IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard/Landscaping Progress

DAVEinMB

1 minute ago, DAVEinMB said:

How big was it for 80?

About 5-9 stalks in the pot. I split them up. I looked somewhere that they grow a meter a day.  240's not that bad though in hindsight looking at the volume you got. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bambooperson said:

About 5-9 stalks in the pot. I split them up. I looked somewhere that they grow a meter a day.  240's not that bad though in hindsight looking at the volume you got. 

Yea I wanted something that had some size to it already. Sometimes you gotta pay for time ya know. 

I see you're in Asheville, good luck with the oldhamii up there. My clump at roughly 15' tall with canes roughly 1"in diameter burned pretty good at 24F and it looks like the canes were killed at 19F

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yea I wanted something that had some size to it already. Sometimes you gotta pay for time ya know. 

I see you're in Asheville, good luck with the oldhamii up there. My clump at roughly 15' tall with canes roughly 1"in diameter burned pretty good at 24F and it looks like the canes were killed at 19F

Yea, i'm really hoping it's not going to be that cold here! The winters here are far more mild than they used to be and i'm in the valley which is pretty well insulated. 

• Like 1

You guys must just be in the zone where you can grow clumping bamboo.  Can't grow it here.  I looked up alphonse karr bamboo and while the minimum temp is 13F it says it likes to stay above 20F and some places say zone 9 while some say zone 8.  Fun fact I have a person in this town that lives in a subdivision but his property is 10 acres for some weird reason.  You go in the subdivision and see this driveway bordered by bamboo.  Drive down it and come out into a big area with his house and he grows 150 varieties of bamboo.  

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

28 minutes ago, Allen said:

You guys must just be in the zone where you can grow clumping bamboo.  Can't grow it here.  I looked up alphonse karr bamboo and while the minimum temp is 13F it says it likes to stay above 20F and some places say zone 9 while some say zone 8.  Fun fact I have a person in this town that lives in a subdivision but his property is 10 acres for some weird reason.  You go in the subdivision and see this driveway bordered by bamboo.  Drive down it and come out into a big area with his house and he grows 150 varieties of bamboo.  

I've seen some pretty big clumps of alphonse karr in the area so I should be safe with that variety. I really wish the oldhamii worked out, it was gorgeous. 

That sounds like some sort of wonderland!

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Mine is fine in zone 8 NC

• Like 1

Top picture taken March 24, 2020 after the first successful winter with my Trachy here on an island off the maine coast. The second photo on bottom is today after it’s third successful winter, it may still be 24 outside right now but the palms seem to be doing well. I added two more sabals next to the foundation where the two from last year seemed to survive with no spears pulled but the leaves did dry out, I’ll use something next year and see if it prevents that. One new needle palm was added also next to the old. The needle didn’t seem to be as enduring as the sabals were, I had spear pull from the main crown but four smaller shoots were successful with no spear pull. The agave did not make it. And one of my two yucca rostrata s didn’t make it either. Our cold wet winters are harsh however with cover overhead to keep most all water off like with the trachy seems to be the right way to go to endure them here.

F418425B-CE6C-458C-AE53-AA406722C6FF.jpeg

7A5259AB-3AEB-4C78-9899-5EF3AA5E9226.jpeg

0BEC2467-441E-43CA-BE2D-90CE1BE61F82.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Brandon James said:

Top picture taken March 24, 2020 after the first successful winter with my Trachy here on an island off the maine coast. The second photo on bottom is today after it’s third successful winter, it may still be 24 outside right now but the palms seem to be doing well. I added two more sabals next to the foundation where the two from last year seemed to survive with no spears pulled but the leaves did dry out, I’ll use something next year and see if it prevents that. One new needle palm was added also next to the old. The needle didn’t seem to be as enduring as the sabals were, I had spear pull from the main crown but four smaller shoots were successful with no spear pull. The agave did not make it. And one of my two yucca rostrata s didn’t make it either. Our cold wet winters are harsh however with cover overhead to keep most all water off like with the trachy seems to be the right way to go to endure them here.

F418425B-CE6C-458C-AE53-AA406722C6FF.jpeg

7A5259AB-3AEB-4C78-9899-5EF3AA5E9226.jpeg

0BEC2467-441E-43CA-BE2D-90CE1BE61F82.jpeg

That's some good stuff right there.... just doesn't look very much like my yard :P

Here's some updates on the pathway leading to my front door. C. Radicalis and Microspadix seem to be enjoying their siting as is a small R. Excelsa clump. I've added a bunch of filler plants (liriope, foxtail and holly fern, cast iron plants, ground cover vine, cordyline, purple hearts, and some other grasses,etc) as well as a few fruit trees - avocado, loquat, and grapefruit. The avocado and loquat came from big box and the grapefruit was germinated from seed from a piece of fruit off @Laaz tree in Charleston. My goal is to eventually have fruit tree canopy leading to the front door.

Bunch of pics - enjoy

Loquat first

20220407_103230.jpg

20220407_103240.jpg

20220407_103305.jpg

20220407_103317.jpg

20220410_115630.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

What mahonia is that?

Was labeled as mahonia x media marvel

Edited by DAVEinMB

Dave, I always enjoy watching your progress on your yard and the choices you make. I like everything but in particular the chamaedorea. It's such an elegant palm, and its size makes it versatile. The tropical atmosphere is nearly complete. Have you considered installing a hidden speaker that produces jungle squawks and screams?

• Like 2

@Manalto thanks James! I'm happy with the majority of the choices I've made haha. Chamaedorea are definitely one of my favorite genus that I can grow here, and for sure super versatile. I've had my eye on some speakers that look like rocks for a bit just haven't pulled the trigger yet. This year has been focused on a lot of fillers and ground cover but speakers and accent lighting isn't far behind :D

17 minutes ago, Laaz said:

You do know avocado's get very large & need a pollinator to produce fruit right?

I bought it on a whim and threw it in the ground haha. I mean it can be pruned right? It's got plenty of room upwards, it's just gonna be tight for the first 10 feet or so

Do you remembers the Doc's downtown? It is over two stories tall & about as wide. The trunk is probably 24" diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess a high teens shock just makes everything flower

rhapis excelsa 

20220502_233502.jpg

20220502_233525.jpg

20220502_233635.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Really didn't want to take this much off but 90% of it was completely burned from this past winter

31 fronds later...

20220530_175530.jpg

20220530_175907.jpg

20220530_175535.jpg

20220530_175913.jpg

20220530_175948.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well against the odds my monstera deliciosa came back from freezing rain and 2 dips to 19F. First pic is February and the other pics are how it looks today. 

20220212_123437.jpg

20220622_160810.jpg

20220622_160823.jpg

20220622_160835.jpg

• Like 2

2 year update on the yucca cane, no protection this past winter

Edited by DAVEinMB

• 2 weeks later...

Let's bring in July with more night shots. Everything is looking pretty good coming into summer

20220703_025723.jpg

20220703_030000.jpg

20220703_030618.jpg

20220703_033433.jpg

20220703_034450.jpg

20220701_215511.jpg

• Like 6

Holy canoli, daytime pics! 

First 3 are of the mules in the remaining 2 planters. These were planted as 7 gallon back in 2020. The last is Livistona Decora, I can't remember if it was a 1 or 3 gallon but it's been in the ground through 2 winters. 

20220705_152611.jpg

20220705_152618.jpg

20220705_152627.jpg

20220705_152654.jpg

• Like 1

Here's something a little different. I'm repurposing this greenhouse frame to act as a shade house / walkway. I picked up some confederate jasmine and I'm gonna let it do its thing. To give it more surface area to grab I plan on adding stainless wire (or something similar) to span the gaps

20220707_194220.jpg

20220707_194230.jpg

20220707_194246.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is wonderful.  Mine is blooming now.  Even though I know it's there, the fragrance still catches me by surprise when I walk through the garden of an evening.  Mine is still very small.  Looking forward to seeing how quickly yours grows.  And the overall effect. 

20 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Here's something a little different. I'm repurposing this greenhouse frame to act as a shade house / walkway. I picked up some confederate jasmine and I'm gonna let it do its thing. To give it more surface area to grab I plan on adding stainless wire (or something similar) to span the gaps

It has begun...

beesbig.jpg.358738a535183cb1db637c6d4e91a5c2.jpg

1 hour ago, The7thLegend said:

It has begun...

beesbig.jpg.358738a535183cb1db637c6d4e91a5c2.jpg

Oh no.... am I creating the tunnel of doom?

10 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is wonderful.  Mine is blooming now.  Even though I know it's there, the fragrance still catches me by surprise when I walk through the garden of an evening.  Mine is still very small.  Looking forward to seeing how quickly yours grows.  And the overall effect. 

How long have you had yours planted? My understanding is they grow pretty fast. I'm trying to add depth to the landscaping with more than just palms and I got this idea from a vineyard in town. They have a pergola that's been overtaken by vines (not sure what type) and it always catches my eye when I'm up there. 

20220423_132806.jpg

20220423_132758.jpg

20220423_132721.jpg

20220423_132637.jpg