IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Opinion on certain Palms

shep1696

Hello everyone, and thank you for allowing me to be a part of this group. My name is John and I'm relatively new to growing palms (or tying to..lol). I live in Bay City MI. I currently have 6 Chamaedorea Elegan's (Neanthe Bella Palm) that are growing like crazy. I know these are pretty easy to grow and for a beginner like me I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I've recently started some Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis ( Bottle Palm) seeds, as well as some Psychotria Eleta's (Hot Lip's). I also have an order of Coco's Nucifera( coconut palms), Bismarcka Nobilis (Bismarck Palm's), and last but not least Crytostachys Renda (Lipstick Palm's). My questions are With the winter weather approaching should I wait to plant the rest or will they grow indoors? How long will it take for all of these to germinate?( they've only been in for 2 weeks at this point). I've made some homemade fertilizer containing Epsom salt, ammonia, and baking soda. Do recommend using this or should I go another route and just buy some? Thank you for your time, and Happy growing. :)

Edited by shep1696

No John welcome to the addition. In bay city Michigan you have no choice but to bring everything indoors no Palm will thrive outdoors during winter for you. Same as me zone 6b 

you will have to do your research on caring for palms indoors. I myself have a post on indoor palm care and a video on my setup to help you. You can germinate seedlings all year long for sure. Put them outside in summer and make room for them in the winter. I have a whole room just for my palms. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the information. Your grow room is similar to the one I'd like as well. Thank you so much for the video and your time.

John, Welcome to Palmtalk !   I would suggest that you try different species, ones known to work as indoor plants.  :)

The ones you mentioned, Cocos, Bismarckia, and Hyophorbe all require high light levels, very difficult indoors.  You can have potted palms outdoors in the summer and then more successfully over-winter them indoors.  Try Howea, Chamaedorea pinnatifrons, or Lyytocaryum (Syagrus) weddelianum.

Send me your mailing address via PM and I will ship you a 1-leaf seedling of Howea forsteriana.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

A great resource for LED grow lights is (of course) Amazon. High output, low wattage. My palm in my office with no window is growing well- of course I get a few cracks weekly about my grow light ("what're you growing, maaaannn?") lol

Another great indoor palm, like Darold's Kentia, is Rhapis excelsa, also known as Kanonchiku. A lot of times you can find these on Ebay if you search "Variegated Rhapis"

Welcome to Palmtalk!

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

LOL. I appreciate the info. I have a mini greenhouse that I put all my plants in on a daily basis. They seem to be doing pretty good. But I do have the question of  "What are you growing John?" LOL And then I let them take a peak. This is all new to me. I stopped drinking 104 days ago as of today and needed to find something to do to keep my mind straight. So I figured lets grow some palms..lol

If you think you will become seriously "into" palms, I suggest you buy "Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms" by Riffle, Craft & Zona. It will teach you a lot of info specifically about palms, which are not "true trees" in the conventional sense. It will also introduce you to the concept of scientific names, which most serious palm lovers converse in. The internet is a valuable resource but I also keep my encyclopedia close at hand - you can't beat a good book. I was clueless when I joined PT in 2008 and saw people tossing around Latin names. I got that book and began educating myself. Fanciful "common names" like "Happy Palm" may be cute, confusing and ultimately useless.

I don't drink and have been told by doctors not to because I get debilitating migraines. My palms bring me joy and leave no hangovers. Welcome to PalmTalk. Hope you stick around.

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the input Meg.  I greatly appreciate it. I've ordered some books online and have been reading them. Very interesting info in them. One that I haven't received yet is " Your Ultimate Palm Tree handbook" by Darla Wotherspoon. I will definitely look into ordering an Encyclopedia as you suggest. Now if I could get these mushrooms to stop growing in my plants I'd be happy. .lol. Thank you for the welcoming me to the group. Happy growing :)

If you are getting mushrooms growing in your pots, you are overwatering your plants. Overwatering kills more plants than underwatering. Also, make sure your potting mix drains very fast. Many of us add extra perlite, pumice or other stuff to increase drainage. Never use cheap potting soil or top soil without amending it or your substrate will turn to muck and suffocate roots of plants. Water when the top inch of so in the pots is dry.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you very much for the info. I've only been watering them once a week and still seem to get those mushrooms every now and then. I've recently went out and bought some Coco coir and perlite. But I don't want to transplant them because I'm concerned they may die. I'm thinking about saving it for all the other plants that are just now sprouting.

20190918_201151.jpg

20190918_201245.jpg

Shep, those tiny seedings are in pots way too large.  They need smaller pots so that they get a better balance of moisture and aeration.  Pots too large will sour the medium because they don't dry out quickly enough.  If you are getting fungal bodies and/or fungus gnats then your medium is too wet.  :)  

Appreciate you letting me know. Do you think I should put them in a smaller pot and just transplant them then? Or will the shock kill them?

Edited by shep1696

On 9/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, Darold Petty said:

J

Send me your mailing address via PM and I will ship you a 1-leaf seedling of Howea forsteriana.

Sent today by  priority mail, a small plant and two sprouted seeds.  John after these grow up to about 12-inches tall you can pot all three into one pot to achieve a more full look. 

Sorry, but it seems my new desktop PC won't load the image.  :mellow: 

Ok, here is a resize, as per Dean's suggestion !  This is the Howea seeding and two sprouted seeds sent to Bay City,  today.   

IMG_0188.JPG