IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard/Landscaping Progress

DAVEinMB

That's some kind of a deciduous clematis (at least it would be deciduous here).  I have one that looks similar although it's not flowering now.  It's also small since I neglected to plant it last year when I bought it.  I love vines, they're so versatile.  Great for filling vertical space without requiring much width.  

Mine are only a year old, I believe they're a heat/humidity-loving vine so they don't grow quickly for me.  My wife loves them so much she stole the first one I bought for my garden and I ended up having to put it on her side of the house.  

Pergolas make great spaces.  For me gardening is all about creating an effect and a vine covered arbor/pergola/structure does that perfectly, it takes you to another place.  So I love your idea.  I need to do something similar. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

That's some kind of a deciduous clematis (at least it would be deciduous here).  I have one that looks similar although it's not flowering now.  It's also small since I neglected to plant it last year when I bought it.  I love vines, they're so versatile.  Great for filling vertical space without requiring much width.  

Mine are only a year old, I believe they're a heat/humidity-loving vine so they don't grow quickly for me.  My wife loves them so much she stole the first one I bought for my garden and I ended up having to put it on her side of the house.  

Pergolas make great spaces.  For me gardening is all about creating an effect and a vine covered arbor/pergola/structure does that perfectly, it takes you to another place.  So I love your idea.  I need to do something similar. 

Jesse they do just fine here. Yours needs to get established. Mine are huge and will swallow whole trees if I’m not on top of them. . Every couple years I go in and cut them to the ground and on top of that I have to still have to prune. I didn’t plant them they came with the home.

As well there is some sort of clematis society and garden here in Portland.  

When I lived in the PNW (Bellingham, WA) clematis was a mainstay, and performed beautifully. Like Jesse, I appreciate how much they add to the garden with virtually no footprint. I like how they contribute some grace and flow to what might otherwise be stiff, regimented landscapes. In addition to the showy, deciduous types, C. armandii, with its handsome evergreen foliage and profuse, fragrant white flowers is a winner. There's also a pink form; 'Appleblossom' is nice.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Gotta say, these are proving to be tough palms

Lytocaryum Hoehnei 

20220718_043415.jpg

How hardy are those as they are really nice looking palms? If I can find one I might try one. Could they handle average winter highs of 50f with a low of 42f and a minimum temperature in the in the low 30s or high 20s maybe mid 20s (26f) on a bad winter once every 10 years?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

How hardy are those as they are really nice looking palms? If I can find one I might try one. Could they handle average winter highs of 50f with a low of 42f and a minimum temperature in the in the low 30s or high 20s maybe mid 20s (26f) on a bad winter once every 10 years?

I don't know for sure but I would be willing to try one in your climate. This one has seen a low of 19F (covered) and a high somewhere near 100F and has taken both sides in stride

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAVEinMB said:

I don't know for sure but I would be willing to try one in your climate. This one has seen a low of 19F (covered) and a high somewhere near 100F and has taken both sides in stride

That's good to know it probably won't ever go to 19f here but it was 104f on Tuesday. Another thing we have to cope with is long periods of cool winter weather luckily not cold though. I will try and see if there are any growing in Tasmania or southern New Zealand as that's usually a good indication they can tolerate cool weather. The hardest part is finding one for sale though here!

Someone on here posted their Lytocaryum hoehnei after it had gone through I believe 16f.  Here's the thread 

That's what prompted me to buy some from Floribunda.  I'm sure it couldn't handle that all the time but that sure puts it in the "cold hardy" genre.  It really needs to be hybridized with Butia or JubaeaxButia.  It is an elegant looking understory palm and one of my favorite.  

Dave I love seeing updates on your wonderful place there in SC.  I've only been to Myrtle Beach once, family and I stopped in the tea plantation and did the beach thing and that was it for the weekend, I'll have to spend more time there next time I'm in the Carolinas.  Which may be next year!

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 3

ILOST MY WRAPPED ONES TO 17f ONE NIGHT ABOUT 4FT TALL. NOT A 8B PALM. maybe as hardy as a queen.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

13 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

ILOST MY WRAPPED ONES TO 17f ONE NIGHT ABOUT 4FT TALL. NOT A 8B PALM. maybe as hardy as a queen.

Were they planted in a protected spot? I covered both of mine for back to back weekends of 19F and freezing rain then snow. They are both pushing new growth this season

13 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Dave I love seeing updates on your wonderful place there in SC.  I've only been to Myrtle Beach once, family and I stopped in the tea plantation and did the beach thing and that was it for the weekend, I'll have to spend more time there next time I'm in the Carolinas.  Which may be next year!

Thanks man! I'm gonna keep pushing my climate boundaries as much as my "experiments" allow haha. I've definitely been surprised thus far with a lot of things I've planted but then again I haven't gotten slapped with a real bad winter yet

Oh and the next time you find yourself in Myrtle gimme a yell. I'd be happy to show you around my place

Edited by DAVEinMB

27 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

If it's as hardy as a queen it will have no problems here then  as long as they can tolerate cool weather in the winter like queen's.

@Foxpalms wet is apparently an issue for them.  I think one of the most succesful Lytocaryum growers that I know of is Pal Meir, he has his own soil mixture that lots of us have tried to copy with locally available materials. 

• Like 1

@Jesse PNWluckily in London it's not particularly wet despite the common perception though the soil in winter can stay quite damp since there isn't enough heat to quickly dry to soil out. I usually use compost, cocofibre, horticultural sand, perlite and vermiculite with mulch as I find it dries to soil out faster but still can hold some moisture. Thanks for the link, I will have a look through there to see what type of soil works best. There were some for sale in the UK but of course as I go to try and buy one out of stock typical hopefully I can't find one for sale!

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Were they planted in a protected spot? I covered both of mine for back to back weekends of 19F and freezing rain then snow. They are both pushing new growth this season

No they were pretty exposed. they just had the top covered, it was suppose to be a light freeze, but the forecast busted. Must have been 2017.

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

No they were pretty exposed. they just had the top covered, it was suppose to be a light freeze, but the forecast busted. Must have been 2017.

Damn, that sucks man I'm sorry to hear it. I have 2, one is up against the house (pic above) and the other is under pretty heavy canopy but isn't against a structure. The latter saw 25F (maybe 24F) unprotected 2 winters ago and didn't flinch. We also have miserable periods of cold temps coupled with rain during our winter months and it did fine. Both are planted in very sandy soil 

7 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Damn, that sucks man I'm sorry to hear it. I have 2, one is up against the house (pic above) and the other is under pretty heavy canopy but isn't against a structure. The latter saw 25F (maybe 24F) unprotected 2 winters ago and didn't flinch. We also have miserable periods of cold temps coupled with rain during our winter months and it did fine. Both are planted in very sandy soil 

Yours look nice. Jeff Marcus suggested them.  I want to plant them on my eastern foundation this time. Its the only area that is getting shade. I have a few surviving lady palms making a come back, that I think will look nice together. They both have tender meristems, but easy to cover up against the house.

• Like 1

Mine are all doing great. They are all about to flower & the only time they had spear pull was that one time they had to deal with the 16F temps. They haven't been protected since & have experienced mid to low 20's a few times with no issues at all.

• Like 1

I had a big one (4+ ft) die in the Texas freeze while wrapped up. It was in a pretty protected spot near the house. Some small ones with no trunk came back from the ground.

• 1 month later...

Bambusa Oldhamii update.

1st pic - February 2022 (ice storm aftermath) 

2nd pic - April 2022

3rd and 4th pics - August 2022

**looks like the pics order got reversed**

20220826_084129.jpg

20220826_084115.jpg

20220407_174632.jpg

20220216_172554.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Installed a new window in my kitchen today and thought I'd share the unobstructed view I had into my garden

Snapchat-2081511284.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 5

Got a picture-heavy end of season garden update coming at ya. 

First up, look what decided to send out spathes in October. 

20221019_141748.jpg

20221019_141810.jpg

20221019_141829.jpg

20221019_141913.jpg

20221019_141959.jpg

• Like 2

Phoenix hybrid after its 2nd winter in the ground. Minorish spear pull both winters but this season it put some size on. It's a cross between Dactylifera and Roebelenii but I can't remember what direction the cross was

20221019_173122.jpg

• Like 3

Livistona Decora is starting to put on some height, 2 winters in the ground. Spear pull its first winter, no drama this past one. 

20221019_173220.jpg

• Like 3

Those bigger Washy, Mules and Sabal are the stars! 

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Mystery date palm. This little guy came from the doc's yard in Charleston. Has somewhat floppy foliage and long leaflets.  Been in the ground through 1 winter

20221019_174037.jpg

20221019_174048.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Allen said:

Those bigger Washy, Mules and Sabal are the stars! 

Here's a couple more pics of them, everything has gotten pretty tall

20221019_173154.jpg

20221019_174207.jpg

• Like 2

yucca elephantipes about to go into its 4th winter in the ground and is looking pretty good

This image will not upload in the correct orientation. 

20221019_174323.jpg

Your palms are getting BIG.  Here is pic fixed

20221019_174323.thumb.jpg.6f4155f5a30d70b5db7a03b0ab726d9e.jpg

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F