IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of the Myrtle Beach Area

DAVEinMB

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Whoa! :drool:

The number of fronds for a Canary that far north is astonishing. Augusta definitely has the heat to do it. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 7:06 AM, NickJames said:

I lived in Augusta in basically the worst few years possible. We had an ice storm (very devastating, really damaged Augusta National trees), a snow storm, and record cold. I remember standing outside reporting for the local FOX affiliate and my mouth could barely move. I believe it got down to 12 or 15, something crazy.

12-15 is exactly average for Augusta  The 30 year average low is zone 8a or 10-15F.  Admittedly, most of the SE has been warmer than that recently, but that is the average.  It's not crazy cold for there.

Edited by NBTX11
  • Upvote 1

On 6/18/2021 at 3:55 PM, teddytn said:

Yeah honestly, I have a super soft spot for Panama City Beach, we usually end up there. I love palmettos, but that’s really all you’ll really see. There’s a big CIDP at an intersection west of Panama City beach on front beach road. Pier Park the outdoor mall has some different species, but honestly pales in comparison to the pics you’ve posted. 

I was in PCB last year and saw all kinds of palms that were not palmettos.  I saw tall Washingtonias, dates, and other hardy palms.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

12-15 is exactly average for Augusta  The 30 year average low is zone 8a or 10-15F.  Admittedly, most of the SE has been warmer than that recently, but that is the average.  It's not crazy cold for there.

The average min for Augusta now is 16(based on the 1991-2020 data that just came out) so that's a colder 8b.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emman said:

The average min for Augusta now is 16(based on the 1991-2020 data that just came out) so that's a colder 8b.

OK that's a little better, however 12-15 is not abnormal, it's still fairly normal, if slightly below average.  That was my overall point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

I was in PCB last year and saw all kinds of palms that were not palmettos.  I saw tall Washingtonias, dates, and other hardy palms.

For sure there’s all kinds of plantings outside hotels with sagos and some trachys. At pier park I remember seeing needle palm, saw palmetto, some Sabal minors, I think Chinese fan palm maybe. That big CIDP near Rosemary beach. Of course at peoples houses they have all kinds of palms planted as well. Sorry I made it sound like there were only palmettos. Let me try again please, if you drive from St. Andrews park west and hop on front beach drive until it ends in Sunnyside 90% of all the palms you’ll see on the strip are palmettos. My point was it just seems weird, that the strip in Myrtle Beach has way more diversity than what I’ve seen in PCB. I must be blind I swear I’ve never seen a washie, I must have been there 15-18 times over the years…or I was more focused on the sights at ground level if you know what I mean lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

For sure there’s all kinds of plantings outside hotels with sagos and some trachys. At pier park I remember seeing needle palm, saw palmetto, some Sabal minors, I think Chinese fan palm maybe. That big CIDP near Rosemary beach. Of course at peoples houses they have all kinds of palms planted as well. Sorry I made it sound like there were only palmettos. Let me try again please, if you drive from St. Andrews park west and hop on front beach drive until it ends in Sunnyside 90% of all the palms you’ll see on the strip are palmettos. My point was it just seems weird, that the strip in Myrtle Beach has way more diversity than what I’ve seen in PCB. I must be blind I swear I’ve never seen a washie, I must have been there 15-18 times over the years…or I was more focused on the sights at ground level if you know what I mean lol

On Thomas Dr by the Navy base, there is an RV park that has dozens and dozens of tall Washingtonia Robusta. I’m going off memory here, but that’s what I remember. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

I guess I should’ve clarified that it was crazy for me because I’m from Florida. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Dave, we'll stop by the Doc's house tomorrow & you can get a bunch of photo's.

Woohoo! :D

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here's some more CIDP to help fight the Monday blues. Not the biggest but they look happy. This is the bonefish grill on 74th Ave N in Myrtle. I've posted pics earlier in this thread of the bonefish on the north end, that one has like 10 CIDP on their property. 

20210726_122944.jpg

20210726_122917.jpg

20210726_123004.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 6:53 AM, climate change virginia said:

I live in the southern suburbs of DC and most of our winters are 8a winters we rarely get anything below 10f in the past decade I think new hardiness maps are coming out in 2035 so I guess we'll see where we end up.

I didn't read the dates and I was about to be excited that I was 8B now LOL :floor:

Just wanted to comment on the Washys on the first page...

I saw 1 Robusta in there, all the rest look like hybrids.

When I spent a lot of time out in Az I noticed that the Robusta and Filifera all shed

their boot jacks quickly whereas the hybrids hold on to them much longer...even 

the one in the first picture that looks like Robusta appears to have had them removed.

There are obviously varying degrees as to which traits show up and how much Filifera and Robusta come through.

Nice pics!:greenthumb:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Just wanted to comment on the Washys on the first page...

I saw 1 Robusta in there, all the rest look like hybrids.

When I spent a lot of time out in Az I noticed that the Robusta and Filifera all shed

their boot jacks quickly whereas the hybrids hold on to them much longer...even 

the one in the first picture that looks like Robusta appears to have had them removed.

There are obviously varying degrees as to which traits show up and how much Filifera and Robusta come through.

Nice pics!:greenthumb:

Yea from what people say most of all commercially available washies are a cross to some degree. I'm not good enough to tell the difference if the cross is slight. 

I was under the impression that old boots had to manually be removed because no washies are self scrubbing?

The ones I saw in the desert if pure Robusta or Filibusta lost their boot jacks quickly 

compared to the hybrids :DI would think Washys grown out of the desert in

wetter places would lose them quicker???  but maybe its the expansion and contraction of the trunks

in arid regions that makes the boot jacks fall off quicker,I would think the wetter

weather would rot them off quicker...:36_14_15[1]:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

The ones I saw in the desert if pure Robusta or Filibusta lost their boot jacks quickly 

compared to the hybrids :DI would think Washys grown out of the desert in

wetter places would lose them quicker???  but maybe its the expansion and contraction of the trunks

in arid regions that makes the boot jacks fall off quicker,I would think the wetter

weather would rot them off quicker...:36_14_15[1]:

Hmm, I just looked it up and sure enough they start to self scrub once they reach a height of around 30 feet. Always thought they retained them. Well good deal, i like to keep learning while my brain still absorbs info :D

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RJ said:

Not in Myrtle Beach but greater Columbia. Right down the road from my folks place. 

DF094806-8CE1-4FBE-B74A-CA0AF09017B0.jpeg

Love how canary leaflets look like they're floating around an invisible rachis

Also, nice find :shaka-2:

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

It sure did!

Great selection and great people :shaka-2:

Shoot me a message if you wanna add any Cyperus Alternifolius to your landscaping, I'm pretty much propagating them around the clock. 

4 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Love how canary leaflets look like they're floating around an invisible rachis

Also, nice find :shaka-2:

There are some dates close to the lake too, as well as tall robusta’s. Slowly folks are warming up to palms on the area 

15 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Great selection and great people :shaka-2:

Shoot me a message if you wanna add any Cyperus Alternifolius to your landscaping, I'm pretty much propagating them around the clock. 

Yes! They are good people. And I will let you know if I want any C. Alternifolius!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 9:50 PM, RJ said:

Not in Myrtle Beach but greater Columbia. Right down the road from my folks place. 

DF094806-8CE1-4FBE-B74A-CA0AF09017B0.jpeg

Where is this exactly? Irmo? 

There are some CIDP’s around the Cola area, albeit rare. 

Has anyone seen the pair of Phoenix Dactyliferas near Lake Murray just off of highway 6? I haven’t seen them in almost 3 years but I can almost assure you they’re still alive. They made it through some icky winters and are well placed (small brick building blocks NW winds). I almost did cartwheels in my car seat when I saw them for the first time. As far as the SE goes, I think Phoenix Dactyliferas are slightly better suited than CIDP’s. They both don’t like abundant humidity and water but overall the Dactyliferas are slightly more cold hardy. 

On 10/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, smithgn said:

Where is this exactly? Irmo? 

There are some CIDP’s around the Cola area, albeit rare. 

Has anyone seen the pair of Phoenix Dactyliferas near Lake Murray just off of highway 6? I haven’t seen them in almost 3 years but I can almost assure you they’re still alive. They made it through some icky winters and are well placed (small brick building blocks NW winds). I almost did cartwheels in my car seat when I saw them for the first time. As far as the SE goes, I think Phoenix Dactyliferas are slightly better suited than CIDP’s. They both don’t like abundant humidity and water but overall the Dactyliferas are slightly more cold hardy. 

This is in Chapin. I have seen a few dactyliferas around as well. I would try one but it’s hard to get the real deal. I planted a mule at my folks place, about 200 yards from this palm. I believe these to be P. Dactyliferas

90DCFB5E-35C4-4C86-B2D5-73C21F22F5C0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RJ said:

This is in Chapin. I have seen a few dactyliferas around as well. I would try one but it’s hard to get the real deal. I planted a mule at my folks place, about 200 yards from this palm. I believe these to be P. Dactyliferas

90DCFB5E-35C4-4C86-B2D5-73C21F22F5C0.jpeg

These look like Sylvestris or some sort of hybrid. Fronds aren't showing the stiffness or color you'd expect with Dactylifera 

38 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

These look like Sylvestris or some sort of hybrid. Fronds aren't showing the stiffness or color you'd expect with Dactylifera 

Perhaps I’m not well versed on my Phoenix ssp…:unsure: