IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

0000 - Cold Hardiness Observation Master Data

kinzyjr

This update corrects some location information using information reported by some observers.

202210292330_ColdHardinessMasterData.xlsx

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 6:44 PM, kinzyjr said:

I had no idea this existed, awesome data for zoning pushing 😍

• Like 1

@RedRabbit + @Merlyn + @PalmJuan + @Brian M + @TampaPalms + @D Palm + @D. Morrowii + @Bkue

Thank you for all of your reports from the January 2022 Freeze.  They are now included in the new spreadsheet.  This version adds three new palm species and 12 new events.  Saint Johns Botantical Garden and Nature Preserve contributed over 200 reports, some for species that did not previously have a single observation.  If any corrections need to be made, let me know.

Some relevant statistics:

• Total Reports: 4902
  • Distinct Species/Varieties: 711
  • Top Contributors:

2022_TopContributors.png.2da6a3890c759ae43a330a75cd8f50bd.png

202211131830_ColdHardinessMasterData.xlsx

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

Thanks for this @kinzyjr! I’m sure there is a lot of work involved keeping this updated and I know I appreciate it. I’ve been using since I heard about it a little over a year ago and its helped this newby quite a bit. Thanks to everyone who has contributed as well!

• Like 1

@kinzyjr Thank you, this was extremely helpful and gave me a better insight to what palms stand a chance here and where I should plant a few (in a protected spot or not). Such as the Archontophoenix Alexandrae, Archontophoenix myolensis, Archontophoenix purperea, beccariophoenix Alfredii. ravenea glauca. cyphophoenix sp, Chambeyronia macrocarpa and a few more!

• Like 1

Is there a way to add or someone to contact?

I can give multiple species of palms that survived temperatures in the open during a 2011 event here in NM/El Paso area.  Rewrites known extremes for Washingtonia, date palms, trachy survival.  Some are actually covered on palmtalk.

I am talking double digit below zero cold on back to back nights kind of stuff.

Edited by jwitt
Cleared up sentence
  • Like 1

@kinzyjr I can also provide some data. Last winters coldest temperature -0.9c/30.38f, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana in ground no damage, Archontophoenix alexandrae in a pot no damage (the only damage so far this year its sustained is sunburn from the UV was increasing in March and its only about 2-3ft tall), Syagrus romanzoffiana no damage, Chrysalidocarpus onilahensis no damage. The temperature these palms saw though was slightly higher than that though because they are in a microclimate.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jwitt said:

Is there a way to add or someone to contact?

I can give multiple species of palms that survived temperatures in the open during a 2011 event here in NM/El Paso area.  Rewrites known extremes for Washingtonia, date palms, trachy survival.  Some are actually covered on palmtalk.

I am talking double digit below zero cold on back to back nights kind of stuff.

If you post them here or links to the other threads and comments you are referring to on PalmTalk, I'll gladly add them when I get a chance.

That area is known to get desert palms through some insanely low temperatures.  None of those would ever survive those temperatures here.

22 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

@kinzyjr I can also provide some data. Last winters coldest temperature -0.9c/30.38f, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana in ground no damage, Archontophoenix alexandrae in a pot no damage (the only damage so far this year its sustained is sunburn from the UV was increasing in March and its only about 2-3ft tall), Syagrus romanzoffiana no damage, Chrysalidocarpus onilahensis no damage. The temperature these palms saw though was slightly higher than that though because they are in a microclimate.

A few questions:

• Is this directly in London?
  • Do you happen to have a few more days weather records on hand? 

Just some highs and lows help everyone see how cool tolerant the palms are as well as the ultimate lows.

Thank you for contributing!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

22 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

That area is known to get desert palms through some insanely low temperatures.  None of those would ever survive those temperatures here

Rain, freezing rain, snow, and -5f wind event.  2/2011. Total defoliation.  

as Cruces, NM 

5 years later

20170815_152810.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

A few questions:

• Is this directly in London?
  • Do you happen to have a few more days weather records on hand? 

Just some highs and lows help everyone see how cool tolerant the palms are as well as the ultimate lows.

Thank you for contributing!

Yes in central London.  Jan average high 9c/48f with a low of 5c/41f. Last winter though we had an abnormal amount of nights with clear skies in January.  In February it was 11c with a low of 5.5c.  You can also add howea forsteriana and Rhopalostylis sapida if you want as no damage.  If you can find the temperature data for la morran gardens and the tresco abbey gardens you could also add in the parajubaea cocoides, archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Rhopalostylis sapida, and phoenix roebelenii there and the archontophoenix Alexandrae, multiple archontophoenix cunninghamiana and howea forsteriana at Tresco. The Scilly isles have an average high of 10c with a low of 7c in the winter. I didn't have the weather station back then but the coldest the queen palm has seen Is -2.9c in February 2021 bare in mind that thermometer that recorded that was in the coldest part of the garden not where the queen palm is though so probably closer to to -2c. This will be the archontophoenix cunninghamiana's second winter. 

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@jwitt + @Foxpalms

Thank you for the information.  These observations are now added to the database.

202211271020_ColdHardinessMasterData.xlsx

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jwitt said:

Are these Washingtonia filifera?  robusta?  filibusta?

Lakeland, FL

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2022 at 10:20 PM, jwitt said:

Rain, freezing rain, snow, and -5f wind event.  2/2011. Total defoliation.  

as Cruces, NM 

5 years later

20170815_152810.jpg

I stayed here once years ago. I didn't notice the Phoenix, it's pretty cool that's able to survive there. 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

15 minutes ago, fr8train said:

I stayed here once years ago. I didn't notice the Phoenix, it's pretty cool that's able to survive there. 

Not uncommon in Las Cruces. Both dates and CIDP. 

Some are even being attempted in ABQ.  

Screenshot_20230527-145544.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Not uncommon in Las Cruces. Both dates and CIDP. 

Some are even being attempted in ABQ.  

Screenshot_20230527-145544.png

Is that photo from Albuquerque? I spent a week out there last year and I remembered seeing a house that had them. I was wondering how they did in winter. I don't really think Phoenix can make it where I am, other than CIDP, so that's impressive. It being so dry helps I suppose, from what I've read on here. 

Edited by fr8train

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

Yes, ABQ

Third winter I believe.  The roots are surely in water(water table).  

Add a degree or two 

This winterScreenshot_20230530-150723.thumb.png.b2d0e53b8c91840e930be536d8222e4e.png

Previous winterScreenshot_20230530-151516.thumb.png.24ead2edf3150ec27d224d385beb4482.png

Edited by jwitt
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

That area of Southern New Mexico has seen some very cold weather (at times).  Subzero temps have been seen, yet most of the palms always seem to bounce back from any brief cold periods.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm probably just missing this information somewhere, so I apologize.  I have 5 Cycas revoluta, Trachy f., Sabal m., Beaucarnea recurvata, Psidium cattleyanum in Washington, DC.  I'd love to contribute to the hardiness data, as I think my location pushes the limits on many of these.  I also have a weather station, and I keep accurate data on a daily basis.

Where can I add to the hardiness data being collected?

3 hours ago, jwf1983 said:

I'm probably just missing this information somewhere, so I apologize.  I have 5 Cycas revoluta, Trachy f., Sabal m., Beaucarnea recurvata, Psidium cattleyanum in Washington, DC.  I'd love to contribute to the hardiness data, as I think my location pushes the limits on many of these.  I also have a weather station, and I keep accurate data on a daily basis.

@jwf1983 The Freeze Damage Data forum  sorts alphabetically I believe. The best thing to do is look for an existing thread for the palm you’d like to add data for and post detailed info there. If you find there is not an existing thread for a given species then create a new thread for it. @kinzyjr curates this thing so he may have a better answer for you. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jwf1983 said:

Thank you @jwf1983 and @D. Morrowii for the offer and advice, respectively.  If anyone would like to expedite their observations being added to this sheet, please feel free to utilize the attached template: 20231005_PalmObservationsTemplate.xls.  A few hints to help out when using the template:

1. Please don't concern yourself with the Observation ID.  This column's value is auto-generated in the database.
  2. The format of the PalmObs and CycadObs sheets is identical.  Both are included for easy separation of observations.
  3. The Palm_ID and Cycad_ID can be determined by using the Cycads_tbl and/or Palms_tbl sheets.  Lookup the species and use the ID given.
  4. Can't find your species in the Palms_tbl or Cycads_tbl sheets?  Check the Synonyms_tbl sheet.
  5. Still can't find it?  Type the species name in the Description area inside of square brackets [Genus species 'variety'].  It may have to be added to the list and given an ID.
  6. Use the Damage_tbl to assess what value to report in the Damage column.
  7. Did your report come from an event already listed?  Check the Events_tbl.  If not, an Event can be added.  Just add a description in your post.

20231005_UsingColdHardinessReportTemplate.thumb.jpg.b1adfae1e0156300c6e2731ed3cc63ee.jpg

20231005_PalmObservationsTemplate.xlsx

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2023 at 9:05 AM, jwf1983 said:

20231005_PalmObservationsTemplate.xlsx Updated with information on Cycas rev and Ravenea rivularis observed during November 29, 2023 event with minimum temp of 26.1F (-3.27C).

These entries are now included in the Cold Hardiness Master Data update attached to this post.

202312100000_ColdHardinessMasterData.xlsx

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL