IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wilt Stop on Queen Palm?

Dartolution

Another thing, how do you spot crown rot, i need to know just in case this ever happens to mine

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

@JLM Where the frond broke I noticed black/moldy film and browning on the inside of the petiole when cut. 

I basically cut down until I stopped seeing it. 

On 1/13/2020 at 7:42 PM, Dartolution said:

@JLM Where the frond broke I noticed black/moldy film and browning on the inside of the petiole when cut. 

I basically cut down until I stopped seeing it. 

I have a white film on mine, not really sure if this is something to worry about.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 minute ago, JLM said:

I have a white film on mine, not really sure if this is something to worry about.

That white film is fine and is supposed to be there on Queens. It’s a sign of a healthy plant. 

Well at least its growing, you can clearly see the growth from the cut. 

I hope it makes it.

QueenPalm18JAN2020.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

Well at least its growing, you can clearly see the growth from the cut. 

I hope it makes it.

QueenPalm18JAN2020.jpg

Shows your town is gonna have a low of 24 on Sunday night and 23F on Monday and Tuesday night. 
Even though these are not Queen killings temps., but not to take any chances seeing how yours is in a weakened state, I’d wrap  something around the trunk those nights. Easy to protect now that you’ve cut all the fronds off. 

Edited by Estlander

2 hours ago, Estlander said:

I’d wrap  something around the trunk those nights. Easy to protect now that you’ve cut all the fronds off. 

Oh sorry!!! Forgot yours was still in a pot and not planted out yet. Easy to take it inside now that the fronds are all gone and won’t hit your ceiling. :)

Edited by Estlander

@Estlander We've got 3 days here coming up that with lows in the mid 20's and Id rather just not put it through more stress at this point. 

Do you think it will make it?

57 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@Estlander We've got 3 days here coming up that with lows in the mid 20's and Id rather just not put it through more stress at this point. 

Do you think it will make it?

I think it will definitely make it.
What I would do is try to keep the palm warm and temperature uniform around it from now on until spring, so it would quickly start producing fronds and grow out of it. 
Since you cut the fronds off you can now move it in and out easily. Keep it indoors near a window when it’s cold outside and take it outside on warm 65F + days. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Estlander said:

That white film is fine and is supposed to be there on Queens. It’s a sign of a healthy plant. 

I hope, it is able to be scratched off. I might be able to get pictures tomorrow before i wrap it if you want. Supposed to get cold in the upper 20s to upper 30s this week.

31 minutes ago, JLM said:

I hope, it is able to be scratched off. I might be able to get pictures tomorrow before i wrap it if you want. Supposed to get cold in the upper 20s to upper 30s this week.

You probably mean this white film, right? If so, it’s perfectly normal. Both my Queens have it too. 

7788FC32-F83F-489F-A343-930E687FC89A.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Estlander said:

You probably mean this white film, right? If so, it’s perfectly normal. Both my Queens have it too. 

7788FC32-F83F-489F-A343-930E687FC89A.jpeg

Yes, that is exactly what it looks like^_^ I have a quick question about trunking. Do you know or have a general idea of when they start trunking?

Edited by JLM

16 minutes ago, JLM said:

Yes, that is exactly what it looks like^_^ I have a quick question about trunking. Do you know or have a general idea of when they start trunking?

I think it’s around 6-7 years when you start seeing that woody/ringed trunk. 

1 hour ago, Estlander said:

I think it’s around 6-7 years when you start seeing that woody/ringed trunk. 

So then you should start seeing it very soon then, i may have a year or two. Especially my youngest, it will be a few years before it starts trunking for sure.

10 hours ago, JLM said:

@JLM what on earth are you referring to "scratching off?" 

3 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Lol! Yes, do NOT scratch off that white film. :D 

10 hours ago, JLM said:

So then you should start seeing it very soon then, i may have a year or two. Especially my youngest, it will be a few years before it starts trunking for sure.

I think I’ll start seeing woody trunk on my larger one in two years, or so. It’s around 18ft tall and nearly a foot in base diameter.2B89C047-7E9D-4744-A38E-382BDF54AB3D.thumb.jpeg.573a2d8db4cd0fd3dbcc03c2af33e001.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

@Estlander Very nice. Is that a mule palm I see in the background?

Yes, that’s one of my four Mules. Starting to get big and fat now. Bought it back in March 2018 and brought it home in my regular 4-door sedan, lol. 
Had the back seat down and stuck it in through the trunk. Fronds were reaching all the way to windshield. 

Looking at it now, it’s hard to believe how much it has grown in less than two years.  

15B5D85B-DFFD-453D-B414-DB8170AD6094.jpeg

1799E1BB-1C6C-4ED4-A7B4-32B6FCF97219.jpeg

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 2

@Estlander I just got a 3 gallon from MPOM less than 2 weeks ago. Plan to plant it in a couple of months in the garden. How is the growth on that one, and where did you snag it at?

3 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@Estlander I just got a 3 gallon from MPOM less than 2 weeks ago. Plan to plant it in a couple of months in the garden. How is the growth on that one, and where did you snag it at?

Here it is in March 2018 right after I bought and planted it. 
Bought this and my other similarly sized one from a nursery in Panama City Beach for $125 each. 

F3660E70-E2E0-4D0D-9202-C0463727FB15.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Estlander said:

Lol! Yes, do NOT scratch off that white film. :D 

6 hours ago, Dartolution said:

I can scratch it off, and yes i sort of figured i shouldnt do it because i wanted to know what it was.

Just for comparison, here’s the same Queen back in March 2018. Planted that one in September 2017. It was a three gallon plant when I planted it. 

167390C9-9C63-4069-826D-CA134C6377D0.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Here it is in March 2018 right after I bought and planted it. 
Bought this and my other similarly sized one from a nursery in Panama City Beach for $125 each. 

F3660E70-E2E0-4D0D-9202-C0463727FB15.jpeg

I know what Nursery you are talking about. I wanted to go there last year but it was closed the day I could make it. :(

Thats pretty rapid growth for not quite 2 years in the ground IMO. 

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? Supplemental water?

@Estlander

31 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

I know what Nursery you are talking about. I wanted to go there last year but it was closed the day I could make it. :(

Thats pretty rapid growth for not quite 2 years in the ground IMO. 

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? Supplemental water?

@Estlander

I give it some Palmgain 8-2-12 three times between March-November. 
And I only water it in summer. I try to make sure it gets a drink at least once a week if we’re experiencing a drought. Otherwise I try to rely on rain and supplement accordingly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@Estlander Ive got Palmgain as well. It says to use every 4-6 weeks. I worry about over fertilizing 

Yeah, it says to apply it that often, but I don’t follow that guideline. Maybe in very nutrient depleted and unmulched soils should you use it that frequently, but I don’t think the soil in my yard is that bad.
Besides, I keep my Palms mulched, which also adds nutrients, so I apply Palmgain every 2-3 months. 

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Dartolution Here we go again, this is late next week. Anyone within the yellow shaded area has a 15% chance of seeing a severe thunderstorm within 25 miles of any point. Credits to the Storm Prediction Center! Click on the link to navigate to the Day 4-8 outlooks. (the last time they issued outlook in advance was for the outbreak that damaged your queen)

2020-01-31.png

2020-01-31 (1).png

2020-01-31 (2).png

Lovely... 

At least its inside now. Hopefully no one will be injured or die this time around. 

Last severe weather event there were several deaths in the state. 

• 1 month later...

Figured i would stop by and see how your queen is doing. I havent seen anything about it and just wondered if it is still alive and well. I have another queen planted out with my biggest. Will get some pics after i clear the leftover soil.

Here is the new queen!

20200325_170137.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after several months of battling this queen palm I think she's about to get the boot. 

Ever since that storm in January it hasn't been the same. 

Growth essentially stopped and today marks the 2nd attempt of a cut back and H2O2 flushes to try to spark growth. 

Today I trimmed back another 8 inches or so until I saw yellow/white. 

It smells strange. Sweet and sour at the same time...

Still has green on the outside of the "trunk."

I also added a couple of handfuls of PalmGain in the pot and watered it in well. 

Here are some pictures of what is left (btw ignore the cannas in the background, they are getting the boot very soon [infected])

What do you guys think? Is she salvageable or should I just say my goodbyes... 

QueenPalm115APR2020.thumb.jpg.b8f09183e5e848c6e70a3564126b493a.jpgQueenPalm215APR2020.thumb.jpg.5562c465b3397da67b56c473b12be65d.jpgQueenPalm315APR2020.thumb.jpg.cd312152d87bd696f3fce2f3e68dcb9f.jpg

Edited by Dartolution
misspelling and added information

I guess depends on how much money you have invested or how hard to find another queen palm is. I would toss it unless you just want to see of you can bring it back to life =/ 

I have a mule palm in the ICU right now that is atleast pushing new growth and definitely more expensive and harder to find then a regular ol queen =) 

• Like 1

T J 

13 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I guess depends on how much money you have invested or how hard to find another queen palm is. I would toss it unless you just want to see of you can bring it back to life =/ 

I have a mule palm in the ICU right now that is atleast pushing new growth and definitely more expensive and harder to find then a regular ol queen =) 

@OC2Texaspalmlvr they aren't too expensive and fairly easy to find, I just was trying to bring this one back to life, but at this point I feel like I need to make a decision as to whether or not it is possible. Is there a chance with this one still?

Honestly it looks dead , still can see dying wood where you cut last =/ I havent had much luck cutting palms myself so I'm no professional haha 

T J 

On 11/16/2019 at 6:20 PM, Dartolution said:

QueenPalm2-16NOV2019.jpg

On 4/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, Dartolution said:

QueenPalm315APR2020.thumb.jpg.cd312152d87bd696f3fce2f3e68dcb9f.jpg

@Dartolution

In memory of your queen palm.

Whenever-2020

Sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

Yep shes dead... 

I would like to get a litoralis queen that I can grow for a while. Just need to find someone who has seedlings or seeds available that is reputable. 

• Like 1

@Dartolution

Yall need a Robust Queen in every yard landscape! Its said to take temps down to 15F!

7 hours ago, JLM said:

@Dartolution

Yall need a Robust Queen in every yard landscape! Its said to take temps down to 15F!

Robust Queen never heard of them, sounds like a used palm salesman tactic haha 

• Like 1

T J 

@OC2Texaspalmlvr

They are found 3300 ft in elevation in Southern Brazil and Argentina. Told to withstand 15f without protection! I dont think they have been here long in the US. Robust Queen or Silver Queen. is names it has been given.