IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NCFM

I potted these sabals about a month ago and they don't seem to be doing too well. I ordered all three of them online from a palm nursery in Florida and they did arrive with a few wilting/discolored fronds. What worries me is that there has been little to no improvement in their condition since. I water them once every 1-2 days, make sure they get plenty of sun, and I potted them in well draining, palm specific soil. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but any tips would be greatly appreciated. (BTW: I plan to overwinter them inside in pots and then plant them in the ground next spring if they're still alive)

Here's a few pictures of them:

Sabal1.jpg.a0fde1e017855f83d29b5e64020f1430.jpgSabal2.jpg.3145e708ccfc72d3ed847a0df35e4f54.jpgSabal3.jpg.2badbb5a24a3ccac0d3af7de09c669f4.jpg

How much sun do they get ? Were these palms shade grown ? Mine gets about 8 hrs a day and grows like a weed. Mark the new spears and check to see how much there growing. The brown tipping could be from not enough water these palms cant be drowned =) 

• Like 1

T J 

Were they shipped bare root? I find certain palms , Sabals included take a month or two to get back in the swing of things if they have been shipped bare root. 

4 hours ago, RJ said:

Were they shipped bare root? I find certain palms , Sabals included take a month or two to get back in the swing of things if they have been shipped bare root. 

Yes, they were shipped bare root. Hopefully that’s the only problem

For all my bare root seedlings i over water the palms when first planted, to get the soil air free around your roots 

• Like 1

T J 

5 hours ago, Turtlesteve said:

I agree with RJ - they don't like being bare rooted.  Should be OK with time.

Same experience for me.  I find small sabals grow very slow and pick up speed with size.

• Like 1

It's possible your plants are putting their energy first into developing an underground stem, as an evolutionary survival mechanism, before developing new leaves: http://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/DigFlora/Waller/trunk/SAMI8-undergnd.html

• Like 1

My Sabal minor 'Dallas' that I planted as bare root seedlings into the ground took about one and a half months to do anything. Then they all got new spears coming up and have been pumping out fronds ever since. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

• 1 year later...