouldn't necessarily call being hardy right ? So in 2018 freeze many queens succumbed to 20° freezing rain and below freezing for well over 24hrs. Many did make it with varying defoliation and browning and the ones that survived are just plain garden center variety. So what degree do we believe Litoralis are capable to withstand ? Cause 20° is pretty good for a pinnate palm right =) 

Edited by OC2Texaspalmlvr

T J 

Just now, Dartolution said:

@OC2Texaspalmlvr most of the literature online suggests 15F. 

Well that is significantly better then your run of the mill garden center Queen =) 

• Like 1

T J