IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold may be coming to Florida

Palmaceae

56 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Estlander You have a really nice looking garden!  The bordered bed in the background especially caught my eye.

Thank you. Just trying to create my own little paradise. It’s still work in progress, and waiting for some of the stuff I’ve planted to get bigger and add to the overall look, plus a bunch of stuff still in pots, including your Arenga Engleri. Thanks again for the seeds. They germinated nicely.  Here’s some of them.....

AEC434F4-B1F0-403F-B855-D1F38AE44636.jpeg

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 3

Brrrr, below 70 when I got up this morning!   hahaha

Eastlander, nice yard! Your Papaya looks thirsty, they can take a lot of water.

• Like 1

I agree! Anything below 70F just doesn’t feel pleasant. 
About the papaya, I figured since it’s winter, it’s not doing much growing anyway and we’ve had some rains, so it should be ok. 

I had a way bigger one, but it was planted in a lower part of yard, and with the heavy rains last winter, that part of yard flooded often, so the roots rotted. Learned from my mistakes and planted this one on higher ground. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Estlander said:

About the papaya, I figured since it’s winter, it’s not doing much growing anyway and we’ve had some rains, so it should be ok. 

Makes sense. I forget how much cooler it is up there and slower they grow in the cool months. I've got about 25 I'm experimenting with. The two in pic below were started the same time along with others in community pots. The one in ground was from the same seedling batch and was the same size as the one in the 6" pot when planted. The top pic shows the growth difference two months in the ground made compared to remaining in the pot. Bottom pic is about three months in ground, same type 6" pot for scale. And it's a beautiful S FL fall day here! Gonna work on the gardens I've been making.

20191013_092654_zpstk6alkbn.jpg

20191116_120058_zpstj1tda0n.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, your Papaya looks good. Massive beast.  And the palms in the background.  :P Crazy jealous of the plants you guys further south can grow.

And not even that much south. Just 2 degrees south of here at 28N, like St. Pete and Cocoa Beach, - Coconuts, Royals, Foxtails and Bottle palms everywhere. 

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 1

Also surprised that My Ti plant, and the ones all over the area(very heavily planted around here), including the ones in completely open spots, are all totally fine.

I understand that they’re wimps when it comes to cold, taking 30 degrees only briefly. Yet windy 31F with windchill down to 23F didn’t bother them the least, yet many banana plants took moderate damage. 
Here’s mine today....

E2DA89F0-14B1-493F-B7F0-D699036315C9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estlander said:

Also surprised that My Ti plant, and the ones all over the area(very heavily planted around here), including the ones in completely open spots, are all totally fine.

I understand that they’re wimps when it comes to cold, taking 30 degrees only briefly.

I've always observed that Ti plants, at least the types commonly sold, are good to about the 25-27F degree range. Not super tender at all. 

• Like 4

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

5 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I've always observed that Ti plants, at least the types commonly sold, are good to about the 25-27F degree range. Not super tender at all. 

Wow, that's pretty good hardiness for such plant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Low 53.9F this morning.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

55 minutes ago, Estlander said:

What’s up peninsular Florida!? Wow, you’re cool today.  Panhandle sending you some warmth, lol

Yup , cool out. Actually put on long farmer pants and wore a long sleeve T shirt today. Don't think I've ever done that in Nov. since I moved down here. Gonna test the "heat" (toaster wire in AC duct) in a little while to make sure it still works.

• Like 2

Saturday and Sunday were both in the 50s F during the afternoons and Saturday night at around 1:00am when I had to run to the store it was 48F and drizzling with a stiff breeze.  I dressed in jeans and a heavy sweater both days and felt comfortable (never too warm like is often the case here).  It did feel good today once it warmed into the low 70s by afternoon.

I'm sure my true tropicals were a bit traumatized by the early chill, but nothing fatal I'm sure.  I wouldn't trust any Cyrtostachys seedling in back to back days in the 50s so I am glad it is protected.

• Like 2

A nice picture gallery of snowfall in Florida: Photos: Snow in Florida

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Gotta love it in those old photos. I remember playing in snow when I was a kid in VA. But no more now I grow palms in FL.

How about this one from Jan 2014?

961612830_SnowfallnFLwelcomesign1-28-14.jpg.e765f25384156d65d17855935ae30984.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

@PalmatierMeg I grew up in an area where it snowed as well.  I'll trade shoveling snow for growing palms any day of the week!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

I miss the snow and change of seasons personally, but that doesn’t exactly jive well with palms. Later in life I think it would be nice to split the year between two locations, perhaps Sarasota and Washington state. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Being from Chicago I do miss the snow and the change of seasons. But that does not work well with growing palms like RedRabbit said. I spent half my life up north and the other half here in Florida. 

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I'm from Toronto originally.  I could care less if I ever see snow again and would happily move further south from here if I could.  Everyone who's from a warmer place always says how beautiful it is after it snows,  all I can think of is the sloppy mess on the roads, dirty cars and boots, and salt eating your car away.   You all in Florida should count your blessings:greenthumb:  I'll be visiting in February so hope to collect a few seeds to bring back with me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I'm from Toronto originally.  I could care less if I ever see snow again and would happily move further south from here if I could.  Everyone who's from a warmer place always says how beautiful it is after it snows,  all I can think of is the sloppy mess on the roads, dirty cars and boots, and salt eating your car away.   You all in Florida should count your blessings:greenthumb:  I'll be visiting in February so hope to collect a few seeds to bring back with me.

I think of Snow as I think of Beer, some people enjoy it.. What's so great about the stuff, I'll never understand. 

Beauty of Snow is only enjoyable when you're indoors/ around the holidays.. otherwise it's a pita,  for all the reasons listed above, and a whole lot more... 

• Like 1

I can say the majority of people in Toronto want snow for Christmas (40% probability)  but after that they want it gone.  The only thing I like about winter is ice fishing.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

The day I left for Florida there was 16 inches of fresh snow on the ground.  Don't miss it at all.  If I could stop arctic air from ever crossing the Florida border again I'd do it tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

December 5th does not look good for Florida.  Hopefully it will change for the better.

Annotation 2019-11-23 102533.png

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, Palmaceae said:

December 5th does not look good for Florida.  Hopefully it will change for the better.

Looking like there will be some kind of colder spell for us around early Dec. How cold is the question. Model runs have flip flopped between a solid freeze all the way into Central FL to hardly even freezing in the northern reaches of the state.

Edited by Matthew92
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The future forecast looks like cool, but not extreme cold, will come and go before Christmas.  Meanwhile, keep an eye peeled for severe weather if you are along the I-4 corridor.

image.png.464e3f304c2cb4e6327eec5422bf8e4b.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

The future forecast looks like cool, but not extreme cold, will come and go before Christmas.  Meanwhile, keep an eye peeled for severe weather if you are along the I-4 corridor.

image.png.464e3f304c2cb4e6327eec5422bf8e4b.png

We got 20 minutes of hard rain earlier this morning, maybe more on the way. I haven't been outside to check the rain gauge. This past Thursday evening we got 5" of rain (2x the Dec. average) that filled up the canal again.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Just now, PalmatierMeg said:

We got 20 minutes of hard rain earlier this morning, maybe more on the way. I haven't been outside to check the rain gauge. This past Thursday evening we got 5" of rain (2x the Dec. average) that filled up the canal again.

We had some rain Thursday, but this morning it really let loose while I was working on getting a few gifts shipped.  I don't have a rain gauge, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got 2 inches as hard as it rained.  It's keeping the dust down from the demolition site outside, thankfully.

Lakeland, FL

Rained hard this morning for about 2 hours in Orlando. 

We noticed a stark difference in evening temperatures between tonight and last night. 

Last night it was warm and humid. 

Tonight is cool and humid.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

55 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Rained hard this morning for about 2 hours in Orlando. 

We noticed a stark difference in evening temperatures between tonight and last night. 

Last night it was warm and humid. 

Tonight is cool and humid.

That's Central Florida for you.  If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes and it will change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...

18z GFS,  288 hours.. Tidbits..    What in tha' heck?   ..Florida?, really??. ..:floor:  

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_48.png.299f257d73cbb89c37c4824df4620eca.png

Regardless, had to share.. Happy Holidays!:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

18z GFS,  288 hours.. Tidbits..    What in tha' heck?   ..Florida?, really??. ..:floor:  

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_48.png.299f257d73cbb89c37c4824df4620eca.png

Yeah I saw that, looks like a winter snow storm in NE and Central Florida! I doubt that will happen as it is always inaccurate this far out.  But here is the temperature map for the same time period. 

Jan42020Map.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Yeah I saw that, looks like a winter snow storm in NE and Central Florida! I doubt that will happen as it is always inaccurate this far out.  But here is the temperature map for the same time period. 

Jan42020Map.png

Agree 100% Think we'd be more likely to see an inch of snow in all of Phoenix before this forecast run were accurate, lol  Still,  figured it were worth sharing w/ everyone for few laughs..  No doubt there are probably those who would encourage such nonsense though. Stop crossin' your fingers.. :lol:

There has been some hints of a quick swipe or two of cooler air for Florida around/after the new year, but what the 18z run shows above is definitely far fetched.. 

At the same time, Polar Vortex looks solid ..and anticipated to stay stable and centered over the Arctic for awhile so, unless things change,  aside from quick moving areas of seasonally cool air here and there,  no real / significant intrusions of arctic air for at least the next week.. maybe two weeks across most of the country..  Have heard some chatter this generally average to mild / not all that cold pattern might settle in for most of Jan.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree 100% Think we'd be more likely to see an inch of snow in all of Phoenix before this forecast run were accurate, lol  Still,  figured it were worth sharing w/ everyone for few laughs..  No doubt there are probably those who would encourage such nonsense though. Stop crossin' your fingers.. :lol:

There has been some hints of a quick swipe or two of cooler air for Florida around/after the new year, but what the 18z run shows above is definitely far fetched.. 

At the same time, Polar Vortex looks solid ..and anticipated to stay stable and centered over the Arctic for awhile so, unless things change,  aside from quick moving areas of seasonally cool air here and there,  no real / significant intrusions of arctic air for at least the next week.. maybe two weeks across most of the country..  Have heard some chatter this generally average to mild / not all that cold pattern might settle in for most of Jan.

I am praying for a warm winter with no freezes, but we never know! Since we moved from SW Florida to St. Pete 6 months ago and transplanted 140 palms I am really hoping for a good winter so they can get established before any real cold comes in. I pray you guys over there also have a warm winter!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Palmaceae said:

I am praying for a warm winter with no freezes, but we never know! Since we moved from SW Florida to St. Pete 6 months ago and transplanted 140 palms I am really hoping for a good winter so they can get established before any real cold comes in. I pray you guys over there also have a warm winter!

Very true as well, looks good for now, but is the season for keeping watch, just in case. 

Hoping for a mild winter for you, ..and everyone else back there also..  As long as it stays above 31F 98% of the time over the next 8 or 9 weeks, that is fine. Cool-ish nights help keep Mosquitoes away, and helps stimulate more flowers on a few things i have..  On the other hand, surprise week of  90-90+F heat in mid Feb. / early March can delay its arrival until June.. 75-85F is perfect..

13 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

That would be really fun.

The current GFS runs show some freezing temps making it all the way down to Central FL around that time frame now. I'm not taking it too seriously, but it's starting to consistently show a colder event for FL around then (Jan 4-6 somewhere around there). Will keep watch.

Unfortunately, I think it's highly unlikely we will see a repeat of the record warm winter that we had last year.

Edited by Matthew92

The GFS has been pointing to a cold period for Florida in early January for the past week or so, but they have been flip-flopping a bit on the timing and extent. Since it is toward the end of the forecast period, and I have seen no support from the NWS 6-10 & 8-14 day forecasts, or the CMC & Euro, I'll not panic...yet

It is 56.4°F this morning. That is plenty chilly for this winter morn.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:29 PM, kinzyjr said:

That's Central Florida for you.  If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes and it will change.

Funny that saying is pretty popular here too!

• Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

New map, not looking good January 9th, if it comes true.

Annotation 2019-12-28 183358.png

• Upvote 1

@Palmaceae Let's hope not.  It's been an awfully mild winter so far.  Unless it goes below 36F in the next few days, that will be our official annual low for 2019.  Some areas in town haven't gone below 39F.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL