Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Yard/Landscaping Progress


DAVEinMB

Recommended Posts

On 10/20/2022 at 5:27 PM, DAVEinMB said:

And that concludes today's installment

Thanks for looking, 

Dave

Cold hardy palms at their best…really well done!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Cold hardy palms at their best…really well done!

Thanks Greg! I've had pretty good luck so far

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to include this guy in my end of season update. Cared very little about being relocated and after this growing season has a little over 6 foot of clear trunk

20221024_224636.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So it looks like my little Roebelenii / Dactylifera hybrid is developing multiple growth points. Was hoping it would stay single trunk but wishful thinking based on the cross. I guess we'll see what she ends up looking like. 

20221106_151243.jpg

20221106_151303.jpg

20221106_151321.jpg

20221106_151346.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

So it looks like my little Roebelenii / Dactylifera hybrid is developing multiple growth points. Was hoping it would stay single trunk but wishful thinking based on the cross. I guess we'll see what she ends up looking like. 

20221106_151243.jpg

20221106_151303.jpg

20221106_151321.jpg

20221106_151346.jpg

Cool. I wondered if that cross was ever done. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Cool. I wondered if that cross was ever done. 

Yea I'm excited to see what it ends up looking like. Was sourced from Mule Palms of Mississippi back in June of 2020. I can't remember which direction the cross was but I think he had it listed as Dactylifera x Roebelenii 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Updates on the bear? 🤣

I think he's been back! My ensente banana was knocked over and something crushed my tree fern

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I think he's been back! My ensente banana was knocked over and something crushed my tree fern

The bear just wants a nice salad

Just like my dog wanted a nice foxtailish salad, and he sure as hell got it. I was not happy about it, but its still living and growing today so all is well.

Edit: I think its permanently stunted, but thats probably a good thing since its in the ground lol

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DAVEinMBhow much sun are the Lytocaryum Hoehnei getting?  I bought a couple from Floribunda last fall and a couple of L. Weddellianum from MB Palms at the Leu Gardens sale in March.  I was thinking of trying one in the ground in the spring, but I don't have much in the way of shady spots yet.  Any thoughts on AM/PM shade/sun?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Merlyn said:

@DAVEinMBhow much sun are the Lytocaryum Hoehnei getting?  I bought a couple from Floribunda last fall and a couple of L. Weddellianum from MB Palms at the Leu Gardens sale in March.  I was thinking of trying one in the ground in the spring, but I don't have much in the way of shady spots yet.  Any thoughts on AM/PM shade/sun?

They each get a few hours of indirect sun during the afternoon. The one that gets more sun doesn't look quite as good. I would imagine if they received morning sun (even if it was direct) and saw shade the rest of the day they would probably look the same

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

They each get a few hours of indirect sun during the afternoon. The one that gets more sun doesn't look quite as good. I would imagine if they received morning sun (even if it was direct) and saw shade the rest of the day they would probably look the same

Gotcha, thanks for the info!  I suspect mine will live in pots in the nursery area for a little bit longer...or get planted directly in the nursery area.  Right now mine are in pretty solid canopy with Queens above, then a tangle of Bottle and Flamethrower fronds...and then the L. Hoehnei hiding below.  They seem happy and dark green there, with almost no direct sun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2022 at 7:54 AM, JLM said:

The bear just wants a nice salad

Just like my dog wanted a nice foxtailish salad, and he sure as hell got it. I was not happy about it, but its still living and growing today so all is well.

Edit: I think its permanently stunted, but thats probably a good thing since its in the ground lol

You know we need pics of the dog for scientific purposes, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

You know we need pics of the dog for scientific purposes, right?

Unfortunately per my parents (i am 16), i am not allowed to post pictures of anybody, including pets. I seriously would, i would love to post pictures of these very not small bundles of joy lol (heaviest dog is almost 80 lbs!!)

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Unfortunately per my parents (i am 16), i am not allowed to post pictures of anybody, including pets. I seriously would, i would love to post pictures of these very not small bundles of joy lol (heaviest dog is almost 80 lbs!!)

Understood. Just boop their snoots, that's good enough. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Understood. Just boop their snoots, that's good enough. 

Will do!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Understood. Just boop their snoots, that's good enough. 

Ill make up for it with this washingtonia Destroyer

 

P1020187.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lucas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Little Tex said:

Ill make up for it with this washingtonia Destroyer

 

P1020187.JPG

Good puppers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 4:29 PM, DAVEinMB said:

So it looks like my little Roebelenii / Dactylifera hybrid is developing multiple growth points. Was hoping it would stay single trunk but wishful thinking based on the cross. I guess we'll see what she ends up looking like. 

20221106_151321.jpg

 

You can always cut the suckers off to keep it single-trunked, but you'll be cutting and cutting and cutting.  :)  Dactylifera and theophrasti sucker like crazy.  Or if you like the looks of it you can let some of the suckers grow out a few years before cutting them off and starting a new plant that will be identical to the mother.   Not sure how big they would have to be to root them because roebelenii trunks aren't that big, but it can be done.   Yours looks like it inherited the trunk size from roebelenii and the suckering habit from dactylifera.  How stiff are the petiole spines?  They look stiffer than roebelenii.

  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

You can always cut the suckers off to keep it single-trunked, but you'll be cutting and cutting and cutting.  :)  Dactylifera and theophrasti sucker like crazy.  Or if you like the looks of it you can let some of the suckers grow out a few years before cutting them off and starting a new plant that will be identical to the mother.   Not sure how big they would have to be to root them because roebelenii trunks aren't that big, but it can be done.   Yours looks like it inherited the trunk size from roebelenii and the suckering habit from dactylifera.  How stiff are the petiole spines?  They look stiffer than roebelenii.

It's sited in a location that has room for it to sucker a bit so I think I'm going to let it do its thing and see how it ends up looking. However I may wake up one day and grab the Sawzall, who knows haha. I attached a picture of where I have it planted, might be hard to tell but there really isn't anything around it in that corner. It's been in the ground since late summer of 2020 and has been somewhat slow growing but I will say it's looking more and more like it's appearance traits are leaning toward roebelenii. It has been cold tested to 19F and lived to tell the tale so i know it at least can handle the upper teens but maybe that will improve a bit as it gains mass.  The spines aren't incredibly stiff but they are more than capable of drawing blood. Last year at this time I couldn't cut myself if I tried. Second pic is right after planting it. 

20221123_161542.jpg

20200727_140525.thumb.jpg.a88abc96526117e3873f91d52227525e.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Little queen still pushing growth. November 30th to December 9th

 

 

 

 

20221209_084231.jpg

20221209_084221.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Well David strikes again...

That $12 queen above spear pulled following the December 22 cold snap we had here. The first picture shows how I wrapped it. the next few pictures show ultimately where I had to cut to find good tissue as well as how I'm going to attempt saving it. I don't know why the hell I didn't protect the entire trunk, ugh. 

Gonna give it some fertilizer this coming week, fingers crossed. 

20221223_164900.jpg

20230107_120325.jpg

20230107_120615.jpg

20230107_121012.jpg

20230107_121229.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would'nt that bucket form a terrarium and go against a dry environment and also invite rot?

Seems like a glass plate leaning over the palm stump would help and increase drying.

Or are you expecting low temperatures again?

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Would'nt that bucket form a terrarium and go against a dry environment and also invite rot?

Seems like a glass plate leaning over the palm stump would help and increase drying.

Or are you expecting low temperatures again?

 

Hmmm I'm glad you brought that up because once again I'm not thinking haha. I'll reconfigure it somehow

We aren't forecasted to see any significant cold but the weather isn't really conducive to growth either. My thought is if I can encourage growth now it'll have a better chance at survival than if it sits more or less idle until spring

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Hmmm I'm glad you brought that up because once again I'm not thinking haha. I'll reconfigure it somehow

We aren't forecasted to see any significant cold but the weather isn't really conducive to growth either. My thought is if I can encourage growth now it'll have a better chance at survival than if it sits more or less idle until spring

And I think you want it have light/sun

  • Like 2

9a NE Florida: 2 Phoenix Sylvester; 1 p.robellini; 2 Bismarckia nobilis; 1 Trachycarpus fortunei; 3  livistonia chenesis; 1 Dypsis decaryi; 1 Rhapis excelsa; 1 Sabal palmetto; 1 (double) Copernicia alba; 1 Chamaedorea catractarum 1 Licuala grandis, 1 Beaucanea recurvata, numerous cycads, tropicals, orchids. Winter 2022/23 Low 25F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll have to take some pics of my queens here in Charleston to get your opinion on them. They don’t look good 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, South Carolina palms said:

I’ll have to take some pics of my queens here in Charleston to get your opinion on them. They don’t look good 

021AC6DC-8DC0-4738-9BB9-F4D44E76D23B.thumb.jpeg.9f9ff8aeaf007bfa05cfe65bbfcd752f.jpeg32271E32-F125-4E75-9AC3-4C88EBA49503.thumb.jpeg.3cd9af8cd1c654287dc0ec16a0f1725b.jpegD8C619FD-54B9-42A3-BBBC-4AA46C7BAAE1.thumb.jpeg.f052d0716c5b07c0b3d271906f1aa283.jpeg
The spears didn’t pull,the fronds are gone. But wanted an opinion on the palms overall if they’ll make it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, South Carolina palms said:

021AC6DC-8DC0-4738-9BB9-F4D44E76D23B.thumb.jpeg.9f9ff8aeaf007bfa05cfe65bbfcd752f.jpeg32271E32-F125-4E75-9AC3-4C88EBA49503.thumb.jpeg.3cd9af8cd1c654287dc0ec16a0f1725b.jpegD8C619FD-54B9-42A3-BBBC-4AA46C7BAAE1.thumb.jpeg.f052d0716c5b07c0b3d271906f1aa283.jpeg
The spears didn’t pull,the fronds are gone. But wanted an opinion on the palms overall if they’ll make it. 

No spear pull is always a good sign, means the growth point (at least currently) isn't damaged. The foliage doesn't look great but it isn't a death sentence. Don't cut anything off them until spring when you start noticing new growth.i would also mark the newest spear with a marker to track if they're growing and apply some peroxide to the growth point and listen for any fizzing. 

I don't think they're in as bad a shape as they look

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Livistona Chinensis looking worse, mules do not seem to care, at all. 

Been pretty warm here recently

 

 

 

 

How did your bamboo fair? I want to try the same variety here.

 

there is a decent clump of Chinensis growing in chapin that looks about like yours. Interesting to see how it fairs. 

Edited by RJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...