IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard/Landscaping Progress

DAVEinMB

1 hour ago, The7thLegend said:

Looks rough now but you know it'll be fine and look normal in no time.

Yea I suspect it's just cosmetic but I have no easy way of getting in there to check the spear. That's an evil, evil palm.

45 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@DAVEinMB I guess I missed it but how was the Allagoptera protected?  Also - where did you source it?  Seems they're hard to find and not cheap.  

All I did was throw a garbage bag over it, no added heat. I sourced that one from Texas Cold Hardy Palms, I wanna say it was like 100 bucks for a 3 gallon. I miss that place, great selection and pricing. I'd be willing to beat that Phil over at jungle music has some and he ships

Well you made it.  Your mules are looking superb!  Shame on the Phoenix.  ice sucks.  I was cringing when I saw all the plastic bags on the palms but you had so many already done I didn't have the guts to say anything.  Plastic bags can be ok if they are only used overnight and don't directly touch any fronds (ie palm wrapped underneath in burlap, blanket, etc. 

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Well you made it.  Your mules are looking superb!  Shame on the Phoenix.  ice sucks.  I was cringing when I saw all the plastic bags on the palms but you had so many already done I didn't have the guts to say anything.  Plastic bags can be ok if they are only used overnight and don't directly touch any fronds (ie palm wrapped underneath in burlap, blanket, etc. 

Thanks brother! I'm super surprised with how the mules handled everything; definitely tough palms. I'm disappointed in myself with the plastic bags. My initial plan was to just cover for the night but the forecast was calling for additional rain and a temperature drop so I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave them on until things leveled out... well I was wrong. Live and learn

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How did the Lyto's do over the winter? Lowest here was 23F for a few hours one night & they unfazed. Mine actually look like they grew quite a bit.

Edited by Laaz

23 minutes ago, Laaz said:

How did the Lyto's do over the winter? Lowest here was 23F for a few hours one night & they unfazed. Mine actually look like they grew quite a bit.

Man I was starting to think you went off the grid lol. They did remarkably well, somehow no burn at 19F. I did have them covered during the freezing rain event so at least they didn't see any of that directly. I got pics of how they look towards the bottom of page 9

• Like 1

Couple of minor updates. 

Surprised to report that one of my stromanthe triostars survived freezing rain and 19F with no protection

One of the clumps of variegated ginger also survived with no protection. 

20220302_164729.jpg

20220302_164742.jpg

20220302_164901.jpg

20220302_170745.jpg

20220302_170753.jpg

• Like 3

I've looked at your post before but never commented on how nice it looks .

Good job . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

I've looked at your post before but never commented on how nice it looks .

Good job . 

Thanks Will! Always nice to hear :D

Was doing some spring cleaning around the yard today so thought I'd share a few pics. 

C. Humilis has been steadily picking up speed each year. Excuse the weeds, pics were taken before I got rid of them. While I was removing suckers I snapped a pic of the inside of the crown as well

20220303_132742.jpg

20220303_154706.jpg

• Like 4

I've decided I'm going to relocate the Sylvester and revisit how the planters are constructed. I started getting it ready for the move and got rid of most of the dead foliage. This allowed me to get a look at the new spear and all in all it looks pretty good. Gotta love the color of the petioles

20220303_135359.jpg

20220303_170601.jpg

20220303_170634.jpg

20220303_170645.jpg

• Like 2

I removed the California elephant ear clump I had planted against my house after a botched attempt to clean it up as well as news that I got something much better to take its place

20220303_181224.jpg

20220303_181233.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A wet and windy day becomes a cold, wet, and windy night. Nothing like a 45 degree temperature drop after rain. 

I covered small stuff with buckets and wrapped Christmas lights around both lytos and a couple of the queens.

Hopefully this is the last dip of the season but it could be worse, at least there's no freezing rain this time...

Screenshot_20220312-195121_Chrome.jpg

20220312_193220.jpg

20220312_193813.jpg

20220312_193900.jpg

20220312_193745.jpg

20220312_193730.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 2

Welp, back to the drawing board for where I can move the Sylvester. 

Had the spot marked, dug the hole, removed the last bit of irrigation system, added a valve to the feed line, then put water in the hole to test drainage. Last pic is this morning... area does not drain

20220315_100622.jpg

20220315_100631.jpg

20220315_111353.jpg

20220315_123153.jpg

20220315_123159.jpg

20220315_131322.jpg

20220315_135036.jpg

20220315_135054.jpg

20220316_115840.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Dave,  you might want to look up the pros and cons of using play sand in the garden.  Its not like regular sand.  Play sand is bad for drainage problems, it holds to much water.  Look it up and see what you think! ;)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Hey Dave,  you might want to look up the pros and cons of using play sand in the garden.  Its not like regular sand.  Play sand is bad for drainage problems, it holds to much water.  Look it up and see what you think! ;)

Oh man oh man, I've been using it for years!

I’ve never heard this about play sand… but I find it hard to believe your drainage is that poor. Your soil looks pretty sandy to me. I’d actually really like some of that at my property . I’ve got some decent natural top soil but after about a foot down it’s pretty rugged clay . 

20 minutes ago, RJ said:

I’ve never heard this about play sand… but I find it hard to believe your drainage is that poor. Your soil looks pretty sandy to me. I’d actually really like some of that at my property . I’ve got some decent natural top soil but after about a foot down it’s pretty rugged clay . 

Here's a pic of the hole after digging down some more; It's right around 2.5 feet deep right now.  It does appear very sandy but seeing a decent puddle almost 24 hours later had me pretty concerned. I'm going to make sure the Sylvester is planted in a slightly raised position along with the gravel and sand amendments just as an added precaution. 

20220316_160614.jpg

20220316_161810.jpg

20220316_161822.jpg

20220316_161840.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 1

Interesting …. You must have a layer of clay below the sand. I’m in the transition zone between sand and the red clay in the piedmont. So I’ve got a tarnish clay but it still holds water like a sponge. Not as bad as the brick red clay up north but it’s still pretty fine. 10 miles from me is pure sand. 

I'm in the process of building my house now. About sick of clay with all this rain. I knocked off most of the damm stuff stuck to my boots :unsure:

C76B6767-E213-49FC-B6FE-0A45B1FEC8D9.jpeg

• Like 2

@RJ I'm tempted to keep digging to see what's going on haha.

those boots are giving me flashbacks of digging (or attempting to dig) in clay. Horrible. 

Really enjoying those work-in-progress posts (should probably do some myself). Can't wait to see a palm in that hole! (the pressure!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swolte said:

Really enjoying those work-in-progress posts (should probably do some myself). Can't wait to see a palm in that hole! (the pressure!)

Always under pressure brother, hopefully this move works out. If not, Plan B :shaka-2:

• Like 1

I say dig down a bit. It’s possible there is just a layer holding the water and if you breakthrough it will drain well.

• Like 1

Ok so I've decided no palm will ever go in this spot, I dunno what the hell is going on with the drainage but I'm not gonna fight with it. Instead I'm going to convert it into a water feature and line it with alphonse karr bamboo. 

Think I have another spot for the Sylvester...

20220325_175758.jpg

20220326_171908.jpg

20220326_171913.jpg

• Like 5

Oh man you would never plant anything in the ground if you saw how long water sits in a hole over here :D:blink2:

• Like 1

How much were the bamboo clumps? You can pm me if you rather. Assume they were local? 

2 hours ago, RJ said:

How much were the bamboo clumps? You can pm me if you rather. Assume they were local? 

Yea i got them from a small nursery in North myrtle at 240 each. Definitely not cheap but it's hard to beat the bang for your buck you get from bamboo

• Like 1

Dang that's over double what I typically pay for bamboo up here.  Local bamboo guy digs up sections maybe 25 gal size and sells them for $100/pop.   Commercial nurseries do charge more however.  

56 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Dang that's over double what I typically pay for bamboo up here.  Local bamboo guy digs up sections maybe 25 gal size and sells them for $100/pop.   Commercial nurseries do charge more however.  

That's cheap. Hopefully at some point in my garden adventure I'll be able to make money on some of my plants. Bamboo propagation should be worth the time. 

On 3/27/2022 at 12:40 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Yea i got them from a small nursery in North myrtle at 240 each. Definitely not cheap but it's hard to beat the bang for your buck you get from bamboo

I bought a Bambusa Oldhamii for 80 dollars on etsy from a nursery in Florida. Consider that route in the future. Far cheaper. 

3 minutes ago, Bambooperson said:

I bought a Bambusa Oldhamii for 80 dollars on etsy from a nursery in Florida. Consider that route in the future. Far cheaper. 

How big was it for 80?