IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Suggestion on images

RedRabbit

I suggest removing images from quotes. When you reply to someone the images really aren’t needed and just provide redundant content. The problem is they can significantly lengthen the page and slow down the load time.

Instead of removing images outright, another good option would be giving them some sort of text placeholder. That should be sufficient to avoid any confusion and improve the user’s experience.

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I like this suggestion.  I typically remove the images manually if my quoting brings them along and just keep the text.  If there are very few posts and only one post by the person I want to address, I typically use the mention option instead.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It says a lot that at least 3 of us are going out of our way to manually remove images. There should be an easy technical fix for this, either through adjusting the forum options or editing the php. 

Edited by RedRabbit

Some other forums I frequent change the photo's to links to 3rd party hosting and some just eliminate them. This is one of the few forums I use that still hosts pics rather than require 3rd party hosting. Dunno if that's part of the reason the pics are included in quotes.

2 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

It says a lot that at least 3 of us are going out of our way to manually remove images. There should be an easy technical fix for this, either through adjusting the forum options or editing the php. 

Just highlight whatever part of the text you wish to quote and click on the "Quote Selection" that then appears. That way you only have to quote exactly what part of the post you are replying to. Only the text that you highlighted will appear in the Quote Box and nothing else.

That saves extraneous text as well.

• Like 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

Some other forums I frequent change the photo's to links to 3rd party hosting and some just eliminate them. This is one of the few forums I use that still hosts pics rather than require 3rd party hosting. Dunno if that's part of the reason the pics are included in quotes.

Not really - as I discussed above, there are easy ways to include or exclude photos/text when quoting. It is up to the poster.

BTW - we like to host photos here because then they will never disappear when a hosting company (or a poster) changes their account or policies. If you have noticed, there are many older topics where the photos have vanished - especially those hosted on PhotoBucket - who have recently changed their policies/quotas once again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Just highlight whatever part of the text you wish to quote and click on the "Quote Selection" that then appears.

I like this and now that I'm aware I'll use it. However, it's not intuitive so most won't know about it or use it other than those following this thread. Attrition over time will remove those of us who are aware and newcomers won't know the feature exists.

One of the great things about forums like this is the ability to search old topics. Unfortunately, that's also one of the reasons current thread traffic (on most forums) has slowed down as time goes by. No need to start a new thread with a question other members can then answer. Meanwhile folks have noticed forums getting less and less new threads. This may be one of the reasons some forums won't host pics. If pics disappear because companies go out or implement fees new threads will pop up asking for certain pics.

19 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Just highlight whatever part of the text you wish to quote and click on the "Quote Selection" that then appears. That way you only have to quote exactly what part of the post you are replying to. Only the text that you highlighted will appear in the Quote Box and nothing else.

That saves extraneous text as well.

That's a good tip, but wouldn't you agree it would be better to just remove all images from quotes automatically? The problem is situations like this:

1. Someone posts 10 great images.
  2. 9 people quote them, thereby reposting the same 10 images. 
  3. I come into the thread and after a lot of scrolling I see the same 10 images 10 times. 

I can remove the images so they're not posted an 11th time, but it doesn't really fix the root of the problem. 

18 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

BTW - we like to host photos here because then they will never disappear when a hosting company (or a poster) changes their account or policies. If you have noticed, there are many older topics where the photos have vanished - especially those hosted on PhotoBucket - who have recently changed their policies/quotas once again.

I always use 3rd party image hosting purely due to the upload limit. 

37 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

That's a good tip, but wouldn't you agree it would be better to just remove all images from quotes automatically?

There is no optimal solution. If you don't have the option (if it automatically excluded them) to include pics in the quote, then many times with longer or "bumped older" topics with many posted pics you have no idea what pic is being replied/referred to. So, you have to go back, sometimes to a previous page looking for the post being quoted and then check out the pics.

The third alternative is to make all pics thumbnails so they don't take up so much space - but then you have to click on them if you want the larger size. That is the way we used to do it. But of course there were those who don't like that option either. Personally I preferred that option, especially when viewing on a mobile platform. 

Of course it has a lot to do with how you view/read the Forum. If you view the latest unread posts first - you would always have to scroll back up to see what pic is being discussed - and no telling how far away that might be. 

As always, we are open to suggestions/opinions.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

I always use 3rd party image hosting purely due to the upload limit. 

If I'm not mistaken, IPS Members have unlimited upload limits.

Correction - I believe upload limits were changed to Unlimited (for everyone) last year due to all the larger phone pics. When was the last time you were limited?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, PALM MOD said:

There is no optimal solution. If you don't have the option (if it automatically excluded them) to include pics in the quote, then many times with longer or "bumped older" topics with many posted pics you have no idea what pic is being replied/referred to. So, you have to go back, sometimes to a previous page looking for the post being quoted and then check out the pics.

The third alternative is to make all pics thumbnails so they don't take up so much space - but then you have to click on them if you want the larger size. That is the way we used to do it. But of course there were those who don't like that option either. Personally I preferred that option, especially when viewing on a mobile platform. 

Of course it has a lot to do with how you view/read the Forum. If you view the latest unread posts first - you would always have to scroll back up to see what pic is being discussed - and no telling how far away that might be. 

As always, we are open to suggestions/opinions.

I think I agree with you on thumbnails being the best option. It seems like a good middleground where you can still see the image, but it doesn't make thread pages too long if you quote 10 images. 

On 9/1/2019 at 9:21 PM, PALM MOD said:

If I'm not mistaken, IPS Members have unlimited upload limits.

Correction - I believe upload limits were changed to Unlimited (for everyone) last year due to all the larger phone pics. When was the last time you were limited?

Wow, good to know! I probably haven't checked on this in 2 years and didn't realize it changed. Now that I know upload limits are unlimited I'll stop using 3rd party image hosting. :greenthumb:

4 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, good to know! I probably haven't checked on this in 2 years and didn't realize it changed. Now that I know upload limits are unlimited I'll stop using 3rd party image hosting. :greenthumb:

While we try to provide some incentives for becoming IPS Members (unlimited uploading), we also don't wish to discourage participation. In addition, there have been other reasons why a User would choose to delete all of their photos (if hosted elsewhere), so having them hosted here (although it entails some costs) assures that they stay available. So we encourage uploading here.

4 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I think I agree with you on thumbnails being the best option. It seems like a good middleground where you can still see the image, but it doesn't make thread pages too long if you quote 10 images.

I'll wait and see if there is other feedback. If sufficient interest, I can bring this issue up with the PT Committee. FWIW - I think the thumbnail option also allows for quicker page loading, and it was what we used many years ago when faster internet speeds were not as widely available (remember dail-up modems?) :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

@kinzyjr and @NOT A TA, do you guys think replacing full images with thumbnails would be an improvement?

Yes, I agree.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I like the ones that are in between the thumb nail & full size. Thumb nail are too small to see IMO so people would end up having to expand every thumb to view it which gets old really fast. If you scroll down in this thread you'll see a pic I posted that's the size I like. https://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/565154-suspension-upgrades/ b  It's big enough to see as is, but if you want to see it bigger you just left click it.  While it's large enough to view, it's small enough so if you post 4-5-6 pics it's easy to scroll through them and much better when scrolling through multiple quotes with the same pics.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 8:39 PM, RedRabbit said:
  • Someone posts 10 great images.
  • 9 people quote them, thereby reposting the same 10 images. 
  • I come into the thread and after a lot of scrolling I see the same 10 images 10 times. 

This was the reason many years ago (waaaay before the blackout) I had to switch from a simple free Photobucket account to a paid service. It wasn't because I was exceeding storage limits, they said it was because of the number of times my pics were viewed on forums and they were babbling computer tech stuff and mumbling about bandwidth usage or something. I have some threads on car forums with lots of pics and hundreds of thousands of views. IIRC I had to start paying back when I was still on dial up with a 3" floppy camera ahaha. In any case I was OK with it and expected to have to pay eventually because as we learn in  economics 101 "There's no such thing as a free lunch".

4 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I like the ones that are in between the thumb nail & full size. Thumb nail are too small to see IMO so people would end up having to expand every thumb to view it which gets old really fast. If you scroll down in this thread you'll see a pic I posted that's the size I like. https://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/565154-suspension-upgrades/ b  It's big enough to see as is, but if you want to see it bigger you just left click it.  While it's large enough to view, it's small enough so if you post 4-5-6 pics it's easy to scroll through them and much better when scrolling through multiple quotes with the same pics.

There is never going to be a "one size fits all" solution. We are almost at a point where there is a 50/50 split between desktop and mobile viewing. Thumbnails (or even "larger thumbnails" are still very small on a phone screen. I can do some more research and see if there aren't some solutions (or coming solutions) that could help us out. Until then, still waiting for any additional feedback.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, kinzyjr said:

Yes, I agree.

Yes, I usually remove them or if I want to keep them I reduce the size of them in the reply, Usually to something like 480x320 etc... Clickable thumbnails would work IMO. 

• Like 1

Always thought it was common internet etiquette not to quote pictures. I'm not a fan of thumbnails, sure the extra scrolling is annoying but having to click/tap every time to view photos is even more annoying. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)