IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need help selecting pots to re pot seedlings plz

Hardypalms

Hi

I just received some great looking seedlings from an IPS member.  I want to buy some of these tall pots online as box stores don't have them. (I am USA based)

Can anybody point me in the right direction on "Thatzone site or that bay site"?

Also I have some sand on hand when they installed my pool 4 years ago. Is it ok to use that instead of perlite to repot? Do I mix at 50% sand or perlite and 50% potting mix?

Thxs a lot

Pat

Ok.  I had recently bought treepots from the Greenhouse Megastore.  They had the best online prices.  I cannot find them locally either.  They had 9", 14" and 16" ones.

IMO  Sand is ok but will compact more so than Perlite.   Perlite helps stop compaction and also retains some water.   I would go with more like 3 parts potting soil, 1 part perlite, and up to 1 part sand.  Make sure it drains well but dont make it cacti or succulent soil that just drains through and dries in 1 day.

I also searched around for awhile. If I would find tree pots they would not ship to me here in FL. Or if they did, once you added shipping, it was more than the price at Greenhouse Megastore. I purchased the 9” deep pots and they have worked out very well.

Be carefully with to much sand. If it is fine sand it will retain to much water. I agree with the above, I wouldn’t put more than 1 part sand with 3 parts of a potting soil.

Regards,

You guys rock, I didn't know about that megastore. I am dropping the sand, it's not worth killing my seedlings. Shall I get the perlite at that megastore too?

They have that:

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/supplies/soil-and-soil-amendments/perlite

20 quarts bag?

I hope it's ok to put the link, if not my apologies moderator.

Thxs again

Pat

@jimmyt what common palms require the 14" deepots ? I know for sure Bizzies need them. Which palms need taller then 9" for seedlings ? 

T J 

Maybe not so common, but Medemia argun, Hyphaene sp. and Livistona alfredii come to mind.  I had this Hyphaene coriacea outgrow a 14" treepot within a few weeks.

1593551572_Hyphaeneroot.thumb.jpg.078acf08d268c4a4d7f91b4aca31368d.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

@Fusca Thats definitely not a common palm haha very cool tho. Im also in the market for seedling pots with a nice tray organizer. Looking at Green house megastore or stuewe & sons. Just wasnt sure if im gonna go with all 14" or some 9" deepots. 

T J 

On 9/6/2019 at 1:07 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@jimmyt what common palms require the 14" deepots ? I know for sure Bizzies need them. Which palms need taller then 9" for seedlings ? 

I use 4x10's for all my seedlings. Sabals seem to especially  enjoy them. 

CIMG2875.JPG

Edited by RJ

On 9/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, Hardypalms said:

You guys rock, I didn't know about that megastore. I am dropping the sand, it's not worth killing my seedlings. Shall I get the perlite at that megastore too?

They have that:

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/supplies/soil-and-soil-amendments/perlite

20 quarts bag?

I hope it's ok to put the link, if not my apologies moderator.

Thxs again

Pat

You can get the perlite at any of the big stores. I have switched entirely over to Turface MVP which IMO is superior to perlite and won't "float" to the top.  

Agreed.  Home Depot now selling big bags of perlite down in my “hood”.   Also many farm and ranch stores sell big bag perlite too. Tree pots are not required but many of the above named palms grow with more ease in the treepots due to their long taproots.  9” inch is probably a safe all around choice.  But dang!  Just look at my 16”.........tree pot!  :floor:

2 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Agreed.  Home Depot now selling big bags of perlite down in my “hood”.   Also many farm and ranch stores sell big bag perlite too. Tree pots are not required but many of the above named palms grow with more ease in the treepots due to their long taproots.  9” inch is probably a safe all around choice.  But dang!  Just look at my 16”.........tree pot!  :floor:

:floor: My what a big deepot you got there 

3 hours ago, RJ said:

You can get the perlite at any of the big stores. I have switched entirely over to Turface MVP which IMO is superior to perlite and won't "float" to the top.  

I agree on turface, plus its actually cheaper then perlite. RJ where do you get your 4x10's from ? 

• Upvote 1

T J 

These are from Stuewe & Sons to be honest I have had these for a long time. I have lots of different sizes/trays from when I lived in the tundra up by Canada and grew lots of different trees with leaves :lol:

I believe that Stuewe & Sons are the manufacturers of the tree pots I bought from Greenhouse Megastore. A 9 “ tree pot measures 9” x 4”,  so not a  significant difference from a 4” x 10” pot if you use my tape measure!  BTW: I put mine in the plastic milk crates that you can buy at Tractor Supply etc.  That keeps them from falling over!.

14 minutes ago, Hardypalms said:

Thanks a lot everybody, treepots and Turface MVP ordered.

Regards

Pat

Hey Pat where did you order your Turface from ? Hopefully you found a local shop to get it from . Internet sellers are exponentially more expensive =/ 

T J 

37 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Hey Pat where did you order your Turface from ? Hopefully you found a local shop to get it from . Internet sellers are exponentially more expensive =/ 

I was sure someone was going to tell me something like that after I ordered LOL , but I had to move fast as some of my W.filifera are not doing so good in plastic cups. I got on amazon, I don't even know where a local shop might be and don't have time to go, too much to do around the house.

Thxs again

Pat

It's ~$15.00 for a 50lb bag. Good stuff. The tray I have pictured above is deceivingly heavy as a result of the stuff. So it's also a bonus if you have a windy day here and there to help weigh the plants down.  

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

https://www.turface.com/find-a-distributor

Try Ewing Irrigation, not sure exactly where in Atlanta you are but from here on forward if you have the palm bug, youll be needing more in the future and for a better price =) 

Yes I found 3 sellers not too far from me. I will go there after I finish the bag I ordered.

Thxs to RJ too

Pat

This is another option that I have been using for small seedlings. These are S. bermudana and S. Causiarum seedlings that arrived from @cfkingfish today.  These are 2.5"x10", nice tray system that holds up to qty 20.

CIMG2876.JPG

• Like 1

They're great. Wish you where closer I have probably a dozen of these in storage. But they're perfect for small seedlings, especially deep rooted ones. :greenthumb:

3 hours ago, RJ said:

This is another option that I have been using for small seedlings. These are S. bermudana and S. Causiarum seedlings that arrived from @cfkingfish today.  These are 2.5"x10", nice tray system that holds up to qty 20.

CIMG2876.JPG

Nice setup indeed

Pat

1 hour ago, RJ said:

They're great. Wish you where closer I have probably a dozen of these in storage. But they're perfect for small seedlings, especially deep rooted ones. :greenthumb:

A dozen trays and pots ? Name your price haha 

T J 

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying 4*14 and 6*16 treepots for palm and cycad seedlings, though the 2.5*10 conetainers would probably work well for most of my stuff.  Some of the cycads grow a long carrotlike root, some grow a ball, so pot shape matters a bit there too.

I was at HD the other day and saw 'paver base' in $5 big bags, it looked to be about 3x to 5x the diameter granules compared to play sand.  I'm not sure of the composition, but maybe that's a good 'coarse sand' replacement?