IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are your winter predictions?

RyManUtah

Further to my response. I heard on the local news tonight we had the coldest October in over 50 years. Again it blows my mind a few hours south they’re burning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

Further to my response. I heard on the local news tonight we had the coldest October in over 50 years. Again it blows my mind a few hours south they’re burning. 

I agree. It’s been January weather the last few days. Got down to 23. Should be back on the 70s/40s shortly, however. 

• Like 2

I will take "average" in a heart beat. It has been beyond hot and I see nothing up in the Arctic that shows promise. I would greatly enjoy breaking 70 F.

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

It skipped fall apparently..  got down to 21f here and was coldish during the day,  Very sunny though. There goes my bougainvillea.. I was going to try and cut it back green this year to avoid all the crispy death thorns.

• Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

49 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

It skipped fall apparently..  got down to 21f here and was coldish during the day,  Very sunny though. There goes my bougainvillea.. I was going to try and cut it back green this year to avoid all the crispy death thorns.

Those crispy death thorns are the best, aren't they? Lol..  Spent an entire day removing one from a yard after a major freeze the first spring after I'd moved to Florida several years ago. Thing had grown 10ft up a tree/ adjacent telephone pole, tree itself had been killed by the same freeze, and covered ( the Bugger- vile 'al death) 8ft along one section of fence, and 12ft along another.. Trunk was almost a foot in circumfrence.. Easily the most painful experience- with thorny things- I have ever had..   I'll never plant the thorny types in my own yard.  Torch Glow flowers a lot more, and takes a lot more abuse ( barely water the 3 I planted out front.. look better than some of the native stuff I planted ) anyway. Best of all, ..no thorns. 

As far as the cold, well.. Phoenix did hit 43f yesterday ( Halloween) morning with several spots on my side of town bottoming out in the 37-39f range. Should be a distant memory shortly.. back to the mid, possibly upper 80s ( suggested for a couple days  next week at least ) with lows only in the mid/ upper 50s. for at least the next 7 days. No rain in sight.

• Like 1

Still hoping this sticks, but the update comes the 21st so after our first event. So far I'm not buying it with November looking to be one of the colder ones if what's coming sticks.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

The weather channel is predicting Houston will have its first freeze of the season on Tuesday, which is about 4-6 weeks early. However it happened last November too. It was pretty shocking to see a freeze in November, but it was one of only four freezes for the year. The ultimate low last winter was 30f. While this sucks, it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re doomed. It also doesn’t mean we’re not. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pretty early for the first freeze.  Va Beach isn't even under a frost advisory.  Still hoping for a mild winter.

Screenshot_20191108-063647~2.png

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

Well it has begun.

My brother who lives in Greensboro, NC just informed me they're calling for 5 days straight 22F -29F beggining this Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

My new prediction for 19/20 winter: LONG COLD AND WET. Dont expect a break til 3/15/20 at least...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 4:42 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Well it has begun.

My brother who lives in Greensboro, NC just informed me they're calling for 5 days straight 22F -29F beggining this Tuesday.

Is that terribly unusual for late November in inland NC?  I recall some cold weather, especially at night in Atlanta this time of year.  Mainly 30s at night.

21 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Is that terribly unusual for late November in inland NC?  I recall some cold weather, especially at night in Atlanta this time of year.  Mainly 30s at night.

The scary thing is, that happened the week of Nov 11-16

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Saw these shared on social media.

Virginia

https://carolinawxauthority.com/virginia-2019-2010-winter-outlook-snowiest-since-2013-14/

Carolinas

https://carolinawxauthority.com/carolinas-winter-2019-2020-seasonal-outlook-snowiest-since-2013-14/

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 1 month later...

The winter prediction seems to be accurate so far, but it is only January.  The lowest temperature I've seen here is 24F according to my temperature sensor and 21F according to a local weather station. All I can say is that the cestrum is still holding onto some green leaves, but the exposed queen palm fronds are fried. The buds on the red maples are beginning to swell, and a few are already in bloom and/or developing samaras. Mine aren't, but I've seen a few bananas in the area beginning to push out leaves (that won't last long). The spring peepers are singing now too.

0112201644.jpg

0112201645.jpg

• Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

23 minutes ago, SEVA said:

The winter prediction seems to be accurate so far, but it is only January.  The lowest temperature I've seen here is 24F according to my temperature sensor and 21F according to a local weather station. All I can say is that the cestrum is still holding onto some green leaves, but the exposed queen palm fronds are fried. The buds on the red maples are beginning to swell, and a few are already in bloom and/or developing samaras. Mine aren't, but I've seen a few bananas in the area beginning to push out leaves (that won't last long). The spring peepers are singing now too.

0112201644.jpg

0112201645.jpg

Beautiful. 
it has been pretty mild, as predicted. My lowest forecasted was 18F. Lowest actual (not sure if they take it at the new airport or the old one downtown) was 21. Lowest I’ve recorded at home was warmer than that. I will take a zone 9 winter any year. 

there are various unknown to me flowering shrubs that never dropped their flowers 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, Ryagra said:

Beautiful. 
it has been pretty mild, as predicted. My lowest forecasted was 18F. Lowest actual (not sure if they take it at the new airport or the old one downtown) was 21. Lowest I’ve recorded at home was warmer than that. I will take a zone 9 winter any year. 

there are various unknown to me flowering shrubs that never dropped their flowers 

It would be nice if this were the coldest it gets this winter, but I know it's going to get colder here.  The fall blooming camellias are still in bloom and the spring blooming camellias are beginning to bloom now.  I took a closer look at my bananas and they actually are pushing out some leaves, but not much.  The cannas are beginning to emerge and the cestrum is beginning to grow again.  It's definitely too early for some of these and I'm surprised the cestrum hasn't been killed to the ground yet.  It looks like a cool down is coming and we have a chance of rain/snow this Friday night and Saturday morning.  I'd actually welcome a cool down, because I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes earlier today. The ticks are out, but I haven't run into any fire ants yet this year.

FB_IMG_1579036497317.jpg

Edited by SEVA
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7