IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hoping this trick will work

cbmnz

Potted this new R. Baueri this weekend. Occurred to me I had some solid black poly rubbish bags about the same size as the pot on hand, so cut one to size and cut several drain holes. If the trick works in a few years time when palm is too large I just lift it out and my $100 pot is all good for another use. Anyone done this before and were you pleased you did?

20191026_160541.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I have not done that but it seems like a good idea.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Great idea! Personally, I would not buy a 100 dollar pot. But that's just me.

Beautiful pot btw. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I do a similar thing with hanging baskets using the bags from mulch. The baskets don't dry out so fast or get crappy looking and if I want to swap plants it's easy.

20180531_133139_zpsnmdbwx3w.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I do a similar thing with hanging baskets using the bags from mulch. The baskets don't dry out so fast or get crappy looking and if I want to swap plants it's easy.

20180531_133139_zpsnmdbwx3w.jpg

Can see it working for that.

5 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Great idea! Personally, I would not buy a 100 dollar pot. But that's just me.

Beautiful pot btw. 

Cost 3x as much as the palm. But I like fancy pots as lift appearance of outdoor space IMHO as much as the plants do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The palm looks very nice in that pot. 

I have not done this with a potted palm. Some trash bags are made to disintegrate over time with exposure to the elements, so there is a possibility there won't be much left of the bag when the time comes to lift it out. I also wonder if the weight of the palm and soil will be too much for the bag when you try to lift it out.  In any case, the shape of the pot is a good one for root ball removal when the time comes -- wider at the top. You'll be able to lay down some towels or other protective surface, lay the pot on its side, and slide the palm out. Possibly the bag will assist. Let us know!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm forced to use fancy pots (at least not black plastic nursery pots) or else I'm not allowed to have any plants in view in the garden.

"I don't want our garden looking like a garden centre" says the missus

• 3 years later...
On 10/31/2019 at 2:54 AM, Kim said:

The palm looks very nice in that pot. 

I have not done this with a potted palm. Some trash bags are made to disintegrate over time with exposure to the elements, so there is a possibility there won't be much left of the bag when the time comes to lift it out. I also wonder if the weight of the palm and soil will be too much for the bag when you try to lift it out.  In any case, the shape of the pot is a good one for root ball removal when the time comes -- wider at the top. You'll be able to lay down some towels or other protective surface, lay the pot on its side, and slide the palm out. Possibly the bag will assist. Let us know!

The time had come when palm was outgrowing pot and location. So it was time to see if the experiment had worked!  Decided against putting it a larger pot as a larger pot would be a behemoth costing 250 to 300 local dollars ( we get paid in NZD so read that as being like 250  to 300 USD for an American ), and would be too heavy to move again without equipment.

You were right @Kim, the shape of pot meant it slid out easily after gently lying it down. It had grown a heap of roots through the drainage cuts in the bag but not through the pot drain hole which would be the biggest problem.

Happy I nailed the height and angle when planted it. Will water it soon but that's just the very topsoil dried out in the summer sun in 48 hrs since planted, had a heap of rain  up until a week ago so underlying  soil moisture is still very high.

Managed to not disturb a single root and didn't try to get every last bit of plastic off the roots, they already were through.

Now I just get another one at same size started with, for the pot/location and get another 3 years of decoration of that space.

20221230_173157.jpg

20230101_131609.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Wow, very nice! Glad it worked out for you. 😍

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

5 hours ago, SeanK said:

Just drop a cheap pot into the expensive pot. Nobody can tell from the street. 

Indeed, have pulled that trick also, in my case with indoor palms.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 8:31 AM, Ivorhooper said:

I'm forced to use fancy pots (at least not black plastic nursery pots) or else I'm not allowed to have any plants in view in the garden.

"I don't want our garden looking like a garden centre" says the missus

"I don't want our garden center looking like a garden" would be the proper response to land you in the doghouse...

Glad it transplanted so well, it looks great!

Edited by Patrick

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

7 hours ago, Patrick said:

"I don't want our garden center looking like a garden" would be the proper response to land you in the doghouse...

Glad it transplanted so well, it looks great!

Thanks mate. It's seems to be going fine, the spear is moving and only the oldest frond is yellowing which had started while it was still in the pot. The only quirk is that while in the pot some toadstool spores must have got into the mix, I kept removing them but they keep comming back. Looking online apparently with few exceptions these common white fungi are not harmful to plants they can even be symbiotic so I guess will just stop caring for now. 20230122_115144.thumb.jpg.787b7449fa46082dcda14b620bd1a384.jpg

1 hour ago, cbmnz said:

Thanks mate. It's seems to be going fine, the spear is moving and only the oldest frond is yellowing which had started while it was still in the pot. The only quirk is that while in the pot some toadstool spores must have got into the mix, I kept removing them but they keep comming back. Looking online apparently with few exceptions these common white fungi are not harmful to plants they can even be symbiotic so I guess will just stop caring for now. 

Aah yeah, I have funky fungus growing in a lot of my dirt here. The only problem I have is that it dries out the soil. I don't know if the fungus is  negative for me, except for the water needs. Now that your plant is in the ground maybe things will find more of a balance with nature, and the proliferation will reduce. If you have Netflix, they have a really cool show on underground and above ground fungus and how it kind of interconnects everything. Worth a watch...

And besides, your plant looks so good currently it's hard to imagine whatever is growing in there is detrimental. 

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.